I'm A Current College Student & I Need Your Professional Opinions Please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CyberCT

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My name is Chris and I'm doing a group report on nanotechnology. Right now my main area of focus is what medical professionals think about this emerging technology. Here is my question list. I thank you in advance for participating!

1) Nanomedicine
A) Would you prescribe it?

B) If no, what would hold you back from prescribing it?

C) Do you have any fears about liability in case it were to go wrong?

2) Are you excited about thess technologies? Do you feel nanomedicine is feasable?

3) How much knowldedge do you currently have about nanomedicine? (0 - 100%). Rate yourself in that range

4) What fears do you have about nanotechnology?

If you have no idea what these are you may skip over them. If you do know, please answer the questions to the best of you ability. If you need anything clarified just let me know. Again, I am very thankful for your support and participation!

Members don't see this ad.

I see that your post has been up for a while without any responses so I think I will throw you a bone...

Perhaps you should be more specific. The term "nanomedicine" is pretty freaking broad. In what context are you trying to define it?

I can answer a couple of them for you

3) 0%
4) I'm afraid the government will use it to take over our brains.

1) Nanomedicine

A) Would you prescribe it?

For molecular applications to physiology, yes.

anything that involves neural assimilation; I would prescribe machiens to clean out arteries, but never implants in the brain.

C) Do you have any fears about liability in case it were to go wrong?

of course. Anything man-made can and will fail. Nothing is perfect.

2) Are you excited about thess technologies? Do you feel nanomedicine is feasable?

Yes and Yes, especially with new leaps and bounds in the field of nanocomputers.

3) How much knowldedge do you currently have about nanomedicine? (0 - 100%). Rate yourself in that range

95%. Top levels of industry and political leadership.

Neural applications; Rebuiding nerves is fine, but invading the brain and neural network? Not good..

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for responding. edinOH, I realize I'm being broad but I don't have much knowledge with nanotechnology in the medical field yet. I'm not a medical student either, for that matter. I just know the basic concept and I need some people with a medical expertise to help me out to the best of their ability.

I thank you both for your feedback.

Everyone else, please just answer the questions any way you can.

Originally posted by Blitzkrieg
1) Nanomedicine

anything that involves neural assimilation; I would prescribe machiens to clean out arteries, but never implants in the brain.

95%. Top levels of industry and political leadership.

Neural applications; Rebuiding nerves is fine, but invading the brain and neural network? Not good..

I think these three responses really speak for themselves. For someone who is "in the top levels of industry and political leadership" you really sound pretty ignorant. You have seen too many science fiction movies. So because someone gets nano-therapy on an organ that happens to provide cognition they are going to get some Buck Rogers boots and a lazer and start saying "KILL HU-MANS" in a robot voice?

If and when good evidence is available that this techology is good for neural applications, then the technology can and should be used. If indeed nanotechnology used in "neural assmilation" (I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you aren't just making this stuff up) has a problem, hopefully future refinements on the technology can reveal its tremendous promise.

Why make silly and baseless assertions? When the time comes these treatment modalities should be evaluated cautiously, just like every other.

Why do I feel like I'm the only one who realizes EdinOH and Blitzkrieg are just kidding around..........