I'm a D.D.S. applying to medical school.........

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nebuladds

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have very little factual information about the medical school admissions process and can only assume it's similar to dental school, but a little more competitive.

I had a very low undegraduate GPA, which necessitated a masters degree (with a very good GPA) to get into dental school. My performance in dental school wasn't spectacular, but it was definitely solid...I did well there. After finishing dental school, I went on to do a year of hospital-based training in oral surgery where I decided I wanted to be a physician. I will take the MCAT in two days, and have no idea how well or how poorly I will do on it (since I'm studying material I haven't seen since taking the Dental Admissions Test 9 years ago, anything can happen).

I realize you folks are not admissions experts, but perhaps might have a better assessment of what medical schools are seeking in applicants. What role will a masters degree, a D.D.S. degree, and a year of hospital residency play in my chances?

Obviously, in terms of medical knowledge, diagnosis, patient interaction, and other such aspects of healthcare, my education and experiences put me way ahead of the game. I'm wondering, however, how much medical schools will focus on my undergraduate numbers and my yet to be determined MCAT scores?

Anyone have any good guesses?

Members don't see this ad.

nebuladds said:
I have very little factual information about the medical school admissions process and can only assume it's similar to dental school, but a little more competitive.

I had a very low undegraduate GPA, which necessitated a masters degree (with a very good GPA) to get into dental school. My performance in dental school wasn't spectacular, but it was definitely solid...I did well there. After finishing dental school, I went on to do a year of hospital-based training in oral surgery where I decided I wanted to be a physician. I will take the MCAT in two days, and have no idea how well or how poorly I will do on it (since I'm studying material I haven't seen since taking the Dental Admissions Test 9 years ago, anything can happen).

I realize you folks are not admissions experts, but perhaps might have a better assessment of what medical schools are seeking in applicants. What role will a masters degree, a D.D.S. degree, and a year of hospital residency play in my chances?

Obviously, in terms of medical knowledge, diagnosis, patient interaction, and other such aspects of healthcare, my education and experiences put me way ahead of the game. I'm wondering, however, how much medical schools will focus on my undergraduate numbers and my yet to be determined MCAT scores?

Anyone have any good guesses?

I know an oral surgeon who got an MD after finishing dental school and his oral surgery residency. He only did the last two years of medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
nebuladds said:
I'm wondering, however, how much medical schools will focus on my undergraduate numbers and my yet to be determined MCAT scores?

I doubt they would focus on those numbers much at all - if you were able to successfully obtain a DDS (not an easy feat) they should know that you will be able to meet the rigors of getting an MD.

Unless you do incredibly bad on the MCAT, I don't think you'll have a problem getting into medical school.

alansda said:
I just want to tell you that many other successful doctors have also changed plans, just like you have. Good luck.
This guy did not change plans. He has both degrees because thats how the path of the highly-competitive OMFS is structured. After dental school, they spend some time in medical school and take the boards.

Interesting. Maybe you want to follow a OMFS path and take advantage of your dental education nebuladds? :)

Nebuladds. I think the skills you learned as a dentist will definitely come in handy during med school. And I wonder too which GPA will get the focus: dental, masters, undergrad? I think the difficult part will be explaining the change of interest. You're gonna have to have a pretty unique personal statement. I think that some doctors (who are on ADCOMS of course) have the stereotype that people who couldn't get into med school go to dental school. And your low undergrad GPA won't help you get away from this stereotype. Also, did you apply for oral surgery at any point and get rejected? I wonder if you have to disclose that when applying to med school. If you did apply, some might question your sincerity i think.

Anyone have any good guesses?[/QUOTE]

I think that you shouldn't have much of a problem getting into a good med school, provided your MCAT is good. From speaking to some admissions directors, I discovered that schools like when students apply to med school after trying different occupations. Med schools don't really like when undergrad students apply and claim that they are sure they want to practice medicine when they have not at least been exposed to other professions. Good luck on the MCAT. I hope you succeed where ever you go.