I’m a DO applying to Sports Medicine fellowship...which Family Medicine Boards should I take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which FM board exam to take?

• ABFM

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • AOBFP

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Both

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

cgcoz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m a DO applying to Sports Medicine fellowships. I’m trying to decide which Family Medicine Board exams to take. I’ve spoken with a handful of providers who all recommend different things. Some ABFM, some AOBFP - Some recommended both exams.

A CAQ is available down either route (ABFM or AOCSMEC), but is there one that is preferred?

Right now my plan is to take both exams so that I can get my CAQ with ABFM and also graduate my residency with FM &OMT. However, I’d prefer to just take 1 test. I don’t love standardized tests. And I think maintaining both licenses will be annoying/overwhelming. Any recommendations or words of advice?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I’m a DO applying to Sports Medicine fellowships. I’m trying to decide which Family Medicine Board exams to take. I’ve spoken with a handful of providers who all recommend different things. Some ABFM, some AOBFP - Some recommended both exams.

A CAQ is available down either route (ABFM or AOCSMEC), but is there one that is preferred?

Right now my plan is to take both exams so that I can get my CAQ with ABFM and also graduate my residency with FM &OMT. However, I’d prefer to just take 1 test. I don’t love standardized tests. And I think maintaining both licenses will be annoying/overwhelming. Any recommendations or words of advice?

Thanks.

From the west coast here and this is all anecdotal. ABFM seems more legit and is less tests. With AOBFP I think you have take more tests with the fellowship but I’m not sure exactly why at the moment as I forgot.

I dont think employers will care, my instinct is that ABFM would be easier but I suppose it depends upon whether you want to maintain your certification for OMT? Im not sure that works, maybe knock both out now and decide upon what you want to do when it’s time to renew?

The renewal requirements evolve. I can tell you that going to AMSSM and another conference/activity plus knocking out a few modules is enough to maintain boards without too much effort for ABFM and we will likely have a renewal exam for the CAQ in 10 years, but all of this evolves