I'm a first year when should I prepare for step 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shinbeats

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm studying a lot right now and it honestly feels overwhelming. I can barely get ready for a Biochemistry exam. I can't even imagine re-reading an entire 2 years worth of information for step 1. When should I start studying for the step 1 and what material should I use? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Step 1 should be the farthest thing from your mind until at least a few months into MS2 and even then people would bash on you for being to premature. Relax, "enjoy" MS1 classes - the best way to study for step 1 is to do well in your classes right now. You will be amazed how quickly it will come back when you are ready to study for step 1.. and a lot of the minutia you won't really have to know, just the more clinical relevant points which you will cover through first aid and usmle world qbank.

Agreed with above. If you study hard for your class now, it'll all come back much to you when you review for Step 1. A lot of people only use 4-6 weeks to study for boards, and they do just fine. Before I started studying for boards, I was afraid it wasn't enough time. It definitely was...and I felt like I could have taken the exam even sooner. You'll be fine. Do well in your class. The earliest you should start thinking about Step 1 is probably spring of second year if that.

I'm studying a lot right now and it honestly feels overwhelming. I can barely get ready for a Biochemistry exam. I can't even imagine re-reading an entire 2 years worth of information for step 1. When should I start studying for the step 1 and what material should I use? Thanks in advance!

You should prepare for step 1 by preparing for your current course work. Learn it well and annotate relevant information into your first aid and THATS IT. Nothing more!