Im a foreigner dental student, where to go?

Discussion in 'NBDE Exams & Licensure Exams' started by tlsdbwlsk, Jun 27, 2010.

  1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. tlsdbwlsk


    Jan 14, 2009
    Im a Korean who studies in the Philippines -- University of the Philippines (UP)
    Foreigners like me cannot take dental boards in the Philippines..
    so after I graduate I have to go to another country where I can take the boards. I am in need of help and of information.... Browsing the internet has limitations, I can't really satisfy myself by just reading the information written because i really have lots of questions to ask too. I will be graduating soon but I really dont know what to do next. I have found some informations about States though. I should take the 2 year course so that i can take the dental boards there..

    Do anyone know where I can just take the dental boards without taking the 2 year course?? I want to save up time and MONEY!!! being a dental student is surely expensive. I believe University of the Philippines is an accredited school in some states. I also heard once that in Australia they allow the graduates of UP to take the boards even without taking the 2 year course? Is that for real??

    Anyone there having problems like me? Please we can talk and share some information!! :)) Please I need some help! THANKS SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!! :))))
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Dentist127


    Jan 1, 2011
    Hi ! I am a dentistry student in the Philippines (University of Baguio). Like you, I am also interested in taking dental board exams of some overseas countries. Here is some information that I was able to gather regarding your questions.
    Taking dental board examinations of other countries is not that easy. It needs lots of requirements, plenty of time and of course money!


    In Canada, both Canadian dentists and foreign dentists are obliged to undergo national dental examination board (NDEB). If you have acquired your degree from Canada, USA or Australia, you can directly sit in NDEB. If not, you must undergo three different assessments: 1- NDEB Online Self –Assessment;
    2- NDEB Equivalency Process;
    3- Assessment of Fundamental Knowledge.

    If you successfully pass all these three assessment examinations, you will have two choices: to take the completion degree; or to take two more exams: assessment of clinical skills and assessment of clinical judgment.

    If you want to take the completion degree, they will be the one to examine how many more years you have to study (usually it is around two years; however it still depends on your performance in your previous examinations and assessments). After you successfully complete the completion degree, they will allow you to take NDEB which is comprised of both written and clinical examinations. As you know, the cost of completion degree in Canada is so high.

    If you choose the second way and undergo assessment of clinical skills and assessment of clinical judgment and you can successfully pass them, you will be eligible to take NDEB. But if not, you can still repeat the examinations two more times. If you fail three times, you will have to take the completion degree and then NDEB.

    Below is cost of the examinations:

    NDEB Equivalency Process: 500$
    Assessment of Fundamental Knowledge: 600$
    Assessment of clinical judgment: 1500$
    Assessment of clinical skills: 4000$
    Completion degree: * tuition fees for dentistry course at Canadian universities, you need to contact them and ask how much.
    NDEB: 2000 $

    As you can see all the five examinations cost 8600$.
    Unlimited attempts are allowed for NDEB.


    In the United States, you need to complete a 2-year supplemental dental education program at an accredited dental school before you can take their board exam.


    In Australia, it is much easier. You have two choices to get your license. You can either take the completion degree, or take the board exam. If you successfully finish the completion degree, they will give you license without having to pass the board exam. But if you think the completion degree is expensive, you can take the board exam. However, before taking the exam you must complete some requirements; you should be a registered dentist in your country of training or practice, and must have OET certificate (Occupational English Test). Have it in mind that your OET certificate is valid only for two years (just like TOEFL or IELTS). They do not accept IELTS or TOEFL. They accept only OET. As you have mentioned in your question, foreigners are not allowed to take Philippine dental board exam. So you need to take Korea’s board exam first, and then apply for Australia.
    The fee for Australian dental board examination is around 10,000 $.


    In New Zealand, you will only have one way and that is passing their board exam. You need to be a registered dentist in your country before taking New Zealand board exam. The costs and fees for both written and clinical examinations are around 6000$. There might also be other fees that I am not sure about. Before taking the board exam, you must have either IELTS 7.5 or OET certificate. So, in language requirements, New Zealand is more flexible than Australia. In New Zealand you are allowed to take the board exam only three times. If you fail 3 times, you will no longer be allowed to take it. However, you are allowed to take Australia board exam as many times as you want. If you have Australian license, you are also allowed to practice in New Zealand.

    If you have a high level of qualifications and several years of experience in your career, they might exempt you from the board exam and automatically register you as a dentist in New Zealand.

    If you do not want to go back to Korea after your graduation, so you might have three options: Board exam of Canada or USA, or completion degree of Australia. If your financial ability is limited, so board exam of Canada is the best choice for you, because board exam of USA requires a completion degree at first. However, Canada’s board exam is not that easy and requires a lot of study, effort and several examinations.

    If you go back to Korea and be a registered dentist, you will have more options. You will be able to take board exams of Australia or New Zealand which are easier than Canada or USA.

    I hope this could help you.

    I also have some questions about UP from you. If you mind to answer please contact me. Hope to hear from you. I would be happy.

    Gud luck!
    flamezz likes this.
  4. geministudent

    geministudent 2+ Year Member

    Jan 2, 2011
    dentist 127... can i plz have your contact email id... i am a foreign student from india... and was planning to give the nbde for USA.. but i just read the information u provided on the canada exam... i was under the impression that canada exam is only for only permanent residents... i need to tok to you can u plz gimme ur contact email address or somethig.. where r u from and what r u preparing for??..
  5. geministudent

    geministudent 2+ Year Member

    Jan 2, 2011
    oh i guess u r still a student right????? so must not be having much information abt the whole process...
  6. Dentist127


    Jan 1, 2011
    [email protected]
  7. dentistpulse

    dentistpulse 2+ Year Member

    Jan 30, 2011
    Last edited: May 16, 2012
  8. bhavi4all

    bhavi4all 2+ Year Member

    Aug 2, 2009
    @ haam - .. hey man !!! read about your exam and stuff... my didnt go that well .. this is what i feel... i felt it tricky ... anyways... when is your result coming out??? any idea???
  9. whitenight


    Feb 3, 2011
    If you are doing the exams in Canada, it maybe a good idea to take some training courses. I know of an excellent dental training school called PrepDr that offers courses for the Clinical Assessment, Clinical Judgment and OSCE exams. You can google prepdr and should get their site.

    Good Luck!
  10. Retina Alam

    Retina Alam 2+ Year Member

    Mar 7, 2011
    Hi Dentist127,
    i am foreign dentist frm Bangladesh.i'm now residing in Canada.i wanna take preparation for NDEB Assessment of Fundamental Knoledge.but don't know which books should i follow.plz give me information via email [email protected]

    is it possible to get ur email add.
    thanks a lot :)
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  11. BombayBDS

    BombayBDS 2+ Year Member

    this thread belongs to International dental.
    admins, please note.
  12. meatmeat


    Mar 20, 2011
    hello-am not from Philippine but will be attending dental school soon 2011-cebu or ue? does both hav good clinicals? is the liscense exams kinda similar to us boards? tuition?cebu website dont show the curriculum-does cebu hav dental grad classes? thank you.any americans(0% philippine)?
  13. deol05


    Apr 12, 2011
    I am an Indian student here in Philippines, actually I am a permanent resident here and I was born here, but still my nationality is Indian. So I am currently 2nd year proper in Doctor of Dental Medicine.
    And I am worried where to take my board exam, because I am not allowed to take it here in Philippines.
    I was looking forward to take board exam in Canada, is that possible? That after graduating and getting the degree, I can take board in Canada?

    Please help me.
  14. beekwool


    Jun 26, 2011
    can foreign trained dentist go to korea to practice after they graduate?? just
  15. amprato


    Oct 29, 2011
    For those seeking licensure in Canada and USA. In the US, you will have to take a 2 year course however for that amount of money and the programs available, it is just not worth it. From talking with people that went through the program, I was told that it was not taught well. If I were you, I would apply for the graduate prosthodontic programs (Baylor and Ohio State have good ones) and get a better education. The programs need students anyway since not many apply.

    The other option; see how much the two year program will cost. If it is as much as going through the four year program, repeat the 4 years in a US/Canadian dental school. It will help you better prepare for the respective licensing exam. Do not apply to a dental school that accepts more than 100 students. Anything over that is just not a good environment for camaraderie. Example NYU accepts 200 students but prepare more than half to fail out. So the students compete with each other to knock them off the program. Graduating from a US dental school (pre doc/undergrad) will make the testing easier if you want to go to Canada. You will only have to take the written exam and an OSCE (reading radiographs and looking at models) no practical exam.

    The US exam (CLINICAL) for foreign trained dentist is very restrictive. The US board of dental examiners will fail a percentage of test takers (even US dental school grads this happens) since this is also a business.

    Canada. The licenses are very expensive in the metro areas. Try to get licenses in area that are not popular to earn a better income. For example, I spent over 5000 CDN for my Quebec license but only 250CDN for my Nunavut license. Nunavut, NWT, Manitoba and any rural areas that have a population of 40,000 people with large local employers may be a better choice than a metro area where dentists are bumping into each other and fighting for patients.

    Good luck with your journey.
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  16. amprato


    Oct 29, 2011
    Hi. I would apply as a transfer student and repeat the second year in a US or Canadian dental school.
  17. amprato


    Oct 29, 2011
    Hey deol05.Just apply as a transfer student in the US/Canada. If you want to return to the Philippines to practice you may get a better chance of getting a license with a diploma from US or Canada. Good luck
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  18. ysell


    Oct 14, 2011
    need help... a bit more clarification pls.the NDEB equivalency process is it an actual exam or just a processing of documents part of the application?if so wat are the supposed stuff to review/ thanx in advance

Share This Page