I'm a little confused about USMLE scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noam Chomsky

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, the average derm score 243. Does that mean that if you get a 243, or higher, you automatically get accepted at a dermatology residency? Or does that simply mean you make the cutoff? What do board scores mean? Can a person with a 220 get into dermatology? I appreciate the help.

Members don't see this ad.

If you achieve the average MCAT score for a given medical school are you automatically accepted to that school? No. The Step 1 is just one of many considerations when choosing between residency applicants and does not (even if it's a 270) guarantee success.

Okay, so a person with a 220 can get into derm? Theoretically.

Members don't see this ad :)
Theoritically, however if you're over a standard deviation away from the average then your chances are slim.

Yes. Just like theoretically a person with a 26 MCAT (~55%; USMLE 220 is ~55%) can get into a top-tier school -- possible but improbable.

Okay, so what things do you need along with your board score of 250 to be a strong candidate? Also, if you don't get into derm, but you know that you love it and wouldn't want to do anything else. What do you do in that case?

Okay, so what things do you need along with your board score of 250 to be a strong candidate? Also, if you don't get into derm, but you know that you love it and wouldn't want to do anything else. What do you do in that case?

Seppuku or a transitional year or you end up in your second choice.

Research. Most people will take research years and build connections if they don't match their first year and try again or choose another specialty.

Dude, are you even in medical school? Why are you worrying about this? Get in and worry about the first 2 years of school first.

Why should I worry about the first 2 years? Worrying gets you nowhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
Go visit the Derm boards, they have lots of advice there and you see the types of people who match.

Just curious, how are you so sure you want to go into dermatology if you are not even in med school yet? Also, if you are not smart enough to understand what the word "average" means, I doubt you will get the USMLE scores needed to match into dermatology

goddamit...i swear everyone and their mother want to be derm...
i go to my ER, and emt and nurse always say: "oh u wanna be a doctor, good luck you gonna have a tough life, working all the time, EXEPT you are are derm..." or "your future wife is not going to be happy, UNLESS you are derm"...

goddamit...i swear everyone and their mother want to be derm...
i go to my ER, and emt and nurse always say: "oh u wanna be a doctor, good luck you gonna have a tough life, working all the time, EXEPT you are are derm..." or "your future wife is not going to be happy, UNLESS you are derm"...
Wait, what?

:laugh:

Just curious, how are you so sure you want to go into dermatology if you are not even in med school yet? Also, if you are not smart enough to understand what the word "average" means, I doubt you will get the USMLE scores needed to match into dermatology
:thumbup:

Wait, what?

:laugh:

I still remember a nurse telling me that if i become a doctor, my wife is gonna be so unhappy because am never gonna be home, she end up spending all my money and sleep with another dude...that is unless I am derm...

If I'm not smart enough to understand the word "average." Who said I don't understand the word average?

I still remember a nurse telling me that if i become a doctor, my wife is gonna be so unhappy because am never gonna be home, she end up spending all my money and sleep with another dude...that is unless I am derm...

Make sure you don't get shallow wife then?

If I'm not smart enough to understand the word "average." Who said I don't understand the word average?
Well you said the average derm score is 243, and then asked if it was possible to match derm with a 220. You should probably look into a statistics course.

Well, you assumed that if you've got a score that's above the average you'll be auto accepted. Which implies you don't understand that an average is a measure of central tendency and that probably around 50% of Derm residents have a score below 243 and around 50% had one above 243.

Yah, you could do with a statistics course.

You guys are literally pathetic. First of all, this thread was meant simply to answer a question: What do board scores mean? That's it. I didn't know that board scores weren't the only factor in residency. I thought that once you got over the match point, you were in. So all of you chill out because you're getting a little out of control. For those that are telling me I don't know what "average" means, I'm probably a hell of a lot smarter than you so shhhh.

You guys are literally pathetic. First of all, this thread was meant simply to answer a question: What do board scores mean? That's it. I didn't know that board scores weren't the only factor in residency. I thought that once you got over the match point, you were in. So all of you chill out because you're getting a little out of control. For those that are telling me I don't know what "average" means, I'm probably a hell of a lot smarter than you so shhhh.

y u mad though?

dude do you really think you're the first one to ask this question?
a quick google search would eliminate a ton of these threads that ask questions which have been answered over and over through the years

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=11087603

u-mad___camron.jpg

this is why...

So, the average derm score 243...does that simply mean you make the cutoff?

apparently in your world average=minimum? look into a stat 100 course, will definitely help you in the future

Last edited:
Wow, are you guys serious? I thought potential doctors were supposed to be somewhat smart. I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT BOARD SCORES MEAN.

I am now offended by the OP's inapposite use of Noam Chomsky for his username and avatar.

You're offended? God, you guys are annoying..

OP, derm (and plastic surgery) are different from the other ‘highly competitive’ specialties like radiology, orthopedics, and neuro surgery because the range between the average STEP I score of student who did and did not match is narrower. For example, in derm, the mean step score of American allopathic seniors who matched was a 242 in 2009 while the mean score of American allopathic seniors who did not match was 231. By comparison, the numbers are 238 and 220 for radiology, 240 and 223 for ENT, and 238 and 221 for ortho. Point is, in radiology, ent, and ortho, if you are a middle-of-the-road applicant with some strong cards in your application, you might actually match, particularly into a less than desirable spot. However, in derm, there are just too many qualified applicants and too few spots that if you don’t dot all of you I’s and cross all of your t’s, your prospects aren’t too bright.

I'm well? You don't even know me. Shows how smart you are..

Status
Not open for further replies.