I'm a NOOB, can you answer these Q's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cofo

Super Cool Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am sophomore in undergrad right now. I will apply to dental school in spring 2010, which means I will start Dental school (if accepted) in 2011.
1. Am I getting paid while I am in dental school?/How much per year?
2. What is ASP and all of these other acronyms associated with the military? I don't know anything about the military BTW.
3. While I am in my 4 years of active service for the military, how much do I get paid? Would I ONLY be doing dentistry those 4 years, or would I be obligated to actually fight in a war? BTW, I would love to serve my country so if I might have to go into combat, I would proudly and bravely do it. I just want to know if I would actually have to physically fight in a war or not, even though I am a dentist.
4. After my 4 years of active duty is over, will I get to start my own dental practice and never have to worry about being deployed to go to war again?
5. Financially speaking, what is the best option: Be a 4 year military dentist, or not going the military route?
6. Since I am applying to Dental schools in spring 2010, when should I worry about applying to the HSRS(i think thats what it is.) program?
7. Which military branch pays more/has more benefits?

Members don't see this ad.

I am sophomore in undergrad right now. I will apply to dental school in spring 2010, which means I will start Dental school (if accepted) in 2011.
1. Am I getting paid while I am in dental school?/How much per year?
2. What is ASP and all of these other acronyms associated with the military? I don't know anything about the military BTW.
3. While I am in my 4 years of active service for the military, how much do I get paid? Would I ONLY be doing dentistry those 4 years, or would I be obligated to actually fight in a war? BTW, I would love to serve my country so if I might have to go into combat, I would proudly and bravely do it. I just want to know if I would actually have to physically fight in a war or not, even though I am a dentist.
4. After my 4 years of active duty is over, will I get to start my own dental practice and never have to worry about being deployed to go to war again?
5. Financially speaking, what is the best option: Be a 4 year military dentist, or not going the military route?
6. Since I am applying to Dental schools in spring 2010, when should I worry about applying to the HSRS(i think thats what it is.) program?
7. Which military branch pays more/has more benefits?

First off search feature is your friend

1) if you are on the HPSP (health professions scholarship program) yes you get a stipend every month (~1900 starting this july)
2)ASP i have no idea what you are talking about
3)I don't know you won't be in for a long time pay might change then, but currently it is around 70-80K a year. While you are Active duty you only do dentistry unless of course you are somehow overrun in which case everyone is a soldier
4)Yes you can start one while you are on IRR (inactive ready reserve)
5)Its up for debate
6)Talk to a recruiter
7)The scholarship is the same for each branch except currently the Navy and Army pay a 20K signing bonus, but i think the AF will soon follow

ASP is a form of special pay that's added to your salary once you are on active duty. I forget what the A stands for, but it is definitely an addition to your salary.

Members don't see this ad :)
ASP is a form of special pay that's added to your salary once you are on active duty. I forget what the A stands for, but it is definitely an addition to your salary.

A stands for 'additional'. as in, additional special pay. solid assumption on your part.

Last edited:
lol. I wasn't making an assumption on what ASP was. I was simply making the point that its just additional pay and that what the acronym stood for really didn't matter. So if that was your attempt to make a "smart" comment, more power to you.

If not, then my bad. haha

nah, man, i wasnt being snide. if you can start figuring out the acronym soup early, more power to you. it only gets worse the more operational you become. i wasnt aware the we could say words without vowels in them, but the military does!

dheav05,
Was it you that had mentioned at an warlier time that you were currently in Bethesda?