I'm a people person - but patients aren't my kind of people

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kellie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much time do you guys spend talking to colleagues in a private practice setting? This includes other radiologists, referring doctors, administrative and technical support staff. I realise that in the hospital setting there are countless opportunities for such contact/collaboration.

Background:

I entered medicine wanting to do general practice because I am a "people person". After six years of medical school (I'm Australian) I've realised that it's not all it's cracked up to be. Dealing with patients is like having the same 4 conversations over and over with your demented, cranky and stubbourn grandparent - I do feel sympathetic, but I can't wait for it to be over. It's not enough of an intellectual challenge, it's not fast enough and it's not efficient.

I like radiology because you get things done for people, and I like the idea of working completely on my own. But in every job I've done, my happiness has largely been determined by the people I've been surrounded by - I think many of you would agree. In my ideal job I would have the autonomy to get my work done on my own terms, but would also like regular contact with colleagues just to make life more interesting.

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies.

Members don't see this ad.

I agree 100% with what you posted and feel that it's a big reason I ended up in Radiology. I'm very social and like people, I just don't like patients. With Radiology you get ample interaction with other people, just not necessarily patients.

As a resident, I'd say around 1/3 of my day is spent in interaction with clinicians either at the viewbox or on the phone, with other radiologists, with techs, or even occasionally with patients during proceedures. There is plenty of human contact with our job...which is one of the best kept secrets about it.

That's exactly what I wanted to hear! It was my only remaining doubt about the field. Thanks for your reply :)

Members don't see this ad :)
damn good title. pretty much encapsulates my feelings too. I don't like the healthcare setting to meet/talk to people. I like meeting people under less sterile, hectic conditions, and without them griping. :)

i want to sit in a dark room by myself and look at images all day

I have the perfect amount of patient contact.. some days I talk virtually all the time w/ referring docs, patients, techs, other radiologists. Also in an admin role, you talk w/ patients + docs.

Also some days, more like 1/3. I feel that it is mostly up to you. You can always "throttle" up the interaction.

Radiology is not practiced in a hermetically sealed black box (dark reading room) as most believe ;)

I have the perfect amount of patient contact.. some days I talk virtually all the time w/ referring docs, patients, techs, other radiologists. Also in an admin role, you talk w/ patients + docs.

Also some days, more like 1/3. I feel that it is mostly up to you. You can always "throttle" up the interaction.

Radiology is not practiced in a hermetically sealed black box (dark reading room) as most believe ;)

Dr. Chan, regarding your patient contact...is that mostly for procedures?

You are a diagnostic radiologist..right? What kinds of procedures do you do and how often?

Thanks.