I'm a US citizen that is applying to the Medical University of Warsaw

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZachNipperPsych

Reaction score
I've spent the entirety of my life overseas; initially, seven years in Japan (born in Yokosuka Naval Hospital), and 13 years in rural Germany. My parents both hold government positions, though my mother is stationed here as a DoDDes teacher (she is the sponsor), and I've ultimately grown accustomed to the European lifestyle. Warsaw is a hop and a skip over the border with an international English division, I've done my research with both personal accounts from graduates and articles, determining the University to offer an adequate medical education. My dilemma here is when I worked in the Army clinic in Vilseck as a Red Cross volunteer, many of the Army physicians explained that it would be best if I attended an American Medical University rather than an international uni, both in part due to my citizenship and possible interest in practicing in the US. I have no clue where I'm ultimately going to practice. There are the added benefits of being close to my parents, only 12k Euro a year in terms of expenses, and not having to earn a BA with pre-med reqs prior to applying, I would only need to complete an obligatory Physics/Biology/Chemistry exam for entrance, and while this might be impressive in terms of the hoops jumped to earn the MD, I feel it is much more efficient.

Ultimately, I suppose my question is when applying for residency programs to hospitals, would this look suspicious, as if I was some failed applicant to a US Med School? Would they delve deeper, or would I fall into the background?

Members don't see this ad.

Not an expert on this, but you would be considered an IMG. You’d have to pass the steps and compete with American MD and DO grads for residency spots.
Any competitive specialty residency positions would be a longshot at best.

Reactions: 2 users
Not an expert on this, but you would be considered an IMG. You’d have to pass the steps and compete with American MD and DO grads for residency spots.
Any competitive specialty residency positions would be a longshot at best.
This^^^^^^. No one is going to think you're a failed applicant to a US medical school, since you won't even have a bachelors degree. This is so "efficient" that it will be very difficult for you to get licensed in the US.

If you want to stay in Europe, this is a no brainer due to the time and money you will save, but if you want to work in the US, you will be making it very hard on yourself. Just ask the school how many people they place in the US, and take it from there. There is a reason more US citizens don't save the four years (or more) and what ends up being close to a million dollars between UG and med school costs and just go to med school in Europe before returning to practice in the US!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Not to mention that that program is 6 years long vs 4 years in the US.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.