I'm about to be an attending for the first time. I feel like I don't actually know anything.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jimmy Chitwood

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is normal, right? I mean even the young attendings who were still residents when I started seem like they are in a whole other universe than me, when it comes to knowing things. Is it possible that I am actually ******ed, and I have somehow just gone unnoticed to this point?

I've done pretty well on my in-training exams (70+ percentile on my last 2 years), I matched into a CT fellowship earlier this week (whew!), so I must have some knowledge in there somewhere, right?

To clarify, I will be working as staff for a year at my home institution before moving on to my fellowship. A couple attendings are moving on to other things, and they have asked me to stay on to fill the gaps.

Any advice for me? I am usually pretty relaxed, but this is terrifying.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE: I am 4 months into attending-hood, and it turns out I have been pretty well-trained.

Working with residents is about what I expected. Some are very good, and some need a little help.

Working with CRNAs is a little different than I expected. I kind of expected them to be almost entirely self-sufficient. Some are very good, and have been helpful with my transition, while others have been incredibly frustrating. And its not who I would have expected, necessarily, either. There are veteran CRNAs who need to be watched like they're a CA-1, and there are some young CRNAs who are just excellent. And everything in between.

There have been a number of situations where I have had to get people out of jams that I never would have gotten myself into in a million years. It keeps you on your toes for sure.

It is true what they say about your first month too. My first case was an emergency airway ENT case. I think I had to staff about 5 awake fiberoptic intubations (I probably only did 10 in my entire residency), 2-3 stat C-sections, and it seemed like everyone I touched bronchospasmed for no apparent reason. Things have calmed down a bit for me, probably just me getting better at this new role, and I have settled in nicely, I think.

My old staff (now co-workers) kept a pretty close eye on me for the first week or so, but they turned me loose pretty quickly. They are always around if I need them, but to tell the truth, I haven't needed much help.

I have staffed everything including hearts, thoracic, OB, trauma, vascular, and some basic peds. I'm a little uncomfortable if you present a patient to me, and that presentation includes a weight in grams, but I think I am reasonably comfortable doing all but the smallest babies, as long as there is nothing too weird about them. I also have privileges to read TEEs at my institution. It was probably a bit of a reach when they gave me that privilege (based on aptitude, but I do have the numbers from resicency), but I have worked hard at it, and I think I am actually pretty decent for my level of experience at this point. Having to teach the exam to residents has been really helpful for me too.

Anyway, it has been a good experience. I have learned a lot since starting as staff, and the new role can be kind of fun. The paycheck is nice a nice change too, although it will be short-lived, since I start fellowship in July.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have ZERO learning curve if you are staying on at ur own institution.

You are in the best nurturing position any one who needs confidence can ask for.

Be thank for that.

Reactions: 1 users
You have ZERO learning curve if you are staying on at ur own institution.

You are in the best nurturing position any one who needs confidence can ask for.

Be thank for that.

That is a big part of why I jumped all over the offer. I know i will have help if i get into a jam, and I know how things work around here. I am fortunate for sure.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Towards the end of residency, it's normal to feel like you know everything, and to chafe under the command of your attending. When you actually start out as a new attending, there's a bit of fear when you realize that you are alone. Shortly after, you realize that you really did learn how to do this job over the last four years, and it's not the end of the world.

Sent from my SM-G920V using SDN mobile

The best advice I ever got was that it was normal and expected to feel like I knew nothing at all the first year I was an OR nurse. I was told that if I didn't feel a bit lost and overwhelmed, that meant that I was probably overconfident and due to get checked by a disaster. If I hadn't been given that kind anticipatory guidance, there were a dozen times that year that I would have judged myself too harshly and given up.

Instead, there did eventually come a day when I could run the desk as the Charge Nurse, staffing all our scheduled cases and emergency add-ons, getting everyone what they needed, when they needed it... and feel totally on top of everything.

You will find your stride. It is supposed to feel like this at first. You'd be overconfident if it didn't. But one day after another, you will move closer and closer to the point where it all just flows.

Just waiting for the CRNA forums to pick this one up too and start bashing our training. Wait, or is this a planted post by CRNA's? hmmmm....

Just waiting for the CRNA forums to pick this one up too and start bashing our training. Wait, or is this a planted post by CRNA's? hmmmm....

Seems like you are the one starting that particular trouble.

So far, the nurse who popped in saw an opportunity to give friendly support.

Reactions: 1 users
Seems like you are the one starting that particular trouble.

So far, the nurse who popped in saw an opportunity to give friendly support.
Nope, have you seen the other thread about a soon to be attending? Has been posted all over CRNA boards, unfortunately.

I haven't seen the other thread.

But OP is voicing newbie jitters. Everyone gets those. That was the point of my story, that I had them as a fresh OR RN. CRNAs get them, too, when they take their first real job.

There was nothing in OP's post to feed your paranoia. OP didn't say anything to discredit him or her self. There is no fodder here for bashing anyone, and no need to make trouble where it isn't.

The last thread was about a guy with 1/3 of his training left feeling behind the power curve. He's got a full year to go and should be just fine. This one is about some first time attending jitters. Everyone gets first time attending jitters. My first job was flying solo. The first weekend when the **** hits the fan and everyone is looking at you to fix everything will put some hair on your chest.
At least these guys know that they don't know everything, and that makes all the difference.

--
Il Destriero

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
this thread is going to appear on nurseanesthesia.org.

Worthless CRNAS.. Couldnt get into medical school so they are legislating their way into medicine. How pathetic!

Reactions: 2 users
It's normal for residents to get real cocky toward the end of their CA2 year and early CA3 year. Then by about 1/2 way through CA3 either some disaster happens or you just realize "Oh chit, I'm gonna be all alone in few months" and you get a little insecure. No worries. You'll be OK just like all before you. I'm pretty sure your not the worst resident to ever graduate in the history of anesthesia. Plus, it's good to be a little conservative when you're a newborn attending.

And, you automatically get 50% better the day you become an attending. Not sure why that happens, but it does.

Helping out a colleague in need is much more important than worrying about what some nurse thinks

Members don't see this ad :)
It's actually healthy to have insight and realize that you still have to learn and gain experience but I have one advice for you:
On day one of your attending status put on your attending face, show confidence, and never ever let anyone know that you are scared!
If you act shaky it will stay with you for the rest of your career.

Reactions: 3 users
It's actually healthy to have insight and realize that you still have to learn and gain experience but I have one advice for you:
On day one of your attending status put on your attending face, show confidence, and never ever let anyone know that you are scared!

Ha, that's been my motto for residency

Really? I tell people i'm scared all the time. why hide the truth. I don't think anyone thinks any less of me for it. just don't actively kill anyone and you'll be fine.

Really? I tell people i'm scared all the time. why hide the truth. I don't think anyone thinks any less of me for it. just don't actively kill anyone and you'll be fine.
You are naive, no offense. Plankton is right, as usually. You work in a surgical environment and swim with sharks mostly, not nice people, so acknowledging weakness will make you look like a meal.

i agree with plankton's advice. it is OK to after the fact acknowledge that it was a tense situation. while the situation is unfolding it is of utmost importance for you to be the calm, cool, collected, and CONFIDENT one. remember your training and keep an even head. everyone will respect you for that.

Fear comes from inexperience. Inexperience comes from being green. In time your confidence will grow.

I have more

Good decisions comes from experience. Experience comes from bad decisions.

I have a lot of experience!!!

Reactions: 11 users
being nervous is healthy. Elite athletes are nervous before competition. You should be nervous too. It helps you perform at your best.

Keep the lungs full of oxygen and keep the heart beating. Never induce with a questionable iv and don't use sux if you have any doubts. All else is secondary.

How about joining the asa and post this in the private forum.