SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

I'm abroad. If taken off a waitlist, will I be e-mailed?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by OwnageMobile, May 8, 2007.

  1. OwnageMobile

    OwnageMobile is just a moniker. 5+ Year Member

    Apr 8, 2005
    a better place
    Cause God knows I'm not gonna pick up the phone.

    I searched the records already, yo, but found inconclusive data.

    Furthermore, how long will I have to reply/make a decision?

    Oh, and, if it's post May 15th, is bartering for $$$ with current acceptances still possible?

    Thx a bunch, OtitisMedia

    [Let's do a font color experiment--poorly controlled yes (not all will have answers for this question, the background isn't white, but more like a pale blue that they don't offer), but for sh!ts, giggles, and curiosity] Oh, Oh, and, (this one's for more speculative responses) will sending my recently completed/submitted 1st authored paper to the Adcom be considered some sort of copywrite contract breach?
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Depakote

    Depakote Pediatric Anesthesiologist Rocket Scientist Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

    1.) I would contact the schools and tell them about your situation. Let them know you will not have phone access and that they need to e-mail you as your primary form of communication from here on out.

    2.) I would say you have 2 weeks to make a decision at the start, they'll probably start tightening this up when it gets closer to the start of classes. I don't think you're going to get to play the money game anymore.

    3.) I have no idea about the copywrite deal, but according to LizzyM, most Adcom's only really care about published papers. (I could send a photocopy of my butt and it would be "under consideration" until the formal process of them rejecting the submission took place 2-4 weeks)
  4. Darksmurf

    Darksmurf I'm the boy smurf 7+ Year Member

    Aug 30, 2006
    I'm going to be in the same boat. I'll be in China for about six weeks beginning at the end of May. I'm just going to call the admissions offices and try to explain the situation.
  5. OwnageMobile

    OwnageMobile is just a moniker. 5+ Year Member

    Apr 8, 2005
    a better place
    Thanks guys. I happen to be in Zhongguo too.

    What's your thinking on this? I want to play the money game. Public school vs top tier.
  6. Vano

    Vano 7+ Year Member

    Feb 26, 2007
    I will be in the same boat, going to Ukraine for 6 weeks and at MCW they told me they will only be contacting people by phone and if I'll be out of the country they advised to officially designate a person who can make decision on my behalf if they were to call him/her. Also, I think 2 weeks is a bit much, again MCW they said if one is called and a message is left they will wait until the next day before calling another applicant, as the summer goes timespan will get shorter--no more than few hours if their call isn't returned.
  7. johnrepus


    Oct 15, 2006
    whoa! i'm in a similar situation myself. i'm currently in xi'an and am on a few waitlists. i sent a letter before leaving to restate my interest, outline my plans and designate a person to act on my behalf and where they can be reached.

    some of the medical schools have indicated that i should be prepared to respond within 24-48 hours. yikes!

    i'll be heading to hong kong, guangzhou, guilin, yangshuo and kunming before touring southeast asia. will i see any of you guys?
  8. whatintheworld?

    whatintheworld? New Member 2+ Year Member

    Jul 6, 2006
    I just got notification by email that I was accepted off a waitlist, but the official paper work is coming by snail mail.... but I have heard of many schools calling, especially as the dates get closer to matriculation!
  9. OwnageMobile

    OwnageMobile is just a moniker. 5+ Year Member

    Apr 8, 2005
    a better place
    I'm in Guangzhou, pm me if you wanna chill.

Share This Page