IM ACGME match as AOA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rddn_jk

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was hoping for some input on chances for match in some ACGME IM programs in Southern California, specifically Cedars-Sinai and UCI. I have a 23- Step 1, several research presentations and some various extra-curriculars. So far honors on my IM rotation. As title states I am AOA, originally from California though. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Was hoping for some input on chances for match in some ACGME IM programs in Southern California, specifically Cedars-Sinai and UCI. I have a 231 Step 1, several research presentations and some various extra-curriculars. So far honors on my IM rotation. As title states I am AOA, originally from California though. Thanks!

AOA like you are in the MD honor society or do you mean to say you are a DO student.

Members don't see this ad :)
Was hoping for some input on chances for match in some ACGME IM programs in Southern California, specifically Cedars-Sinai and UCI. I have a 231 Step 1, several research presentations and some various extra-curriculars. So far honors on my IM rotation. As title states I am AOA, originally from California though. Thanks!

Probably going to be a stretch. If I remember right the average step 1 score is now around a 230 for IM. Add to that a competitive location, above average programs, and a DO student and it is going to be tough. Doesn't mean you shouldn't apply but don't expect to just waltz in.

Probably going to be a stretch. If I remember right the average step 1 score is now around a 230 for IM. Add to that a competitive location, above average programs, and a DO student and it is going to be tough. Doesn't mean you shouldn't apply but don't expect to just waltz in.
Yeah didn’t think it would be a breeze. Trying to gauge if there’s enough of a chance to bother with a rotation at one or both of them. Thanks for the input!

Yeah didn’t think it would be a breeze. Trying to gauge if there’s enough of a chance to bother with a rotation at one or both of them. Thanks for the input!

There is a DO at UCI now who should be an intern. You may be able to contact them and try to get specific advice.

Best way to find out what you need to do, is to ask people who have done it.

Hate to be negative, but I would say close to a zero percent chance. The DO bias in IM is much stronger than you think. You could have said Step 1 of 251 and my answer would be the same.