I'm aiming for my state D.O. school to relieve pressure

TheBatman

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Apr 17, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
This isn't a knock on D.O. I just don't want to be stressed for my entire undergrad career. Yeah sure it's pretty stressful getting into D.O. as well but at least there isn't as much pressure. If I fail a class I can always retake it. Am I setting myself up for failure?

TheWeeIceMan

And like that... *poof*... he's gone.
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 8, 2009
You don't have to be stressed all the time to get into medical school, whether that's MD or DO.

sinombre

carboloading
7+ Year Member
May 20, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
How far along are you in undergrad?

OP
TheBatman

TheBatman

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Apr 17, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical

Carl Seitan

Best poster ever
5+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2013
Southeast
Status
Medical Student
Good plan. There is absolutely no stress involved in being a medical student at a DO school. I hear they actually draw board scores out of a hat. Those MD schools are for suckers.

Anicetus

5+ Year Member
Apr 11, 2013
Status
Medical Student
This isn't a knock on D.O. I just don't want to be stressed for my entire undergrad career. Yeah sure it's pretty stressful getting into D.O. as well but at least there isn't as much pressure. If I fail a class I can always retake it. Am I setting myself up for failure?
You are setting yourself up for failure if you just convince yourself it's okay to fail.

Aerus

Elemental Alchemist
7+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2012
Status
Medical Student
I mean, always try hard. If you start slacking now, it might be difficult to pick up the pace later on. If you believe you have the capabilities to get into an MD school with hard work and you don't differentiate between the two, aim for the MD. Even if you prefer DO schools, still try hard.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
"We are not interested in the possibilities of failure" Queen Victoria.

If I fail a class I can always retake it. Am I setting myself up for failure?[/quote]

CityLights

7+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2010
Status
Why "aim" for it instead of just "being ok" with it? When I accepted that DO programs would be a very good option for me if I wasn't accepted to an MD program, it did take a lot of pressure off for me. I'm not aiming for DO, though.

Cinclus

Es un pájaro.
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2011
Behind the waterfall
Status
Attending Physician
Don't freak out about it; just do your best work. Your overall stress will be much lower if you've been trying your best and doing well. Later on, you'll be in that much better shape for applying to any sort of medical school.

Reactions: BlueLabel

Itsmine

Account on Hold
Account on Hold
Nov 19, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Only apply to DO school if you are okay with going there; if you get rejected from all MD schools, but get into one DO school, will you take the DO acceptance? If yes, then apply. If no, then don't apply DO