I'm aiming for my state D.O. school to relieve pressure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheBatman

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This isn't a knock on D.O. I just don't want to be stressed for my entire undergrad career. Yeah sure it's pretty stressful getting into D.O. as well but at least there isn't as much pressure. If I fail a class I can always retake it. Am I setting myself up for failure?

Members don't see this ad.

You don't have to be stressed all the time to get into medical school, whether that's MD or DO.

38213214.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
you're trading a little bit of stress now for tons of extra stress later.

Reactions: 5 users
Like shooting yourself in the foot so you don't have to go to work...

Reactions: 1 user
Good plan. There is absolutely no stress involved in being a medical student at a DO school. I hear they actually draw board scores out of a hat. Those MD schools are for suckers.

This isn't a knock on D.O. I just don't want to be stressed for my entire undergrad career. Yeah sure it's pretty stressful getting into D.O. as well but at least there isn't as much pressure. If I fail a class I can always retake it. Am I setting myself up for failure?

You are setting yourself up for failure if you just convince yourself it's okay to fail.

I mean, always try hard. If you start slacking now, it might be difficult to pick up the pace later on. If you believe you have the capabilities to get into an MD school with hard work and you don't differentiate between the two, aim for the MD. Even if you prefer DO schools, still try hard.

Why "aim" for it instead of just "being ok" with it? When I accepted that DO programs would be a very good option for me if I wasn't accepted to an MD program, it did take a lot of pressure off for me. I'm not aiming for DO, though.

Don't freak out about it; just do your best work. Your overall stress will be much lower if you've been trying your best and doing well. Later on, you'll be in that much better shape for applying to any sort of medical school.

Reactions: 1 user
Only apply to DO school if you are okay with going there; if you get rejected from all MD schools, but get into one DO school, will you take the DO acceptance? If yes, then apply. If no, then don't apply DO