I'm applying this summer, how am I doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mere1990

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to medical school this summer (2012). I am a double major, B.S. Biology and B.A. Chemistry. I have a 3.967 GPA, I have only made one B in my college career so far! I am doing undergraduate research in organic chemistry, and was named co-author on the lab's last published paper. I am a lifeguard at the university's rec center and a part-time dance teacher/choreographer at my old dance studio from high school. Weekly, I volunteer as a student tutor for biology at the campus library. I am apart of the Honors College at my university. I am also a member of Phi Eta Sigma and Phi Kappa Phi. For the past two summers, I have been the leader/organizer/teacher for the arts and crafts department for Vacation Bible School at my grandmother's church. Next semester I am going to do physician shadowing and (if I have time) register as a volunteer at the local hospital. I am applying for a biomedical research internship this summer at my top choice medical school (Brody at ECU). I am taking the MCAT in a few months.

What are my chances? What else can I do? I would really appreciate the advice!

Please and thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I am applying to medical school this summer (2012). I am a double major, B.S. Biology and B.A. Chemistry. I have a 3.967 GPA, I have only made one B in my college career so far! I am doing undergraduate research in organic chemistry, and was named co-author on the lab's last published paper. I am a lifeguard at the university's rec center and a part-time dance teacher/choreographer at my old dance studio from high school. Weekly, I volunteer as a student tutor for biology at the campus library. I am apart of the Honors College at my university. I am also a member of Phi Eta Sigma and Phi Kappa Phi. For the past two summers, I have been the leader/organizer/teacher for the arts and crafts department for Vacation Bible School at my grandmother's church. Next semester I am going to do physician shadowing and (if I have time) register as a volunteer at the local hospital. I am applying for a biomedical research internship this summer at my top choice medical school (Brody at ECU). I am taking the MCAT in a few months.

What are my chances? What else can I do? I would really appreciate the advice!

Please and thank you.
Do you have other clinical experience where you interacted with sick people that you haven't mentioned? Applying with only 6 months worth makes for a sparse exploration of medicine as a career. I suggest you get something going as soon as possible. Clinical experience is not an elective component of your application.

I suspect Brody would like to see some rural experience on your application if you didn't grow up out in the country. At the least, include a primary care rural doc when shadowing.

Numbers-wise, your grades are terrifc, but chances can't be predicted without an MCAT score.

Thank you for your advice!

I did about 45 hours of shadowing my senior year of high school with my Honors Medical Science class. I shadowed in pathology, ED, ICU, surgical ward, and pediatrics. However, this shadowing was mainly with nurses. The shadowing program I am doing next semester is for family medicine.

The lack of clinical hours on my resume concerns me the most as well. With all of the other extracurricular activities, there are no hours left in the day! This really isn't an exaggeration, I have almost no free time whatsoever... This is a major stress factor.

If I only have clinical hours from now till summer, will I not stand a chance?

I will be studying for the MCAT like my life depends on it (my future certainly does).

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your advice!

I did about 45 hours of shadowing my senior year of high school with my Honors Medical Science class. I shadowed in pathology, ED, ICU, surgical ward, and pediatrics. However, this shadowing was mainly with nurses. The shadowing program I am doing next semester is for family medicine.

The lack of clinical hours on my resume concerns me the most as well. With all of the other extracurricular activities, there are no hours left in the day! This really isn't an exaggeration, I have almost no free time whatsoever... This is a major stress factor.

I will be studying for the MCAT like my life depends on it (my future certainly does).
Your high school shadowing can be a part of your "Why medicine?" story you will tell in your personal statement. However, your college clinical exposure does sound really weak. I think you need to prioritize at this point if you are serious about medical school. I would be asking myself "What activity can I drop so I can find time to volunteer at a hospital for 4 hours a week and get ~50 hours of shadowing?" You could stand a chance if you do that, especially if you keep up the clinical experiences throughout the application cycle and let schools know about them on secondaries, in interviews, and in update letters/letters of interest.

Also, your MCAT is your other big hurdle but it sounds like you are gearing up for that. Based on your explanation of your schedule, I'm slightly worried that you won't have enough time (despite your good intentions to study a lot).

I can't honestly say you'd have zero chance, especially if the rest of your application is stellar, as there are some schools less fussy about this. But we see so many applicants who got in nowhere despite excellent numbers and generally good ECs who are given med school feedback that they need more active clinical experience interacting with sick people. The passive observership of shadowing doesn't cover this. It's better to know this now than to engage in an expensive and fruitless application cycle, right? There are so many excellent candidates who have the whole package; why give adcomms a good excuse to pass you by?

If you honestly can't adjust your schedule to allow for an essential EC, then consider waiting an extra year before you apply. Really.