IM as a specialty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scotty6278

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have done alot of research on many of the medical specialties, in terms of lifestyle, earnings and just the overall happiness of the docs in these specialties and I have to say it just seems as though many IM docs are not happy, to the point where they simply tell me that I would be crazy to go into med these days. Granted medicine has changed but would you guys say you can still do decent in IM (150K lets say) and actually have a life? Or is IM just an area to stay away from right now. Admittedly I would like to specialize but my mentality is that I may not get that opportunity and may have to do IM. thanks for the help

Members don't see this ad.

Nice article. In my IM class, at a big academic institution, i believe over 80% are going to subspecialties. We are being swamped with nice job offers to join group practices and such, with very nice incentives and pay. But none of the residents that I know decided to change the plan and go to primary care.

Something has to happen to atract more people to primary care. Essentially you see those docs unhappy with pay, high patient loads and having to deal with too much burocracy....

lf