Im Asian, its the parents nail shop for me if I dont get accepted. BACK UP!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TamHLe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone recommend any good back up plans? I was thinking of doing a 1 yr master, my DAT prep is going well, but Im not to sure how high I can get in 1 month with 3.15 GPA so its very unlikely ill make it this cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone recommend any good back up plans? I was thinking of doing a 1 yr master, my DAT prep is going well, but Im not to sure how high I can get in 1 month with 3.15 GPA so its very unlikely ill make it this cycle.

Join an asian gang...

Are you in dentistry because you're passionate about it or because it comes with prestige, money etc? If dentistry is your passion become a hygienist, if money is it go into business more money can be made as a businessman. If prestige/respect is what you want become a teacher.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in the same situation.

I feel your pain. But I am currently in a Master's right now and doing alright despite low first half course load. Hopefully come academic average, I will pull my gpa to 3.35.

Most importantly, I need to get my DAT to have a 22+ AA.

Last edited:
I personally think that there's nothing wrong with working at your parent's nail shop, and that there's no point in getting a master's unless you want to boost your GPA. You're lucky you even have the option of working for your parent's business as a backup. It's a crazy job market out there.

financial security is always good, but my parents business ventures is very well off so I dont think the big issue is money. 1) my first passion is helping people 2) For speech class I did a topic about dental floss and which ones were the better choice and persuade my friends to floss daily instead of the never or once a week answers, so I can say iam passionate about dentistry, however Im the type that likes to take control of things and being in charge so being a hygienist wont work.

I say if you are interested in working with people, helping people feel better about themselves and working with hands.

I say just take the nail shop.

And convert it into massage parlor. Get the windows pitch black and couple cameras up front and you will be earning a lot $. and your overhead would be just soap and lotion and couple scented oils. And i am pretty sure you have contacts to get your associates or employees.

You will all the aspects of dentistry but in diff. field. Clients, employees, business, working with hands, etc...

Looks like people here like the nail shop business. I was just kidding about that, my parents would never let me work there. I thought itll be a funny idea to put. What I really wanted was to know if doing a 1 year masters program while I applied for 2012 cycle is a good back up. I hope to be more competitive next cycle if not this.

Are you in dentistry because you're passionate about it or because it comes with prestige, money etc? If dentistry is your passion become a hygienist, if money is it go into business more money can be made as a businessman. If prestige/respect is what you want become a teacher.

And if you wan't all three, become a dentist.

You can try some post-bacc programs if you don't want to do a master's. At Baylor College of Dentistry, they have a post-bacc program with limited number of spaces to get in. Finish the program and your pretty much accepted into the dental school. Also you should be doing some extracurricular activities like volunteering and shadowing. If you have time to kill, you can probably get certified as a dental assistant and work in an office until you decide on when to go back to school again. Also do well on those DAT's. It's not difficult if you study smart.

Err.. Not all Asians are nail shop owners...

Maybe you should specify the Asian in your title as Vietnamese :)

Jokes aside, I think if you did well on your DAT you would have a shot at your state school.

Where are you residing?

Err.. Not all Asians are nail shop owners...

Maybe you should specify the Asian in your title as Vietnamese :)

Jokes aside, I think if you did well on your DAT you would have a shot at your state school.

Where are you residing?

if im correct by seeing her other post on TMDSAS and assume that her state is Texas

it would be very hard to get into Texas schools with that GPA (along with OOS). Lowest accepted doesn't even go that low and average at places like SA was around 3.7

the fact OP is Asian will also not help with getting in. i know it sucks but there are only so many spots that Asians will take and there are too many Asians with stellar GPA/DAT.

and since OP hasn't even taken DAT yet, I can honestly say expect to have at least post-bach and masters done