Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

IM at Allegheny

Discussion in 'Internal Medicine and IM Subspecialties' started by abu barney, Jul 14, 2002.

1. abu barney

abu barney resident revolutionary

Anyone know anything about the IM program at Allegheny General Hospital. I hear good things about their other programs. Input would be appreciated...

Also, what are the best IM programs in philly? How are temple and MCP hahnemann?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Stormreaver

Stormreaver The Blade of Tyshalle

The best IM program in Philly is by general consensus, the UPenn program. Jefferson is also considered pretty good. Temple and MCP are respectively ranked after that.

I didn't interview in Philly, but this was the general impression of people I talked to.

4. Lara

Lara Senior Member

Medical Student
    Temple got pretty good reviews on scutwork.com. I've also seen the 2002 match list from the med school and a large proportion of graduates going into IM are staying there (I'd say almost 50%)...so I'd presume they had a good experience during their clinical rotation, otherwise they wouldn't have ranked it top 3-4.

5. Priapos

Priapos New Member

I'm not sure which program you are referring to. Do you mean the Pittsburgh program or Mcp hahnemann in philly?

Regarding Philly, here is my take.

Upenn is largely considered the most abrasive of the bunch but a powerful reputation.

Temple is probably second best in terms of reputation with Mcp Hahnmenn's program a very close third. Mcp Hahnemann is 2nd for many things and first for cardiology. Mcp Hahnemann suffered a terrible financial catastrophe recently, something that seems to have dragged down the program's reputation. If tenet's stock and balance sheet is to be believed, than the program is rock solid, more so than any other philly program.

Jefferson is a one hospital program with a mediocre medicine program that doesn't seem to match residents into competitive specialities consistently. In my travels, it is largely considered the bottom of the barrel university program in philly.

Another interesting tidbit about Mcp Hahnemann that I learned was that the program has attracted record number of home-grown talent this year (approx 20 according to a friend in the program). If this is a meter of the programs viability, than it has indeed regained it's former luster.

I would rank philly programs like this

1. Upenn
    2,3. Temple and Mcp hahnemann
    4 Jefferson

6. dingiswayo

dingiswayo Senior Member

The analysis by Priapos is exactly right.

7. gherelin

gherelin Member

For what it's worth....As a graduate of MCP/HU, I was not that impressed with many aspects of the program. Now, after going through a month at another program (though not in IM), I have come to have more respect. If I didn't need to leave Philly for personal reasons, I now think staying at MCP/Hahnemann would have been a viable choice-like many of my classmates decided. Although just to be sure there's no illusions, MCP/HU did a very heavy recuitment effort to keep us "homegrown talent"over the course of the pre-rank list season. That had to have something to do with it. Some of the issues they brought up (not having to get to know a whole new hospital, for example, did make an impression with me anyway.)
    Good luck!

8. Future GI Guy

Future GI Guy Hoo Hoo....

I have read that MCP's residents have moved to an all night-float system in IM. The website, though, doesn't spell this out and still implies that q4 or q5's spend the night in the hospital.

Can anyone confirm which is the case.

Thanks

9. abu barney

abu barney resident revolutionary

Thanks everyone for the philly program analysis. Anything on Allegheny?

10. I trained at Allegheny between 1994-1998, after transferring when I got married. I completed a dual EM/IM residency, and became double boarded. While I was there, we went back and forth with the night float system due to residents wanting continuity etc. Anyway, training was very good. Excellent actually. I trained 50% of my time in Medicine.
    Since then the hospital system has undergone change. However, I sure that it is still great.