IM audition rotations in Northern CA, DO student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

persianbbq4u

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was interested to finding out about the best places as a DO student to do IM audition rotations in NorCal? After looking at where there are IM DO residents in NorCal, Kaiser Santa Clara/Oakland, Highland, and Santa Clara Medical Center seem to be potential spots to do audition rotations. I assume TUCOM students will have a good idea about this.

Any advice and direction would be appreciated. If there are informative threads out there, please direct me to them. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

How about UC Davis?

I'd stay away from Stanford. Last I heard they are not very DO friendly...? Maybe that's changed...

takotsubo,

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, UC Davis is a possibility. According to a DO a few years back, to say UCD is "DO friendly" is a stretch but there are DO residents in FP and I believe one or two in ortho. I am currently a 2nd year at MSUCOM, so I will have to look up their website and see what info I can gather. Something that I wanted to clear up is if slots fill up as fast as the websites say? Highland recommends students book rotations a year or so in advance, kind of tuff since we are not 100% set on a specialty at this point.

Members don't see this ad :)
when I was in my third year at UC Davis in 2003, one of the IM chief residents was a DO. This is probably a good sign of DO friendliness.

Madcadaver, thanks for the info. Can anyone else offer their $0.02 to other hospitals to look into? Any advice would be great

I'd stay away from Stanford. Last I heard they are not very DO friendly...? Maybe that's changed...

Really? I could have sworn I read something about Stanford making an "official" statement about accepting osteopathic students for rotations and beyond.

I was talking to a PD of a ACGME Transitional year program (he's a DO) and he said that Stanford now considers the COMLEX as equivalent to the USMLE and will evaluate DO students based on COMLEX scores alone.

Personally, I'm not too sure this is likely to happen in reality anytime soon. But it's still a step in the right direction...

You should consider St. Mary's in San Francisco:
http://www.stmarysmed.org/about.htm

9 categorical IM positions every year, and there have been several DOs in recent years. I believe 2 TUCOM-MI grads last year alone.