I'm Back and I have Questions!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2PacClone23

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So as you guys know, I'm wrapping up my Master's.

1) Where should I apply?

Last cycle, (2010), I applied to USC, UCLA, UCSF, UoP, USC, Western, ASDOH, Midwestern AZ, Maryland, NYU, Boston, and Harvard (lol).

I got rejected from everywhere.

Then I retook the DAT and got 23AA/23TS/22PAT.

Where should I apply to now? Same schools? Less? More? Help please!!!

2) I have all my LOR's done, transcripts in hand, PS almost done (I'll be done by late May) and money in the bank to pay for all of this.

Is there anything else you'd suggest? This is my second cycle applying and I really want to make it work out and maximize my chances of getting in. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Apply as early as you can, drop ASDOH unless you have substantial volunteer experience, add Columbia, apply to more schools than last cycle. Good luck 2Pac, I'm rooting for you! I also enjoyed your performance at Coachella. People say it was a hologram but I know who it really was.

Apply as early as you can, drop ASDOH unless you have substantial volunteer experience, add Columbia, apply to more schools than last cycle. Good luck 2Pac, I'm rooting for you! I also enjoyed your performance at Coachella. People say it was a hologram but I know who it really was.

Thanks man. Yeah I have a lot of community service/volunteering/shadowing hours. I'll add Columbia for sure.

Any other schools I should add?

Members don't see this ad :)
The newer schools, Roseman and LECOM

*edit*- I too am rooting for you! Good luck!

Great dat scores btw gl

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

Roseman and LECOM?

Utah and Florida? :(

why Maryland?

throw in uw and unlv as potential west coast schools

why Maryland?

throw in uw and unlv as potential west coast schools

I would not add UW if you are from a state that already has a dental school. Just my $0.02 at least lol :)

I would not add UW if you are from a state that already has a dental school. Just my $0.02 at least lol :)

If that's the case then Cali residents shouldn't apply OOS....but that's clearly not the best advice.

UNLV would be awesome!

Michigan is OOS friendly. I think about 50%. There were quite a few Cali residents at my interview last fall.
I'm just assuming you're from Cali by all the schools you applied to.. Could be wrong tho

bereno makes a good point. i think uw is a badass a school. what the hell, you've got nothing to lose

add michigan

delete

Last edited:
If that's the case then Cali residents shouldn't apply OOS....but that's clearly not the best advice.

UNLV would be awesome!

I'm not sure what you mean here...

However to clarify, all I am saying that the UW favors in state students (~80% in state I beleive), and of those OOS who do get in, most are those in the WICHE states, or states that do not have dental schools (like Idaho, Hawaii, Alaska, etc). I'm not saying you can't get in, its just fairly unlikely.

EDIT: Here is a link to their 2010 admissions stats, and here is a link to their 2005 admissions just in case you were curious

Best of luck! :)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I'm from Cali. What about Detroit Mercy?

Go ahead and add UW, if you want to waste your money.

I'm not sure what you mean here...

However to clarify, all I am saying that the UW favors in state students (~80% in state I beleive), and of those OOS who do get in, most are those in the WICHE states, or states that do not have dental schools (like Idaho, Hawaii, Alaska, etc). I'm not saying you can't get in, its just fairly unlikely.

EDIT: Here is a link to their 2010 admissions stats, and here is a link to their 2005 admissions just in case you were curious

Best of luck! :)

:thumbup::thumbup:

They take a pitiful number OOS that aren't WICHE, you being from CA is almost a guaranteed rejection.

Ok then I won't apply to UW. Any place else?

OHSU likes WICHE. my school BOOM!

Plus,
ASDOH loves re-applicnats and re-re-applicants even more.
Creighton is an excellent clinical school with very affordable cost of attending.
Western since u are from cali.
new schools such as Utah, Roseman.
UNLV & UConn since you get to change your residency after a yr.
Case western review applicants super early since you have all ur docs. might work for you.
Good luck!

Last edited:
OHSU likes WICHE. my school BOOM!

Plus,
ASDOH loves re-applicnats and re-re-applicants even more.
Creighton is an excellent clinical school with very affordable cost of attending.
Western since u are from cali.
new schools such as Utah, Roseman.
UNLV & UConn since you get to change your residency after a yr.
Case western review applicants super early since you have all ur docs. might work for you.
Good luck!

Dude that helps a lot. Isn't Creighton for minorities though?

Thanks!

Dude that helps a lot. Isn't Creighton for minorities though?

Thanks!

Nope, Creighton is a Catholic backed University. I heard it is a great University.

See below: Good luck!
The Mission and Identity of Creighton University

Creighton is a Jesuit university, rooted in the Catholic tradition. At Creighton we live this mission and are guided by our identity. Because we are Catholic, we approach education with a passion for learning and a zeal for making a difference in our world. In the Catholic intellectual tradition, we celebrate our diversity, we learn through dialogue, and we pursue the truth in all its forms. As a Jesuit university we are continually bringing the richness of a 450 year old educational tradition to bear on the most contemporary issues of our world. Our Jesuit vision commits us to form women and men of competence, conscience and compassion who have learned from reflecting upon their experiences of being for and with others. We do this in service of a faith that does justice.

Nope, Creighton is a Catholic backed University. I heard it is a great University.

See below: Good luck!
The Mission and Identity of Creighton University

Creighton is a Jesuit university, rooted in the Catholic tradition. At Creighton we live this mission and are guided by our identity. Because we are Catholic, we approach education with a passion for learning and a zeal for making a difference in our world. In the Catholic intellectual tradition, we celebrate our diversity, we learn through dialogue, and we pursue the truth in all its forms. As a Jesuit university we are continually bringing the richness of a 450 year old educational tradition to bear on the most contemporary issues of our world. Our Jesuit vision commits us to form women and men of competence, conscience and compassion who have learned from reflecting upon their experiences of being for and with others. We do this in service of a faith that does justice.

Damn I always thought it was like Howard. What about the new schools? MOSDOH, UE??

Yeah I'm from Cali. What about Detroit Mercy?

Definitely. It's pretty costly which makes it a little easier to get into. But unlike some of the other really expensive private schools (BU, USC, NYU) it has a great clinical reputation. Definitely worth adding.

Definitely. It's pretty costly which makes it a little easier to get into. But unlike some of the other really expensive private schools (BU, USC, NYU) it has a great clinical reputation. Definitely worth adding.

What about UE and MOSDOH?

My list:

UCLA, UCSF, UoP, Western, USC, ASDOH, Midwestern AZ, Harvard, Detroit Mercy, NYU, Boston, LECOM, Roseman, Maryland, UNLV, Columbia.

New question: Can I get my transcript from my university (still in envelope) and put THAT envelope in ANOTHER envelope alongside the matching form and mail that myself?

My list:

UCLA, UCSF, UoP, Western, USC, ASDOH, Midwestern AZ, Harvard, Detroit Mercy, NYU, Boston, LECOM, Roseman, Maryland, UNLV, Columbia.

New question: Can I get my transcript from my university (still in envelope) and put THAT envelope in ANOTHER envelope alongside the matching form and mail that myself?

Harvard with a 2.70 sgpa?

My list:

Most schools have the envelope sealed with a sticker/label, as long as you don't "Break the seal" you'll be fine

Most schools have the envelope sealed with a sticker/label, as long as you don't "Break the seal" you'll be fine

Oh okay thanks. I just figured that would be WAY easier instead of calling/faxing/emailing everyone the matching forms. I could just mail them in myself.

UPDATE #2:

I went through Excel, calculating EVERYTHING; here it is:

Undergraduate:
AADSAS/Sci/BCP
3.15/2.85/2.64

Graduate (projection):
3.3/3.3/3.3

Undergrad + Graduate:
3.15/2.91/2.70

Please someone edit my school list. Good? Bad?

UPDATE #2:

I went through Excel, calculating EVERYTHING; here it is:

Undergraduate:
AADSAS/Sci/BCP
3.15/2.85/2.64

Graduate (projection):
3.3/3.3/3.3

Undergrad + Graduate:
3.15/2.91/2.70

Please someone edit my school list. Good? Bad?

A couple questions...

Are you a resident of California?

Are you wanting a list of the most likely schools to accept you? Meaning do you just want to go to Dental School anywhere or are you concerned about things like location and cost?

As far as your list,

UCLA, UCSF, Harvard, and probably Columbia all seem like wasted money to me. Your GPA just isn't there. Other than that, I think you are targeting the right schools. If you have $$ to burn, apply to as many as possible to give yourself a chance. I would at least add in MSDOH (the new school in Missouri), Midwestern IL and 1 or 2 more OOS friendly schools that aren't obsessed with GPA.

Good luck!

A couple questions...

Are you a resident of California?

Are you wanting a list of the most likely schools to accept you? Meaning do you just want to go to Dental School anywhere or are you concerned about things like location and cost?

As far as your list,

UCLA, UCSF, Harvard, and probably Columbia all seem like wasted money to me. Your GPA just isn't there. Other than that, I think you are targeting the right schools. If you have $$ to burn, apply to as many as possible to give yourself a chance. I would at least add in MSDOH (the new school in Missouri), Midwestern IL and 1 or 2 more OOS friendly schools that aren't obsessed with GPA.

Good luck!

Yeah I'm a California resident. UCLA is just for "reach". I don't think I'll get it but why not apply? Harvard is just to waste my money honestly haha. UCSF same thing I guess. You never know with these things.

As for MOSDOH, isn't that mainly a in-state school?

To be honest, location is probably my #1 criteria.

Yeah I'm a California resident. UCLA is just for "reach". I don't think I'll get it but why not apply? Harvard is just to waste my money honestly haha. UCSF same thing I guess. You never know with these things.

As for MOSDOH, isn't that mainly a in-state school?

To be honest, location is probably my #1 criteria.

You should not waste your money on Harvard. I had a 22/23/21 with an overall gpa of 3.2 and a science gpa of 3.34. I wasted my money on applying there. I am also a URM who is a career changer and I taught jr. high for 2 years. Harvard has crazy standards for interview invitations which includes needing to not only have a great DAT, but also a great gpa. I think they also like to invite applicants who have only taken the DAT once with an insane score.

So as you guys know, I'm wrapping up my Master's.

1) Where should I apply?

Last cycle, (2010), I applied to USC, UCLA, UCSF, UoP, USC, Western, ASDOH, Midwestern AZ, Maryland, NYU, Boston, and Harvard (lol).

I got rejected from everywhere.

Then I retook the DAT and got 23AA/23TS/22PAT.

Where should I apply to now? Same schools? Less? More? Help please!!!

2) I have all my LOR's done, transcripts in hand, PS almost done (I'll be done by late May) and money in the bank to pay for all of this.

Is there anything else you'd suggest? This is my second cycle applying and I really want to make it work out and maximize my chances of getting in. Thanks!

Can you specify your last year stats ? GPA, DAT, EC and others ?

Your DAT is outrageous. Congrats

Honestly, if you have shown positive grade trend. I think you'll get into some school. That's how it has worked at my school, and I am sure that is the general consensus around the country. Good luck!

MOSDOH is going to be a private school (Part of the A.T. Still program I believe). Similar to ASDOH, holistic view, and I asked the gentleman that came and spoke at my school what costs and admissions would look like. If memory serves me correct I want to say in the range of $230k+ I could be a little off here (he seemed to not want to give me a specific number) so the tuition price is an estimate I just threw out at him and he said that it would probably be a little above 200k since its a private school. I also asked if it would be a school favoring in state applicants and he said "no, because its a private school." Last thing I think he said was that the entering class size would be around 40-50, again these numbers are probably not exact.

He came before finals week and it seems that the last two weeks of school are the most hectic, so I had a lot on my mind. I hope this helps a little.

Not to hijack your thread but could someone else confirm this as I've seen conflicting statements about this through my past searches. Thanks.

MOSDOH is going to be a private school (Part of the A.T. Still program I believe). Similar to ASDOH, holistic view, and I asked the gentleman that came and spoke at my school what costs and admissions would look like. If memory serves me correct I want to say in the range of $230k+ I could be a little off here (he seemed to not want to give me a specific number) so the tuition price is an estimate I just threw out at him and he said that it would probably be a little above 200k since its a private school. I also asked if it would be a school favoring in state applicants and he said "no, because its a private school." Last thing I think he said was that the entering class size would be around 40-50, again these numbers are probably not exact.

He came before finals week and it seems that the last two weeks of school are the most hectic, so I had a lot on my mind. I hope this helps a little.

And what does that say about my chances?

Not to hijack your thread but could someone else confirm this as I've seen conflicting statements about this through my past searches. Thanks.

Yeah you're fine. Just stick the envelope of the transcript inside another envelope.

Last minute update:

I have PS done. LORs ready. Money ready. Transcripts ready.

Anything else??

Last edited:
Anything else on the school list or the post above?

a cold beer and airplane ticket for a long vacation starting june 5th

a cold beer and airplane ticket for a long vacation starting june 5th

Haha dude I still have my Master's final and exam. My spring 2012 grades won't even be up until like june 25 so that's when it starts.

Not to mention all the supplemental applications!