IM Board Scores CCF

Discussion in 'Internal Medicine and IM Subspecialties' started by jtre506, Dec 22, 2008.

1. jtre506

jtre506 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hello all,
    I was wondering how competitive I am for Internal Medicine, here are my stats.

top 10% of my class (osteopathic student)
    246/99 USMLE step I
    684/94 Comlex
    4 publications
    2 poster presentations

Thoughts?.. Thanks in advance

2. docmd2010

docmd2010 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i'd say you're pretty competitive based upon what i've read for d.o.'s trying to match im at top places like the clinic. you've got some great stats :thumbup:

make sure you apply broadly, i hear that cleveland clinic gets over 6000 applications for like 50 spots.

good luck to you.

3. DrWBD

DrWBD Formerly 'wanna_be_do'
    Lifetime Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You look great on paper. I think the more relevant question is whether the CCF is good enough for you.

From what I've heard recently, their medicine program is in a big state of flux right now due to the recent changes (the dividing of the clinic into "institutes") and the Department of Medicine existing there in name only. Do your own research into this, as I learned this from a faculty member there and have no personal experience at the Clinic.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. dragonfly99

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Congrats. That is a great Step 1 score.
    Your class rank is also high.
    I hope you honored your medicine subI.
    With that score I would apply broadly and would think you'd be competitive to get into a good medicine program. I don't know how much being a DO will hurt you for MD residencies, but I'm sure many won't care about the type of degree as much as what type of candidate you are. Would not hang your hopes on one program, whether its CCF or another place. You might not like it, or they might decide they don't like you for whatever reason.

5. ceftazidime

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    It's unfortunate that your board scores aren't that great... I think most institutions look for at least 100 for the 2-digit score on Step I. But the fact that you have some publications is helpful. I would say you are at least mildly competitive for IM at most places.

Seriously dude... you have to ask? If you have your heart set on CC and haven't received an invite yet, e-mail the program director/assistant and state your interest in the program.

6. jtre506

jtre506 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks for the replys, any suggestions on good books to read to prepare myself for audition rotations?

7. muscles

muscles student of the month
    2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    what kind of away rotation are you doing?