Im bored of talking about the match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Loopo,

I belief you and I occupied the same universe growing up. I rocked the parachute pants, sahara hat, checkered vans, members only jacket, and could not stop popping and break dancing to Nucleus' song - Jam On It or UTFO - Roxanne Roxanne. We used cardboard once and a while, but my good friend snagged a piece of linoleum that was sweet. I agree - now the hiphop movies are totally lame. 50cent kind of crap.

Then, in 86' I started with the Air Jordan's and the lame bugle boy jeans. Lots of gel in the hair - that looked as plastic as my trapper keeper.

In the late 80's I started shaving the sides of my head, but maintained the short hair on top - every one on the wrestling team did that. we looked like idiots and were trying to emulate that tool from the movie vision quest. I didn't apply any glitter, but I had some friends that carved all sorts of ******ed crap into their hair and thought they were bad asses. They wore BUM equipment and Z cavarichi. Jersey at its finest.

Never did rock a mullet though - but I did sport a little tail back in the day.

Now, as I lose my hair - I am more content with the possibility of baldness then regressing back to the majority of lame haircuts I've sported over my life.

Members don't see this ad.

Well the olympics start tonight. I saw a little blurb on road runner from the opening ceremony, and it looked like dudes dressed in white with giant blown up condoms on their heads. Maybe this years theme is safe sex around the world. Kind of an odd theme that close to Vatican city and the Shroud of Turin. Have a fun weekend y'all. I'm out!

Didn't Starsky and Hutch drive a Ford Torino? I don't think they had a shroud though...

Very interesting to see the North and South Koreas marching as one country (wishful thinking on SOMEONE's part, North or South?) and Iran and Israel just a few feet apart. People really aren't that different after all and the whole war thing is stupefying.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mumpu said:
Didn't Starsky and Hutch drive a Ford Torino? I don't think they had a shroud though...

Very interesting to see the North and South Koreas marching as one country (wishful thinking on SOMEONE's part, North or South?) and Iran and Israel just a few feet apart. People really aren't that different after all and the whole war thing is stupefying.

I agree. I worry about the middle east. I seems we are on the brink of the apocalypse. Stupid cartoons causing worldwide riots and deaths, Iran building a nuke, daily death and destruction in Iraq, Hamas elected as political leaders in Palestine. Everything is more than a little crazy in the world, and what kills me is that it is all in the name of God. I don't care if you are a Muslim, Christian, Jew, Buddhist, Hindu or Sikh, no one in their right mind could possibly believe that an all loving, all caring God would be happy with all of this violence and death. I think that any organized religion makes a fatal mistake by assuming that it knows anything definite about God or how God thinks. We humans tend to transpose human needs and weakness onto our deities in order to better understand them, but by personalizing God we lose sight of the fact the he/she is infallible and therefore incapable of having human faults/needs/wrath/hatred. Instead of getting people to love one another, religion often divides creating a fertile environment for judgement, pride and exclusionism (aka sin). People in my part of the world love to ask WWJD, I don't know what he would do right now, but I am pretty sure he would be sad.

Sorry about the uber serious rant on the humor thread. I couldn't help myself. Mumpu's post brought forth an excellent point about the division of mankind and I had to respond in kind.

Don't pin it all on religion. This divisiveness would be apparent regardless of religion. Even if everybody had sex with everybody else and there was one common religion, there would be war.

A LOT of what occurs is superficially about religion and at its heart about power, land, and economics. People naturally divide up into groups and then go to war to obtain supreme power over whatever the area happens to be.

The problem is when you interfere in a region or with the control imposed by a group of people on themselves, you cause a ripple effect that cannot be predicted. This is everybody's fault, but the ultimate blame has to go on the head of the nation that has played the largest role in politics and in change in the region. That would be the United States, because we have dictated regime changes (putting the Taliban into power as well as Saddam Hussein and then summarily taking them out when they stopped agreeing with us) and stationed our troops as "guardians" throughout the region. I think it has been to our advantage to do this (have you seen how much cheaper gas is here than in Europe??). It works to our advantage to make sure the Middle East 1) does not develop and 2) has people in power that will favor us over China and other nations that are growing to challenge American hegemony. I think this has played the BIGGEST role in attitudes about the West. China is hugely powerful but you don't see the same feelings directed at places like China, Russia, or even India (Kashmir does NOT count because that happened because the British were being a**holes).

I feel that the way the US ran things was brilliant and if I controlled this country, thinking in the best interests of this country, all that the US has done, and the rhetoric it has employed to support it, is brilliant, and warranted for the purpose of making sure that the way of life within the US is maintained. But that ultimately comes at the expense of others. You cannot gain without others losing, period. We can live like we do because we're a**holes to everybody else and don't care what happens to them in the long run except in the context of how it impacts us. But you can't expect otherwise.

BlahtoThis said:
Don't pin it all on religion. This divisiveness would be apparent regardless of religion. Even if everybody had sex with everybody else and there was one common religion, there would be war.

A LOT of what occurs is superficially about religion and at its heart about power, land, and economics. People naturally divide up into groups and then go to war to obtain supreme power over whatever the area happens to be.

The problem is when you interfere in a region or with the control imposed by a group of people on themselves, you cause a ripple effect that cannot be predicted. This is everybody's fault, but the ultimate blame has to go on the head of the nation that has played the largest role in politics and in change in the region. That would be the United States, because we have dictated regime changes (putting the Taliban into power as well as Saddam Hussein and then summarily taking them out when they stopped agreeing with us) and stationed our troops as "guardians" throughout the region. I think it has been to our advantage to do this (have you seen how much cheaper gas is here than in Europe??). It works to our advantage to make sure the Middle East 1) does not develop and 2) has people in power that will favor us over China and other nations that are growing to challenge American hegemony. I think this has played the BIGGEST role in attitudes about the West. China is hugely powerful but you don't see the same feelings directed at places like China, Russia, or even India (Kashmir does NOT count because that happened because the British were being a**holes).

I feel that the way the US ran things was brilliant and if I controlled this country, thinking in the best interests of this country, all that the US has done, and the rhetoric it has employed to support it, is brilliant, and warranted for the purpose of making sure that the way of life within the US is maintained. But that ultimately comes at the expense of others. You cannot gain without others losing, period. We can live like we do because we're a**holes to everybody else and don't care what happens to them in the long run except in the context of how it impacts us. But you can't expect otherwise.

Wow, You out-ranted my rant. I am impressed. I agree that it is a complex problem, but religion plays no small role either. It is often used as both a tool of subjugation (see Iran, the Taliban etc...) as well as a motivational tool to kill without negative consequence (see suicide bombers, the crusades etc...). Economic, power, and real estate will always be factors in any war, but religion acts as a catalyst. Is Israel really that awesome of a piece of real estate or have people been killing each other there for thousands of years because it is at the convergence of three major religions? Organized religions tend to be intolerant of one another by rule. The reason may be different idealogies but it is probably about control of the masses in the end. Religion adds the feeling of moral supremacy to any conflict, and when you feel morally superior almost any crime can seem justified (see the holocaust).

I think we get on a slippery slope when we begin USA bashing. I don't think all of the violence is directed towards the US because of our hegemony (excellent word by the way, I had to look it up). I agree that we meddle in world affairs alot, but that is the lot of a superpower. We can not be a nation unto ourselves and expect to be great. We can not be a great nation, and ignore the plight of other nations. We can not look the other way when other nations harbor people that drive planes into our buildings. People hate America because of what America is. Not a place looking for world domination, but instead a country of unrivaled freedom, wealth and opportunity. Al Qaida hates us because we let women vote, and we let Jews live. They hate us because we walked on Saudi Arabian soil while liberating a country from a hostile invasion (Kuwait, not Iraq). Al Qaida doesn't hate China or India because people don't look to China or India as places of religous freedom and Democracy. People aren't flocking to migrate to China or India. People flock to immigrate to the US. There is a reason for that, and that is why we are hated.

I usually read on this thread and dont post (mainly cuz I'm not totally bored of talking about the M word yet =) ) but I felt the need to make at least one point known...India is VERY much at the core of hatred of AL Qaeda...a very large percentage of acts of terrorism in India are due to al qaeda efforts, and Pakistan (the us's supposed ally, houses many many al qaeda cells)...also the fact is, India is a place of religious freedom and is the largest TRUE democracy in the world (even the US is not a true democracy, but rather a representative democracy...i.e. we still have an electoral college who in theory can overthrow the population votes, India is a pure and true democracy and is the largest one at that)...I am not Indian, but I have many Indian friends, and always find it necessary to spread the word on behalf of what they have taught me (and because I love many aspects of Indian culture)...I believe it is necessary to recognize these facts as India is in fact probably the US's greatest ally, as they both experience acts of terrorism on a regular basis (we in the US dont hear about it much on TV since they are not advertised here much), both are large independent democracies, and both hate al qaeda...in terms of people flocking to migrate there...well unfortunately the country is poor and both china and india have the largest populations...dont be fooled, although religious persecution was an initial driving force to emigration to the US, most of the driving force today is not for democracy or freedom, but is for economic reasons...obviously with such a large population, India/china cannot support a large immigrant population...Don't get me wrong, I love the US, and will support it every day, but I have much faith and respect for our Indian colleagues...

this is a side thought, and doesnt totally pertain tot he whole message so far, but since loopo said "Al Qaida doesn't hate China or India because people don't look to China or India as places of religous freedom and Democracy. People aren't flocking to migrate to China or India. People flock to immigrate to the US. There is a reason for that, and that is why we are hated." I just thought it was necessary to correct the thought...

DrHeartMD said:
I usually read on this thread and dont post (mainly cuz I'm not totally bored of talking about the M word yet =) ) but I felt the need to make at least one point known...India is VERY much at the core of hatred of AL Qaeda...a very large percentage of acts of terrorism in India are due to al qaeda efforts, and Pakistan (the us's supposed ally, houses many many al qaeda cells)...also the fact is, India is a place of religious freedom and is the largest TRUE democracy in the world (even the US is not a true democracy, but rather a representative democracy...i.e. we still have an electoral college who in theory can overthrow the population votes, India is a pure and true democracy and is the largest one at that)...I am not Indian, but I have many Indian friends, and always find it necessary to spread the word on behalf of what they have taught me (and because I love many aspects of Indian culture)...I believe it is necessary to recognize these facts as India is in fact probably the US's greatest ally, as they both experience acts of terrorism on a regular basis (we in the US dont hear about it much on TV since they are not advertised here much), both are large independent democracies, and both hate al qaeda...in terms of people flocking to migrate there...well unfortunately the country is poor and both china and india have the largest populations...dont be fooled, although religious persecution was an initial driving force to emigration to the US, most of the driving force today is not for democracy or freedom, but is for economic reasons...obviously with such a large population, India/china cannot support a large immigrant population...Don't get me wrong, I love the US, and will support it every day, but I have much faith and respect for our Indian colleagues...

this is a side thought, and doesnt totally pertain tot he whole message so far, but since loopo said "Al Qaida doesn't hate China or India because people don't look to China or India as places of religous freedom and Democracy. People aren't flocking to migrate to China or India. People flock to immigrate to the US. There is a reason for that, and that is why we are hated." I just thought it was necessary to correct the thought...

I stand corrected. Thank you DrHeartMD.

I also stand bored of the direction in which this thread has turned. There is very little humor in talking about Al Qaida. Unfortuately I have nothing witty to say tonight (some would argue, I never do). I did just attend a Motley Crue concert, and I have to say they put on an awesome live show. My ears are ringing, my neck hurts, and I am hoarse. My favorite part of the show was definetly Tommy Lee's Ti&&y Cam. No matter how educated I get, I still love naked ladies!!! I am sorry in advance if my comment is crude and objectifies women, but I am powerless in the face of overwhelming testosterone.

The USA sucks at the winter olympics!!! There I said it.

That's the beauty (and the spirit) of the Olympics -- total underdogs have a real chance at beating hyped world champions.

Loopo Henle said:
I have some axis 2 cluster C tendencies that have caused unwanted intrusive thoughts to persist in my brain for the past few months, Namely the match and my rank order list. I need to do something else for a while so I have decided to create a worthless opinion thread to amuse myself. Anyone who wants to join into this flame free zone is welcome. There is to be no talk of ROL's, prestige, love notes etc... So here are a few of my opinions:

1) Growing up in the country is superior to growing up in the city. If you grow up in the city, you are ill prepared to kill and eat your own food. Although, I no longer enjoy killing other living things (exept for dreadful bacteria, mosquitos and the occasional protozoan), I do possess the skills to do so. So when the rapture comes, I will be able to continue eating even after all of the chic-fil-A's close.
2) Scarlett Johansen is the second sexiest woman on earth.
3) I love birds, but I feel they would eat me if they could.
4) I vehemently dislike our current political administration's foreign, domestic and social policies although I admire their incredible spin team.
5) Given my interest in GI, I have considered changing my name to Loopo Bowel.

I have a theory (looks like a trend), that this thread will fail miserably and die a premature death secondary to the personality of my chosen field, but we shall see.
Hey loopo!!! :smuggrin:

Billy Corgan is the hottest man alive and he can sing.
Balut is the best aphrodisiac.
I also have ADD.... ohh, a bird. :scared: :scared:

+pad+ Whoopsie, double post.

Benzo4every1 said:
Hey loopo!!! :smuggrin:

Billy Corgan is the hottest man alive and he can sing.
Balut is the best aphrodisiac.
I also have ADD.... ohh, a bird. :scared: :scared:

Welcome back to the warped pseudo-reality land that is SDN my little benzophile. Long time no see. I guess you have been a little sleepy lately, perhaps pertaking in too many valiums? That would explain why you think that gangly bald dude is sexy, apparently you are doped up and eating too much hot vit lon. I had no idea balut was an aphrodisiac. Next time I see you, I will cook you a scrumptuos dinner.

Appetizer- Candied manroot (ginger) and raw oysters
Soup- Shark fin soup
Entree- Soft boiled fertilized duck egg topped with ground rhinoceros horn
Post-Entree drink- Cobra venom wine
Dessert- Chocolate cake with fresh peaches and bananas

And for me: Lumpia (because it is the best food in the world)

I better take my Yohimbe and Horny Goat Weed now!!!

Blue grass kicks BiLo's butt!!!

Loopo Henle said:
Welcome back to the warped pseudo-reality land that is SDN my little benzophile. Long time no see. I guess you have been a little sleepy lately, perhaps pertaking in too many valiums? That would explain why you think that gangly bald dude is sexy, apparently you are doped up and eating too much hot vit lon. I had no idea balut was an aphrodisiac. Next time I see you, I will cook you a scrumptuos dinner.

Appetizer- Candied manroot (ginger) and raw oysters
Soup- Shark fin soup
Entree- Soft boiled fertilized duck egg topped with ground rhinoceros horn
Post-Entree drink- Cobra venom wine
Dessert- Chocolate cake with fresh peaches and bananas

And for me: Lumpia (because it is the best food in the world)

I better take my Yohimbe and Horny Goat Weed now!!!

Blue grass kicks BiLo's butt!!!
Raw oysters? *vomit* Gross. I think seafood is the most disgusting foodstuff there is to digest, except catfish *meow* :love:
I don't drink wine, loopo. I need me some hard liquor so please keep in stock some coconut rum next time I see you. Im working with a neurologist now and he gave me a packet called Emergen-C. Hahah. Do you drink this stuff? It was orange flavored. I haven't tried it yet...maybe never. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Benzo4every1 said:
Raw oysters? *vomit* Gross. I think seafood is the most disgusting foodstuff there is to digest, except catfish *meow* :love:
I don't drink wine, loopo. I need me some hard liquor so please keep in stock some coconut rum next time I see you. Im working with a neurologist now and he gave me a packet called Emergen-C. Hahah. Do you drink this stuff? It was orange flavored. I haven't tried it yet...maybe never. ;)

Alright, I will start purchasing some Malibu to have on hand for your drinking pleasure. I heard coconut rum goes well with duck eggs and lumpia. We will probably need the Emergen-C for the next morning before we go to ACLS!!!

My favorite orange flavored beverage is metamucil, yum!!!!!!!

Loopo Henle said:
Alright, I will start purchasing some Malibu to have on hand for your drinking pleasure. I heard coconut rum goes well with duck eggs and lumpia. We will probably need the Emergen-C for the next morning before we go to ACLS!!!

My favorite orange flavored beverage is metamucil, yum!!!!!!!
Shoot. I don't see how you down that **** every night, but whatever floats your uhhh, boat. Yeah, boat. :eek: You have email btw ;) Help me help me lord.

I don't mean to change the subject but I have information that absolutley must be passed on right now. The movie "Waiting" is one of the funniest movies that has ever been put to screen. I'm in Philly with some of my friends and we just took the PE. We watched this movie and I have to say it has changed my entire life. Without giving anything away, in the last 2 hours I've been brained and batwinged twice, and almost fell victim to the goat. You're gonna have to watch the movie to figure out what all that means. Anywayz, it has officially eclipsed "Army of Darkness" as the best and most quotable man movie of all time. Just needed to spread the word.

I don't mean to change the subject but I have information that absolutley must be passed on right now. The movie "Waiting" is one of the funniest movies that has ever been put to screen. I'm in Philly with some of my friends and we just took the PE. We watched this movie and I have to say it has changed my entire life. Without giving anything away, in the last 2 hours I've been brained and batwinged twice, and almost fell victim to the goat. You're gonna have to watch the movie to figure out what all that means. Anywayz, it has officially eclipsed "Army of Darkness" as the best and most quotable man movie of all time. Just needed to spread the word

Boomstick said:
I don't mean to change the subject but I have information that absolutley must be passed on right now. The movie "Waiting" is one of the funniest movies that has ever been put to screen. I'm in Philly with some of my friends and we just took the PE. We watched this movie and I have to say it has changed my entire life. Without giving anything away, in the last 2 hours I've been brained and batwinged twice, and almost fell victim to the goat. You're gonna have to watch the movie to figure out what all that means. Anywayz, it has officially eclipsed "Army of Darkness" as the best and most quotable man movie of all time. Just needed to spread the word.
Is this the version of the book "waiting" from ha jin?
Or some other **** that Im not aware of?

Boomstick said:
I don't mean to change the subject but I have information that absolutley must be passed on right now. The movie "Waiting" is one of the funniest movies that has ever been put to screen. I'm in Philly with some of my friends and we just took the PE. We watched this movie and I have to say it has changed my entire life. Without giving anything away, in the last 2 hours I've been brained and batwinged twice, and almost fell victim to the goat. You're gonna have to watch the movie to figure out what all that means. Anywayz, it has officially eclipsed "Army of Darkness" as the best and most quotable man movie of all time. Just needed to spread the word

Unfortunately I don't have the "goods" required for the brain and batwing, but I still kicked my husband in the butt several times anyways.

Herecy! Nothing is better than Army of Darkness.

I'll take my army of zombies and the Oldsmobile against your army of waiters any day.

So... How about the US olympic (ahem) "team" and the total lack of any sort of team spirit (snow boarders and Future Orthopaedic Patients of America (aka mogul skiers) aside). Downright embarrassing if you ask me.

Benzo4every1 said:

Awesome! I saw this great little video clip with a rhinoceros with noodles on his back singing a song about it, but can't find it. Will post if I can find it.

Oops--banana phone is ringing...gotta go...

DS

Mumpu said:
So... How about the US olympic (ahem) "team" and the total lack of any sort of team spirit (snow boarders and Future Orthopaedic Patients of America (aka mogul skiers) aside). Downright embarrassing if you ask me.
Youre actually watching the wiener olympics? Ill be good to myself and remember to catch veronica mars on wednesdays
Nips!

Benzo4every1 said:
Youre actually watching the wiener olympics? Ill be good to myself and remember to catch veronica mars on wednesdays
Nips!

Leave the wiener out of this! I would never watch olympics about weiners unless you are talking about dachshunds or oscar meyers. The real olympics kick butt. I am transfixed by things I would never consider watching before now: Ice dancing, women's hockey and relay cross country skiing. There is nothing quite like the olympics. I should be studying neuro but instead I am watching the "Herminator" kick our skiers rump down the giant slalom.

Boy, the activity on this website sure is picking up. I wonder what the heck is going on? :laugh: