IM call schedule at UCLA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

antoniop

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what the call schedule looks like at UCLA? When are they long, short, etc. and how many patients they admit for each?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I am at UCLA. Our call schedule for each service:

Solid Onc/Liquid Onc (J service): q 5 (no admissions for intern on call, instead you cross-cover on approx. 50-60 patients; resident admits every week day with the Heme/Onc fellows, no admission cap but usually 3-6 patients a day)

Wards at UCLA: q 6 long call with a short call in between (long-post-reg-short-reg-reg). Long call cap is 5 and short call cap is 3. We cap around 80% of the time.

ICU: Interns are q 4 long call with short call in between, however, no short call on weekend. Cap is 7 patients. This is variable. I have had nights with zero admissions and nights with seven admissions. Residents are q 6 long call with q 3 short call on alternating weeks.

CCU: Interns are q 5 long call with 2 short calls in between (long-post-short-short-reg). Long cap is 7, short cap is 2.

Total caps for all teams:
Intern: 12 patients
Resident: 24 patients

Hope that helps and you can always post any questions you may have about our program and I will try and answer them.

How does the night float system fit in? Are the R2/R3 years all that better as people say they are? Thanks so much for the info!

Members don't see this ad :)
Our night float system is from 1700 to 0700 on weekdays and 1200 to 0700 on weekends. It is the responsibility of one resident (or intern after December or so) to cross cover all the floor patients except for those of the on call team (anywhere from 60-90 pts). House staff will night float approx. 3 times a year, during the time on a consult or outpatient rotation. Night float isn't that bad and is definitely worth it when you are on a busy call night and wouldn't have time to cross cover sick patients on the floor.
As far as the structure of the program, it is front-loaded. For instance, intern year is 9 ward months while R2/R3 years both alternate between 2 months of wards and 2 months of elective/outpatient rotations for a total of 6 months of wards each. The junior and senior residents will tell you that the R2/R3 years are much better as you usually have 3/4 weekends free while on elective/outpatient months. However, to be fair, the feeling that the R2/R3 years are so much better is definitely driven by the fact the intern year can be tough. Good luck with your decision and let me know if I can help in any other way.

hey norcal, i sent you a msg with some questions i had about your program. if you can get back to me, i would def appreciate it. and thanks for the previous answers