I'm completely losing touch with reality...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LucidSplash

#LimbSalvage
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else had this happen or am I just nuts?

So, there's tons of movies and Christmas specials and whatnot on these days. Everytime I find myself watching one where one or more characters is a doctor, I find myself wondering "I wonder what they wrote on their personal statement" or "what kind of ECs did they have when they applied to medical school" before I catch myself wondering about an application process that never happened because they are not real doctors.

.... :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

ok, how's this:

In the middle of my postbacc (I was a non premed, so went back to school and took bio, chem, physics and orgo all at once), things were going along smoothly, and for all that work, I wasn't all that stressed out. Or so I thought.

So one day, I start watching Gross Anatomy (I think that's what it's called with Matthew Modine), and in the first scene, he goes to ONE medical school interview, and tells the guy he wants to be a doctor to make a lot of money. So the next scene, he gets an acceptance letter, and briefly dances around, et voila- the med school admissions process.

I BURST INTO TEARS, and sob uncontrollably for the next 10 minutes.

I didnt even cry when I got in myself. So, yeah I think I was losing my mind at that point. Happens to the best of us.

Oh good.

I also got angry at a TV doctor last night because he took an "extended vacation" from the hospital because he wasn't sure if he wanted to be a doctor anymore. Then, later he decided to go back and work as a pediatrician, rather than a surgeon (what he had been before). I made some remark under my breathe like "yeah, sure - second residency, no sweat." My husband heard me and said "It's TV!"

:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Now that you are on the topic of tv shows, what the hell kind of physicians are the actors supposed to be on the show "House, MD"? Ive never heard of a specialty that just sits around trying to diagnose some really rare disease. Are they supposed to be some extension of the ER? I dont get it.

Also, LucisSplash you are not alone. I got mad during on episode of Grey's Anatomy where they where just having sex in the hospital. Yes, the doctors having sex with each other, with nurses...etc. Its amazing how distorted an image of the profession people throw on the television.

Now that you are on the topic of tv shows, what the hell kind of physicians are the actors supposed to be on the show "House, MD"? Ive never heard of a specialty that just sits around trying to diagnose some really rare disease. Are they supposed to be some extension of the ER? I dont get it.

Also, LucisSplash you are not alone. I got mad during on episode of Grey's Anatomy where they where just having sex in the hospital. Yes, the doctors having sex with each other, with nurses...etc. Its amazing how distorted an image of the profession people throw on the television.

lmfao. I realize this thread is old as all get out but...still. On House, it's a special diagnostic department which loses the hospital money but brings prestige. lol. And it's so absurd.

I actually can't stomach any medical shows other than the first few seasons of House that I watched and Discovery's Trauma: Life in the ER. Grey's Anatomy, Scrubs, ER...way too much ridiculous personal drama that annoys me.

Isn't House a nephrologist? And isn't it interesting that somebody named lucid_____ started a thread about losing touch with reality. =D

House has a double specialty in nephrology and infectious disease. And while were on the topic, does anyone believe for two minutes that he did a day of volunteer work in ugrad?

My issue with House is that his whole team does it all -- they diagnose, they perform surgery, they are radiology techs running the MRIs, they are clinical lab technicians running CBCs and samples in the lab (and they are always the only ones in the lab), they work in clinic, they work in the ED... I mean, geez, that'd be exhausting.

My issue with House is that his whole team does it all -- they diagnose, they perform surgery, they are radiology techs running the MRIs, they are clinical lab technicians running CBCs and samples in the lab (and they are always the only ones in the lab), they work in clinic, they work in the ED... I mean, geez, that'd be exhausting.

My understanding of House is that his fellows have specialities in diverse areas: Chase is a surgeon, Foreman is a neurologist, Cameron is an immunologist, Taub is derm, etc. I agree, though, it's unrealistic how hands-on they are in every procedure for every patient.

My understanding of House is that his fellows have specialities in diverse areas: Chase is a surgeon, Foreman is a neurologist, Cameron is an immunologist, Taub is derm, etc. I agree, though, it's unrealistic how hands-on they are in every procedure for every patient.

Yeah, but then Cameron started working in the ED. And there is no excuse for the radiology or lab tech business. My boyfriend is a huge fan of the show, and was genuinely shocked when I told him that real life wasn't like House. I am an ED scribe, and he thinks every patient I see must be wildly sick and a diagnostic puzzle. It's funny!

There is a show called Glades where one of the characters keeps working as a nurse while in medical school, and seems to be able to quit med school to move more than once. I have screamed at the television more than once.

Wasn't Taub plastics?

From a doctor point of view, it's useless maybe, but the way it parallels Doyle's original Holmes-Watson dynamic is pretty awesome. Holmes was a violinist addicted to cocaine, Watson was like his superego...I read the original stories in grade school so my memory is foggy (and so was my comprehension at that age I'm sure) but there are a ton of subtleties that the writers fit in here and there

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't forget, House's team also specializes in breaking & entering.

Some the very early episodes of House borrow their plot lines from some very old short stories about Epidemiologic Investigation Service (EIS) officers. They would investigate the home environment as well as examine the patient(s) for clues to the illness. Obviously with a TV drama you use the ensemble cast as much as possible without introducing a host of new characters each week so in some ways it is unrealistic but the hunt for clues and the solving of mysteries is very much a medicine/public health venture.

Sometimes I wonder if by the time you become an attending physician, you lose the capacity to enjoy shows even slightly based on medicine because of how many fallacies and inaccuracies there are in many shows.

House has a double specialty in nephrology and infectious disease. And while were on the topic, does anyone believe for two minutes that he did a day of volunteer work in ugrad?

Well back when he was applying it was all about the numbers...

Sometimes I wonder if by the time you become an attending physician, you lose the capacity to enjoy shows even slightly based on medicine because of how many fallacies and inaccuracies there are in many shows.

I've asked my uncle this exact question. He said they're stupid and he can't watch them lol

hahaha...I worried when I was learning histology because of all the times I'd seen Dr. Cameron diagnosing by looking at slides in the lab.

Okay, I always knew this aspect was just absurd. What doctor would risk their license for this nonsense?

Never liked them in the first place so not losing much! At least with House they actually discuss medicine. Most medical shows aren't medical shows...they're just hospital staff making the rounds with one another. No pun intended.

My favorite med show is Nip/Tuck. I'm sure it's alot more glamorous than real life though.

Maybe 45/ 4.0 stats? Isn't that the sort of character he's supposed to be?

Wasn't House also kicked out of Hopkins, and then got into UMich? When does that happen?

I also heard Married to Medicine was pretty realistic.

Well this is what happens in house of god. Its the main reason why i applied to medical school, dont do this to me man

Omg, I lol'd at this because I just remembered one of the episodes on House where "House" told someone to take one of Cuddy's panties. :laugh:

I watched an episode of Bones where this guy falls from a water tower onto a decomposing body. The EMTs arrive, pick the guy up and put him on the stretcher. I was like OMG! Where the heck is the c-collar and the backboard? You just paralyzed that man! Negligence! Lawsuit!
Then I realized people were staring at me and it was a TV show.