1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

I'm confident I can pass the COMLEX level 2 CE, but not by a lot. What to do?

Discussion in 'Step II' started by WanderingDave, Aug 17, 2011.

1. WanderingDave

WanderingDave Member
    10+ Year Member

I'm very certain I want to be an outpatient family doctor, and dream of getting into a highly respected AOA family residency in NJ or PA. Here's a rough guide to what I bring to the table:

COMLEX level 1: 458 (unimpressive, but a first-shot pass)
    MSI~II grades: Solidly mediocre, B and C range, mostly. No failures.
    MSIII evaluations: 3 glowing (with LORs obtained), 2 average, 2 unflattering but still passing.
    General: Highly unique background, much clinical work experience, no formal research. No academic sanctions, probation, gaps, etc.

My original plan was to knock the COMLEX Level 2 CE out of the park when I take it September 6, but after just getting a 419 on the COMSAE form A, I don't think I'm on track for that. I accept that I'm a solidly mediocre medical student, and I'm pretty sure I can pass Level 2 CE, but not with any fanfare. Not to go into detail, but I've got a lot going on in my personal / family life that could really use my attention. Between now and September 6, does it really make much sense for me to do anything drastic in terms of studying, given my ambitions? In other words, do I really need a respectable Level 2 CE score? Feel free to be brutally honest.

I've done the whole Kaplan USMLE Step II Qbank, reading carefully the explanations for every question. I've read Boards and Wards, and found it the only board review book I could read and actually learn a lot from -- I learn best by just doing questions. My plan is to read the chapters from Step Up or FA for the areas that the COMSAE told me I did poorly or borderline on, and then redo the Kaplan questions from just these topics, then try COMSAE form B or C.

Any other tips?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. GQMO16

GQMO16 Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    why dont you do combank or comquest

4. WanderingDave

WanderingDave Member
    10+ Year Member

^ Thanks. I just looked into this, and it looks like I have enough time between now and then to do all of ComQuest. I think I'll do it, and take another COMSAE.

5. GQMO16

GQMO16 Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    you can easily get through comquest btw now and sept 6, in fact you might even be able to do combank as well with the time you have...i think it's about 2000 q's total which is doable in 3 weeks