I'm confused please help - sGPA (DO) and BCPM (MD)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPTnotMD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I contacted AACOM today and the representative confused me even more. I understand that AACOM does not consider "Physical Therapy" in calculating science GPA. Does that mean every class required to get my Doctorate degree (DPT) does not count - even the upper level science classes in PT school: gross anatomy, pharmacology, neuroscience, physiology, kinesiolgoy, cardiopulmonary, pathology, etc?!?

What does it mean when AMCAS says they accept physical therapy classes?!? I might have a better shot at MD schools if this is the case.

Also, I was an engineering major when I first entered college, I made a D in Engineering physics I. I took General physics I my Jr. year to retake for PT school. PT school counted General Physics I and General Physics II for my Physics pre-req. Can I put General Physics I as retake for my Engineering physics I during the AACOM process.

Members don't see this ad.

I contacted AACOM today and the representative confused me even more. I understand that AACOM does not consider "Physical Therapy" in calculating science GPA. Does that mean every class required to get my Doctorate degree (DPT) does not count - even the upper level science classes in PT school: gross anatomy, pharmacology, neuroscience, physiology, kinesiolgoy, cardiopulmonary, pathology, etc?!?

What does it mean when AMCAS says they accept physical therapy classes?!? I might have a better shot at MD schools if this is the case.

Also, I was an engineering major when I first entered college, I made a D in Engineering physics I. I took General physics I my Jr. year to retake for PT school. PT school counted General Physics I and General Physics II for my Physics pre-req. Can I put General Physics I as retake for my Engineering physics I during the AACOM process.

All of those classes above will count for AACOM. However they will not count for BCPM. And on the second about the physics class's needless to say I don't know.

AMCAS will not include "PT" classes in your BCPM GPA.

AMCAS and AACOMAS may include traditional hard science classes in your BCPM/sGPA even if the prefix is PT provided you send in a course description demonstrating that it is identical to the usual Anatomy, Physiology, etc.

I understand that AACOMAS is fairly liberal about what they allow as a replacement course, provided the credit hours are the same or greater. Since the first one has a prefeix of ENG and the second PHYS, I would anticipate their questioning the issue and send in a course decsription of each to AACOMAS.

BTW, I have no real world experience with AACOMAS aside from what I've learned in the PreMed Osteo Forum here on SDN, so don't take what I say as authoritative. I think it's great that you've called AACOM to ask your questions, and theoretically, there's someone here on SDN who's been in your place that can answer your questions if you post in PreMed Osto.