Im Dmo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perrotfish

Has an MD in Horribleness
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I´ve been asking about attaching to the Navy SEALs, and I´ve been told from a variety of sources that most SOF docs in the Navy are board certified DMOs. I´ve always thought that those designations were mutually exclusive. Is it possible to complete a residency in IM/EM and then become a DMO? What is the timeline here?

Members don't see this ad.

I´ve been asking about attaching to the Navy SEALs, and I´ve been told from a variety of sources that most SOF docs in the Navy are board certified DMOs. I´ve always thought that those designations were mutually exclusive. Is it possible to complete a residency in IM/EM and then become a DMO? What is the timeline here?

There is no such thing as a board certified DMO. There are docs who are board certified in something who are also DMOs, but they are not a terms that is typically combined. You do not need to have completed a residency to be a DMO and work with the SEALs.

Sorry, I miscomunicated. I mean, I thought that doctors who went through a residency necessarily did not go through DMO training, unless they went trough the DMO training first, severed a GMO, and then started residency. Is it possible to go through DMO training after completing a residency, rather than before? If so, is it possible to do so without the delay of a utilization tour?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, I miscomunicated. I mean, I thought that doctors who went through a residency necessarily did not go through DMO training, unless they went trough the DMO training first, severed a GMO, and then started residency. Is it possible to go through DMO training after completing a residency, rather than before? If so, is it possible to do so without the delay of a utilization tour?

You can request to go to dive school at any time. The problem is that after you have completed residency you typically have a family and roots. This makes it difficult to pick up, move for 6 months, and move again. Depending on specialty, the Navy may not want you utilized as a DMO. Esp if there are critical shortages in the area you practice.

You can request to go to dive school at any time. The problem is that after you have completed residency you typically have a family and roots. This makes it difficult to pick up, move for 6 months, and move again. Depending on specialty, the Navy may not want you utilized as a DMO. Esp if there are critical shortages in the area you practice.

NavyFP,
Can you elaborate on the training that DMOs undergo? I'm pretty familiar with flight surgeon training but not so much with DMO. Also, are DMOs as highly regarded in the fleet as flight surgeons (in general...I know there are both POSs and rock stars in every field). Thanks in advance!

Are you familiar with what DMOs attached to the SeALs actually do? Because the stories I hear basically involve sitting around, waiting for them to come back from whatever it is that they do.

No, actually, that´s why I was asking around. I was just curious when I heard about people with complete residencies who also went through DMO training.

Med student information...
I do know that a fellowship exists in Undersea Hyperbaric Medicine at both Duke and Penn. I believe it's off a FM, IM, or even EM type track. From the website, it seems more on the wound care side of the focus.

I do know that a fellowship exists in Undersea Hyperbaric Medicine at both Duke and Penn. I believe it's off a FM, IM, or even EM type track. From the website, it seems more on the wound care side of the focus.
There's a whole bunch of U&HM fellowships out there, though only these two are listed on FREIDA.

All are prioritized to wound care. Wound care is a nice revenue stream for the hospital. Rescuing bent divers isn't very cost effective.

That said, if you like the diving focus combined with a highly academic fellowship, Duke is the place to be.

As the Navy phases out more and more GMO slots, I think you are going to see more residency-trained/board certified docs heading to DMO and FS billets.