Blowflu

7+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Just when I thought this year was going well, I got my score back from my COMLEX 2-PE saying I failed.

This should sound familiar...but I'm completely shocked by this result. Our school does many video-taped reviews and patient encounters, and not once have I been told I've had major deficiencies in the area I failed: History taking and physical exam. The school even did a mock-PE a few months from when I took this exam (3 patients, same timing, OMM required on all), and the only thing I needed to work on was note organization which I passed on this attempt.

I'm currently applying to DO programs, but my main goal is to match MD Peds. My board scores made a big jump this year too...

COMLEX 1 - 515
COMLEX 2CE - 604

With all the money I'm going to spend re-taking this exam (already scheduled the closest retake in October), I'd like to ask what my chances still are of matching to an Allo Peds program (so I don't waste my time and money). I'm guessing not good :(

SLC

A Punk rock Country doc
7+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2010
The Empire
Status
Attending Physician
Meh, just retake it and pass it, you might be surprised. This is the exam with virtually 100% subjective grading, programs know this.

Did you take USMLE? If not that's likely to be more damaging to your chances at ACGME than a failure on PE.

Reactions: IlDestriero
OP
B

Blowflu

7+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Meh, just retake it and pass it, you might be surprised. This is the exam with virtually 100% subjective grading, programs know this.

Did you take USMLE? If not that's likely to be more damaging to your chances at ACGME than a failure on PE.
Unfortunately no USMLE. As you can see from my Step 1, I wasn't quite ready for prime-time and I didn't want two really bad scores instead of one mediocre one so I decided to put all my efforts into improving my COMLEX-1 score (which started off in the 400's predicted by NBOME's). 3rd year I really hammered home IM concepts and reaped the rewards on COMLEX-2. I was hoping a 600's score would make me more competitive for ACGME spots, and maybe I can get a few interviews before programs notice the PE failure.

SLC

A Punk rock Country doc
7+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2010
The Empire
Status
Attending Physician
Unfortunately no USMLE. As you can see from my Step 1, I wasn't quite ready for prime-time and I didn't want two really bad scores instead of one mediocre one so I decided to put all my efforts into improving my COMLEX-1 score (which started off in the 400's predicted by NBOME's). 3rd year I really hammered home IM concepts and reaped the rewards on COMLEX-2. I was hoping a 600's score would make me more competitive for ACGME spots, and maybe I can get a few interviews before programs notice the PE failure.
Fair enough.

Though I may never understand why some give the advice to not take USMLE to someone who wants to go ACGME. I think having a low USMLE is no worse than having no USMLE all, but that's just me.

I'm fairly sure I had a classmate who failed USMLE-1 initially, then retook it and passed. That person is at a State University Peds program right now.

At this point all you can do is apply, you will never match ACGME peds if you don't.

Reactions: racerwad

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2000
forums.studentdoctor.net
Status
Attending Physician
I'd guess that would be osteopathic programs. Allo wouldn't generally have any idea about that and if that's what the OP is interested in, she needs to take the USMLE (as you note).