IM/EM or FM/EM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ineedhopenow

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are my chances of getting into an IM/EM or FM/EM program with a 220 step 1? I don't have any med school research experience or publications.

Members don't see this ad.

What are my chances of getting into an IM/EM or FM/EM program with a 220 step 1? I don't have any med school research experience or publications.
From what I understand they are at least as competitive as the more competitive program of the two.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want the dual board, you need to answer the question "Why do you want it?" Most dual boarded folks end up practicing one or the other, and if you keep both, you'll really be an academic type. I could see use for IM/Peds in rural areas, but to combine EM with others - don't do it. Of course, if you want to practice in a rural location your mention of medicine or FP and EM would be very useful - but don't expect to be fairly compensated and don't expect to pay off you loans unless medical school is paid off. Overseas medicine - probably a good bet also.

EM is competitive, but you can make up ground on Step II and if you're clinically strong, letters will help. Never let the SDN community get you down ;) Get a mentor. Get an advisor. But you'll need to decide what you want to do with your training.

Reactions: 2 users
No one on SDN can tell you what your chances are. It's best you speak to a faculty member/advisor at your school.

Why do you want the dual option?

When he's 60 years old he doesn't want to wake up at 5 AM to deal with a bunch of drunk drivers, hand burners, leg scrapers in the ER. He can transition to being a FM doctor who works that 9-5.

Reactions: 1 user
When he's 60 years old he doesn't want to wake up at 5 AM to deal with a bunch of drunk drivers, hand burners, leg scrapers in the ER. He can transition to being a FM doctor who works that 9-5.
That's a guess but plenty of em docs do that with urgent care and 2 less years of resodency

FM is not exactly easy. You can transition to urgent care really easily with EM. FM requires you to actively practice it you can't go and do FM after not practicing it for 20+ years. So if you do FM/EM you have to be Also you need to get an active patient base and see a lot patients if you haven't been practicing

Do you guys know of people acting as a hospitalist and EM doc?

That's a guess but plenty of em docs do that with urgent care and 2 less years of resodency
Urgent care does not give you the continuity of care the FM or IM would.