IM/EM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Richard

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question regarding the IM/EM dual residency. Is it possible to complete the specialty track internship for IM and then enter an IM/EM dual residency or are you stuck having to complete an IM residency? I'm worried that if I pursue the traditional rotating internship and don't match IM/EM that it will add an additional year onto the IM residency. I don't want to spend 4 years completing an IM residency that would ordinarily take 3 years with the specialty track internship. If I complete the internal medicine residency first with a specialty track internship, would that specialty track internship count towards an emergency medicine residency?

Why both specialties?
I have a unique opportunity to work with family upon completion of my training, however the practice arrangements necessitate my having completed either a FP/EM or IM/EM residency. Having only completed IM or EM would limit the scope of my practice since we have a ER contract and an urgent care facility.

RAM

Members don't see this ad.

There are 2 solutions for you:
FAMILY PRACTICE or FAMILY PRACTICE

FP physicians are capable to work in an urgent care center or ER with no trauma (provided these are competent FP with experience in emergency medicine)

If you are an internist, you may not be trained as broad of a knowledge as the FPs'.