1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

I'm freaking out!!!

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by Smellmax, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Smellmax

Pre-Medical
    So I just submitted my AMCAS a month ago, and I got to talking to some of my friends about my chances on getting into the schools that I applied for.
    I have a 3.9 cGPA/40P MCAT and just graduated from UCSD in June, majored in biochemical engineering. I graduated in only 3 years and amassed around 500+ hours volunteering at a hospital, was president of the school student body for my college, worked all 3 years in a pathology lab under an accomplished P.I. and got 2 papers authored, with 1 currently in review. I also TA-ed for a couple of different courses, 2 upper division biology courses and also for a humanities course. A couple of research institutes offered to pay for my grad school if I decided to get a PhD and come back to work with them, so I'm considering a MD/PhD program. I also was the valedictorian for my college, and traveled a bit to give talks with Ramachandran on my research on psychopathology.
    The thing I'm most concerned with is that unlike a number of other applicants from my school, I wasn't part of any pre-med fraternities and didn't have any particularly moving stories to put on my personal statements, besides losing my mother to pneumonia when I was in high school.
    I applied to the typical top tiered med schools, but I really want to get into University of Missouri because my parents will be relocating there next year.
    But a couple of postdocs in my lab told me that I'm looking at a 50/50 chance at being given a secondary there. Please, if you have any advice or words of wisdom, please lay it on me.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. sector9

Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Uh stop freaking out? You're fine. If your PS was terrible then maybe you should be worried, but I doubt that you will have any trouble getting in. How many schools did you apply to? Did you only apply to top tier?

Is this a troll thread?

4. leggo

Pre-Medical
    +1 to sector's second statement. I call troll

5. vin5cent0

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hard to fathom what kind of boring life you'd need to have to come on here, make an account, and write out that entire post for.. nothing?

6. SeminoleVesicle

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
  7. TriagePreMed

TriagePreMed Membership Revoked
    Removed 2+ Year Member

3.9/40/UCSD/Does research with Ramachandran?

Must be troll. Otherwise, this person should be asking if they go to Harvard, Hopkins, or go to England and study at Oxford. Every single school with a full ride of course.

8. HK35

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    obvious troll is obvious?

9. geeyouknit

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Curse you troll for spitting on our hopes and dreams.
    Psychopath research with Ramachandran at UCSD?
    Did you incept me or something?
    : )

#8 geeyouknit, Aug 8, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2011