1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

I'm going into myspace withdrawls

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by MirrorTodd, Jul 24, 2006.

1. MirrorTodd

MirrorTodd It's a gas.
    Physician 10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    I know that it has nothing to do with pre-med crap, but this myspace down stuff is killing me. I would literally lose my will to live if SDN went down as well. Of course, I might just go to sleep and wake up tomorrow morning to find it working. Oh well.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. OwnageMobile

OwnageMobile is just a moniker.
    10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    To an extent, I feel you. I like the constant communication--where seeing a new message is an extra piece of excitement for the day. I hope it's back up soon.

4. Lilah

Lilah Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

I never did understand why myspace.com is such a big deal.

5. MossPoh

MossPoh Textures intrigue me
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I recently cancelled myspace account..........besides another waste of time all it was doing was getting into trouble. My girlfriend didn't like seeing all these girls posting on my message board. I really don't get any of these social networking sites...but something about them is addictive. I still have a plain myspace account under a crap email to log into and look for bands though...aka the original purpose of myspace.

6. Sartre79

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    myspace was the most boring experience of my life.

7. Looque

Looque Bob Loblaw
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm not a MySpace user so it isn't bothering me, but out of curiosity, do you all have identifying information such as your names or anything else on your profiles that would allow a medical school to which you're applying find your account with a simple google search?

8. MossPoh

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Nope. I mean I didn't say anything stupid either way. I used it to meet a few people in the town I moved to, and to talk to some people in Berlin before I spent a bunch of time there. I wasn't a hardcore addict, didn't even put up a different wallpaper on my page or anything. I just checked every few days to see if I had a message and stuff. All it did was get me in trouble with my girl friend when a girl she percieved as a threat left a message.lol

9. I stopped using myspace the middle of my first undergrad year. It was time consuming. Maybe SDN is to, but I learn alot from it. Nevertheless SDN is not as time consuming as MySpace.

I have not logged in to facebook in almost a month.

10. Bubblehead-to-MD

Bubblehead-to-MD Emergency Blow!
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hehehe...what did you use? Salami, kielbasa, steak?

I know, it's immature, but too funny for me to pass up on! :laugh:

11. MossPoh

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    That is what a half year speaking another language does to you.......you screw up homonyms without even realizing it all the time.

12. govikings10

govikings10 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I've actually caught a few schools looking at my site (yes, i have a tracker that works and tells you how they got there.) Usually came from a nice simple google search. There's nothing bad on my site, just kinda interesting to know that they are looking at it.

13. dopaminesurge

dopaminesurge My friends calls me Steve
    5+ Year Member

I never did Myspace. Seemed too narcissistic (yes, I know: ironic considering, say, my hair poll) and without content. But I do have a facebook account I only recently started using. And I've had a livejournal since I was 16. I know, I know. But that thing's valuable - one day the site crashed, and I thought I'dl ost, like, 5 years worth of musings. I FREAKED. When it came back up, I took a whole afternoon to back it up.

14. Lilah

Lilah Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical schools have the time to snoop around an applicant’s myspace?
    I think that’s rather strange.

15. MirrorTodd

MirrorTodd It's a gas.

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    I thought this thread died? Anyway, myspace is fun to see all my high school friends and how they've changed. It's like an insight into evolution.

16. dopaminesurge

5+ Year Member

This is true, actually. A short while ago the prettiest girl from my high school died of Crohn's Disease (quite sad), and in the sentiment of remembering her, I came upon so many people I'd forgotten the $hit out of. It's nuts: some have kids already, some are married. Am I the only one who still feels like a teenager in that respect?

17. MirrorTodd

MirrorTodd It's a gas.

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    No I'm still a kid too. I even feel young when I'm around my younger brother and some of his friends too.

18. dopaminesurge

5+ Year Member

Haha. Not me. I've been spending time with my 15 y/o cousin recently. And her cute friends. And I feel two things:

1. Old
    2. Pedophilic.

Why are these 16-17 year old boys the hottest things alive?

19. MirrorTodd

MirrorTodd It's a gas.

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    Don't worry, I'm sure the guys feel the same way. "Excuse me ma'm, where do the high school girls hang out around here."

20. Lilah

Lilah Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

I have a hard time accepting that many of my friends are already married and have kids. I keep thinking we’re all too young, I mean high school was just 1...2...3...4…well maybe more than a couple years ago :laugh: but, still feels weird.

21. dopaminesurge

5+ Year Member

So true.

One day I'll just have to teach one of them the ropes. Actually, I think 16 is legal in Israel.

But will I ever respect myself again?

22. Genetics

Genetics Membership Revoked
    Removed

I made a MySpace account in July to see who I could find on that website that I went to high school with and I found about 55/200 high school mates on there (I canceled it after doing that). It was really sad seeing how fat a lot of them have come, how the cute ones have become ugly, and the ugly ones have become cute, and how some of the females are going to have skin cancer (you can already see the advanced aging process of the skin taking place on 3 of them), and how big of drunks so many of them have become, and the crappy jobs that some have.

A few of the females are already married and have kids (I graduated in 2000), some classmates have crappy jobs, and so many of them still live within 2 hours of home. Why so many of them rushed to get married and have kids at only 24 and 25 years of age is not really a smart thing to do. They should have tried to become something before getting boughed down with a family at such an early age.

It’s like these people are desperate for a social life or something. They put pictures of them completely drunk and only have way dressed and grouping over the other sex on that website.

After looking at the lives that so many of them now live, I have no attentions to go to a high school reunion because I already can see the life story of so many of them.

23. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper Duffman in Disguise
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I was thinking of starting a blogspot later on, but I doubt anyone would read it and it probably takes too much time.

However, I do fully intend to create a password-protected personal journal which I will release years from now. No joke...and I know journals are gay, but I don't care. :p
    -Dr. P.

24. RaaMD

RaaMD Caffeine Addict
    5+ Year Member

Hehe, I can relate to a lot of things you mentioned here. Saw the same thing when I joined MySpace.