I'm Having A Difficult Time Deciding Between The Air Force , Or College.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nvnme

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This situation has been bothering me nonstop over the summer. I've lurked these forums for a good year or two, and finally feel inclined to post after holding this dilemma in for what feels like an eternity. I'm an 19 year old graduate, two years removed from HS. I'm currently in the DEP Program for the Air Force. During my HS years, I admittedly joked around, never taking class too serious. I played basketball, and was ranked highly among my peers in my state and therefore was solely relying on my athleticism to carry me through high school and college. It did carry me through HS, until I blew out my knee in the beginning of my Senior year. With my basketball scholarship snatched, a 20 ACT, and an 2.9 GPA, there weren't any academic scholarships rolling in to say the least.

My dream job since I was an 8th grader if not playing basketball was being a physician. I'd always gotten by without doing much studying(if any) After graduation, I was severely depressed. My family lacked the funds to send me to college, and I was skeptical of taking out student loans. I opted to not attend CC and simply work for a year, more or less dwelling on what could have been. I lost all motivation simply because life threw me a curve ball, and I didn't know how to handle it. Earlier this year, around June, I joined the Air Force DEP.

As a member of the Air Force, my original plan was to do four years, study what I could while in Active Duty, and leave for college when my enlistment was up. I've thought about purchasing various Biology/Chemistry/Physics book, making use of the internet, and gradually learning what I could over 4 years. However, at this stage, and after doing a tremendous amount of soul searching, I have a desire to attend school as soon as I can. If I put it off, with me at 19, that would make me 24 starting college (if I'm lucky)

What I'm torn about, is if I should forgo the opportunity of the AF. Besides the obvious negatives(being killed, ext) are there any positives on putting something like a medical career on the back burner? The travel, GI Bill, & "real world" experience? I also understand that having prior military service on your list as an EC is helpful, but if I don't enjoy the AF lifestyle, needless to say it wouldn't be worth it. A lot can happen in four years, ranging from things that aren't necessarily bad, but could complicate the process; such as starting a family, to things that are clearly life threatening; such as stumbling on an IED while playing in the sand. Given that I'm positive this is the career I want, I'm not sure how my couple of years or so removed from HS will compare to my peers who more or less have the material fresh in their mind.

I think my biggest fear is running this by my mother, who, while supportive, may challenge me on this. I haven't taken anything such as Chemistry since my sophomore year of HS. Being a year removed puts me in an uncomfortable state, but I figure if I brush up on my math/science knowledge between now and next school year, I may be able to fare well in the Pre-Medical courses. I'm looking at Alabama in Tuscaloosa, but with this being the biggest decision of my life, I don't want to have any regrets. Would the four years of service do more harm than good in the long run? If so, what would be a realistic outcome as to how would I fare in the classroom after not having opened a textbook for the better part of two years?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This is coming from someone that might have been in a similar situation.

I kinda of messed up my first year in college due to being in a band, first time in a city alone, insert other dumb reason here......

So after about a year of university, I took a year off and started a band, played live venues, and got it out of my system. While I was doing this, I transferred to a 2 year college, and did horrible again.

Soon after, I meet a girl, she joins the army, and something inside me sparks. I decided to join the Army. Due to my great SAT score (old test, scored a 1510) I was allowed into the RT program in the Army even though it wasn't normal for a non prior service member to get a RT slot. I went to combat medic school first and served oversees, then to RT school without the pre-req courses. It was here where I learned how to study. That program had an attrition rate of 80%. I learned about myself, and heck, even my medical director at my work place says that my combat medic/rt experience in the Army will be great topics during interviews.

You also get money for college!! And honestly, you'll be going to basic in San Antonio, so no worries man. It'll be like a college experience. You can take classes while active, and honestly, not many AF went oversees with me... so not much to worry abut there either. Some jobs allow you to get a degree, I know for instance my RT counterparts in the AF get a AAS in Respiratory care. You also have the AF college, and access to most 4 year universities. You can get rid of all your non premed courses like Gov and Eng while in, and then buckle down on your science classes later. Just some more fyi, if you can get a RT slot or similar in the AF, and get stationed in San Antonio, you may be able to work at wilford hall medical center or BAMC. I worked at BAMC's Institute of surgical research, which happens to be one of the premier burn units in the world. I get to talk about this, and without the military, I'd be in the same position that most traditional students would be in, minus the young age. I learned bed side manner, and am a natural people person, so making friends with MD's and DO's was easy. Get into medical school while in the AF or AF reserves, and there are programs to have 100% of med school paid for with time in service paid back.

For the most part, I like being a non traditional student. I find it funny how now that I am starting again, everything is coming so easy for me. Chem, Physics, Bio, A&P, all easy, and I attribute it to learning how to study and finding myself in the Army. I am saving my GI bill for med school if I ever get in, so the money is nice also.

Just remembering, I was in the DEP program. I scored a 99 on the ASVAP, and has some crazy high scores. Little did I know that once you take the asvap, all recruiters in your area have that info. The AF and the Navy were knocking on my door, but I ended up choosing the Army for their medical program, since it was in San Antonio.

I suggest getting in the military, and choosing a medical job.
-RRT

Thanks for your response. I've sat on it and decided to go ahead and follow through with the AF. Really don't have much of a choice anyway seeing as how there's no way my mother can afford to send through college. My recruiter has already made it clear that I do run the risk of being deployed, but we'll see what happens. Since you're saving your GI bill, I assume you're using loans to pay for college? I've never thought about saving it for Medical School. I'll defintley take the advice about knocking out a few classes while I'm in, though. The Air Force is downsizing, so hopefully I get good news about an available job this week at the DEP call. Thanks, again.

Members don't see this ad :)
Choose the military because you choose the military. Choose the military because you think it will mature you. Choose it if you think hardship and annoyances are worth the GI Bill.

Do not choose the military as any kind of short cut into medicine. Do not choose the military if you like research, science, or hanging around people smarter than you.

There are plenty of unhappy military docs (and plenty of happy ones... I have an LOR from a 20 year DO Flight Surgeon).

Choose the military because you choose the military. Choose the military because you think it will mature you. Choose it if you think hardship and annoyances are worth the GI Bill.

Do not choose the military as any kind of short cut into medicine. Do not choose the military if you like research, science, or hanging around people smarter than you.

There are plenty of unhappy military docs (and plenty of happy ones... I have an LOR from a 20 year DO Flight Surgeon).

As for the bold, I don't really have much else. My passion is medicine at this point. I view this as just a detour. I'm sure there'll be much to learn and I'll enjoy the overall experience; just even more when it's time to get back in a classroom. I never planned on becoming a military doctor, though. One of my best friends father served as one decades ago, and when I discussed it with him a few years back, he come off as a little more than just disgruntled. I'm sure the four years will fly.

As for the bold, I don't really have much else. My passion is medicine at this point. I view this as just a detour. I'm sure there'll be much to learn and I'll enjoy the overall experience; just even more when it's time to get back in a classroom. I never planned on becoming a military doctor, though. One of my best friends father served as one decades ago, and when I discussed it with him a few years back, he come off as a little more than just disgruntled. I'm sure the four years will fly.

On another note. If they don't have the job you want, don't join. Looking back, I am glad I was hard headed about wanting a certain job. I walked away from MEPS 2 times. My recruiter was kinda upset, but I told him that I wouldn't join for anything less.

BTW, the military has a medical school as well.

On another note. If they don't have the job you want, don't join. Looking back, I am glad I was hard headed about wanting a certain job. I walked away from MEPS 2 times. My recruiter was kinda upset, but I told him that I wouldn't join for anything less.

BTW, the military has a medical school as well.

Trust me. Been there. Done that. Lol. At MEPS they attempted to coax me into taking Security Forces and a few other jobs no one really wanted. I was told due to the downsizing they're currently undergoing, if I didn't take one of the jobs that needed to be filled, or if I didn't simply say I was open for whatever, I could be sitting here for up to a year.

Unsurprisingly, most of the jobs I want are in the Health or Intel field. They also happen to be the ones filled to the brim. Nonetheless, I was able to select up to 10 at MEPS, and it's been almost four months. Hopefully I get good news Thursday. No matter how ready I am to get this started, you can be assured I won't be a Paratrooper in this lifetime. :laugh:

Trust me. Been there. Done that. Lol. At MEPS they attempted to coax me into taking Security Forces and a few other jobs no one really wanted. I was told due to the downsizing they're currently undergoing, if I didn't take one of the jobs that needed to be filled, or if I didn't simply say I was open for whatever, I could be sitting here for up to a year.

Unsurprisingly, most of the jobs I want are in the Health or Intel field. They also happen to be the ones filled to the brim. Nonetheless, I was able to select up to 10 at MEPS, and it's been almost four months. Hopefully I get good news Thursday. No matter how ready I am to get this started, you can be assured I won't be a Paratrooper in this lifetime. :laugh:

Hey now! I was a medic in a ranger battalion that earned his maroon Barrett.

Just pulling your leg though, I can honestly say that the one thought running through my head 5 minutes before my first jump was "why the hell would anyone want to jump out of this perfectly good airplane." Then when the plane opened up, and the shaking began, I started to wonder if it was safer jumping.

But I know what you mean. I was thinking of going back in, and they said that the only position open for prior service was special forces... No thank you. Minus the training, I hung around those guys enough for a life time.

Last edited:
I graduated high school in 2004, did 5 years in the Marine Corps, got out, started school, got accepted to med school, and now, I'm starting med school in 10 months. My friends who went into medicine were filling out their ERAS applications while I was filling out my AMCAS applications. Does that bother me? Perhaps.

But, here is what I got from the Marine Corps that my friends who went straight into the academic grind did not get:

• Travel abroad (and not just a "go study in Italy for a semester" type of thing)
  • Met my wife, got married (this is possible in school too, but college life is simply not as dynamic as military service)
  • Incredible self confidence, discipline, and perspective - sitting in air conditioning reading a biology book is considered "hard work" by many pre-meds... lol. It's a privilege.
  • Leadership experience
  • Social networking
The Air Force will teach you many, many things about life - much more than college alone can. You don't have to join the military, but you need to do something other than just grind out the pre-med checklist to be a good doctor when you graduate med school. The military is a great way to do that.

I graduated high school in 2004, did 5 years in the Marine Corps, got out, started school, got accepted to med school, and now, I'm starting med school in 10 months. My friends who went into medicine were filling out their ERAS applications while I was filling out my AMCAS applications. Does that bother me? Perhaps.

But, here is what I got from the Marine Corps that my friends who went straight into the academic grind did not get:

• Travel abroad (and not just a "go study in Italy for a semester" type of thing)
  • Met my wife, got married (this is possible in school too, but college life is simply not as dynamic as military service)
  • Incredible self confidence, discipline, and perspective - sitting in air conditioning reading a biology book is considered "hard work" by many pre-meds... lol. It's a privilege.
  • Leadership experience
  • Social networking
The Air Force will teach you many, many things about life - much more than college alone can. You don't have to join the military, but you need to do something other than just grind out the pre-med checklist to be a good doctor when you graduate med school. The military is a great way to do that.

^ THIS!

I remember reading a thread about family life and balancing being hard, and that, and I quote from my memory (cause I'm too lazy to look back), "if you aren't in med school, don't comment on how balancing time between studies and family might be easy or not". Talk to any prior service member that went over seas about balancing time. Give me 15 minutes with my family EVERY DAY vs what I went through for 2 tours any day.

I just feel the military gave me so much, and I quite frankly don't think I would have had what it takes to make it through pre-med without the military.

I just feel the military gave me so much, and I quite frankly don't think I would have had what it takes to make it through pre-med without the military.
yeah, I put a version of that in my personal statement in so many words. I feel the same way.

I have a coin my CO gave me, and it's been a nice reminder to look at from time to time.

to the OP, the military will give you what you put into it. Do your job well enough and long enough and people notice. It helped me cut my enlistment short 30 days so I could go to school....

I am currently Active Duty AF. It has been great. I have been able to see some pretty cool parts of the world and you meet some amazing people.

You will be doing things that will set you apart from just about every one else you will ever meet. Plus, I am sure having served your country and all the adventures that come along with that will make great interview conversation.

The educational benefits themselves are amazing. Many states have benefits beyond the GI bill that you can use to off set medical school.

My advice is this. Join the military but never loose sight of your dream. The Air Force will take from you every minute you give them. So don't be afraid to take something back and use the military to your benefit. When they offer you Tuition assistance to take classes USE IT. Use it for your own benefit. When you see stuff like "Self Aid buddy care instructor needed" jump on it because it can only help you.

In the end the military is really out to do a mission and you are a piece of equipment to get that mission done. You need to look after #1 and take care of your own needs. You play your cards right and in 4 years you could be sitting pretty with a ton of benefits.

Plus, it is a neat experience that a lot of people miss out on by going from HS->College->Med School->Life

I'm also AD AF. I've been in almost 9 years and it has forced me to grow as a person like no other job could. I have spent over half my career overseas (and not to nice places either) but I look at that time as opportunites to see what I'm really made of. I know what working long hours all the time is about. I know what studying all the time is like. I am a much better applicant now than I would have ever been as a 22 year old. I'm currently taking my prereqs(I took Chem 10 years ago and don't remember a thing) while still working full time so there is no reason you can't work on your Bachelor's while you are in. Also, when you get deployed there are a lot of opportunites to continue your education online. You would be surprised how accommodating professors can be when they know you are in Afghanistan. Try and get as much out of your time as you can - like everything in life "you get out what you put in". Good luck.

I am an Army vet. My husband is active duty still. I currently live in Europe and do my school online. (still finishing up undergrad and science reqs for med school) I wondered once if I should join the Army or not. I do not regret it because I met my husband and had a child, but those aside it can be very beneficial to you. It can also be hell. Just the truth.

Do YOU want it? If you don't want to be in the military you should not join. Something in you has to want it. The gi bill is nice. Not only do I have zero debt from my bachelors, I make money every term. (gi bill + grants + scholarships) I am able to pay for my books and lab materials without issue. Since I have to be an online student I am forced to purchase lab kits for classes and those can be very expensive. I still have left over $ after that.

If you fear that you lack the discipline and work ethic for med school then military service may do you some good. hehe :p

Ultimately I say follow your heart. Don't do what others say you SHOULD do. Go after what you want, it is your life.

Join the military as a 4N0. Pretty much a jack of all trades in the medical field. It really depends what base you get stationed at that will determine you're actual job. But either way you are guaranteed to be an EMT, 4 years of GREAT experience, and a way to pay for college when you get out. Take part-time college classes while you are in.

I wouldn't have done it any other way. It is how I pay my bills and live now (thanks GI Bill). If you want anymore advice on the 4N0 career field, don't hesitate to inbox me.