shadowlightfox

2+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Today was my first OMM lab, and each of us was assigned a lab partner. Today's topic was anatomical landmarks, and we were supposed to locate it on our partner.

I knew where all of them were on a skeleton, but it was really hard palpating to those corresponding regions on an actual person, and while I was able to find a good number of them, majority of them I had trouble finding, and it dampened my confidence. I'm worried that if I can't even locate landmarks right on a person, I'm screwed for the rest of the OMM year. I'm stressing out over this moreso than any of my other classes.

I don't know why I had a hard time when everyone else had a relatively easier time with this.

OP
shadowlightfox

shadowlightfox

2+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2015
Status
Medical Student
How do you know everyone else had an easier time? Step back and relax. This was your first OMM lab. You don't become a wizard overnight.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile
To be fair, everyone else left earlier than I did. I was one of the final people who left. Also, my partner had an easier time locating stuff on me than I did on him.

Not that I'm trying to argue or disagree with you. You brought up a good point. I didn't think about the fact that other people may have had a hard time, too. I guess I was too focused on myself and that was my mistake.

Jun 24, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Coming from experience, you do not need to be able to feel in order to pass (or get good grades) in OMM.
Unless it's something like palpating ASIS, PSIS, or spinal column, don't worry about it.

hallowmann

Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
You're fine. I didn't develop a good palpatory skill until maybe the end of second semester. Keep going to lab and trying, and at some point, you'll just find that you can actually feel things now.

Spikebd

7+ Year Member
May 2, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Today was my first OMM lab, and each of us was assigned a lab partner. Today's topic was anatomical landmarks, and we were supposed to locate it on our partner.

I knew where all of them were on a skeleton, but it was really hard palpating to those corresponding regions on an actual person, and while I was able to find a good number of them, majority of them I had trouble finding, and it dampened my confidence. I'm worried that if I can't even locate landmarks right on a person, I'm screwed for the rest of the OMM year. I'm stressing out over this moreso than any of my other classes.

I don't know why I had a hard time when everyone else had a relatively easier time with this.
You'll get there man. A lot of people have good improv skills and act confident despite not knowing what they're doing. Keep working at it.

Reactions: racerwad

GreyWarden

2+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2016
Don't stress too hard. Your palpatory skills will increase as you spend more and more time in the lab. What helped me the most was anatomy lab and my dissections. It was easier to visualize where the land marks are and now I don't even think twice about where something is.

JustPlainBill

Attending
10+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
Agree with all of the above --- quit stressing so much -- it's your first OMM lab --- if you've got a "well upholstered" partner, they'll be a little more difficult to find, likewise with a wellmuscled partner --- just chill, the only real landmarks I remember were things like the AC joint, PSIS, ASIS, tip of the sacrum, medial/lateral malleolus, etc. --- the rest of that stuff is really subjective to a certain degree -- I still can't tell you whether a sacral base is forward or backward with 100% certainty ---

it'll come with time --- and if it doesn't most of the times, there's no stress about it -- it's hard to get two examiners to agree on findings, much less 2 students -- you're good.

Reactions: FourniersGreenGang
W

wxman393

Wait until you have to find landmarks during gross anatomy dissection.....

Rekt

2+ Year Member
May 29, 2015
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Just pretend. Then, during your practical, gaze into your proctors eyes with confidence and say "Here it is" or finish a treatment with confidence.

When they tell you you're wrong, just say that faculty member X taught it to me this way.

Boom 100%

OP
shadowlightfox

shadowlightfox

2+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Thanks guys. I guess I overreacted. I'll keep practicing and hopefully I get better. The fact that only some of the landmarks are of vital importance makes me feel somewhat better.

Reactions: bon22

ananasmed

5+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I had trouble finding the landmarks on my first day of OMM, too. You'll be fine. Come to terms with the fact that some things will be more difficult for you than for your classmates, and vice versa (also half of them will be BSing you about how everything is obviously super easy for them). It helped me to try to find the more obvious landmarks on myself so I had a better idea of where to poke around on my partner. This part *will* become much more intuitive over time.

AlbinoHawk DO

An Osteopath
5+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2013
Status
Non-Student

You mean you didn't notice when everyone was faking that they felt what the teacher said?

Reactions: ortnakas
Feb 11, 2015
Arizona
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
i enjoy OMM, decide for yourself if you like it don't think you are cool if you don't use it or learn it

DocWinter

Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Give it a year. For sure don't start freaking out about the grade or passing, you should be able do fine 1st semester just learning where things are. You'll acquire palpation skills but will not be harshly graded on it to start

Reactions: 37Base

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I've seen them get billed for opiods for chronic pain, which is even worse. So if that's the case then it's not consistently applied.
Well we've only recently seen a change in the standard of care, switching to higher dose NSAIDS and less for opioids. But that being said opioids are proven via studies to provide relief. A lot of OMT we learn hasn't been.

Reactions: IslandStyle808

Jinxapotato

2+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2015
Status
Medical Student
My first day of OMM made me felt that I am going to fail that class, but actually we all did pretty good on it. It'll come to you after a week or two of rubbing and poking.

Reactions: shadowlightfox

ortnakas

DO PGY-2
5+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Is it okay to cram for OPP exams?
This is probably school-specific but generally yes.
I suggest actually studying for your first one. After you take it, you'll know how much (or how little) you need to do for future exams.

OP
shadowlightfox

shadowlightfox

2+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2015
Status
Medical Student
My first day of OMM made me felt that I am going to fail that class, but actually we all did pretty good on it. It'll come to you after a week or two of rubbing and poking.
Yeah just gotta keep working on my poking skills and hope I improve.

jw3600

5+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2013
Status
Don't sweat it.......just fake your way through it. Most D.O.'s NEVER use OMM once they are done with residency anyway. I know I haven't for over 20 years....
You're a DO?? I love it. Yeah OMM is absolute crap. Faked it for 2+ years now. Straight A's in OMM and no issues on COMLEX. Focus on actually reproducible science that people actually respect and can utilize.

NontradCA

American Hero
7+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2012
Trump Tower
Status
Medical Student
Half the **** is made up, so just fake your way through it until the last day.

Reactions: shadowlightfox

NontradCA

American Hero
7+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2012
Trump Tower
Status
Medical Student
What's shocking? I'm a D.O. anesthesiologist and a damn good one at that.
Because you're not very holistic. Everyone thought you were an MD.

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Medical Student
LOL. And you know this how? This is either a sarcastic post or just the prototypical DO delusion.
I struggle to believe many things, that cranial bones move, that nontradca can be any more clearly sarcastic, and that you're for real.

Reactions: jw3600