Im in a Dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docss26

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I am going to be a 3rd yr undergaduate student starting this fall. My gpa is a 3.0 and I dont think I will stand a chance getting into medical school in the states. I know I can work hard and what not but the cost of medical school in the states is really expensive. My dad gave me a proposition to going to medical school in pakistan which is a fraction of the cost of US med schools. I just dont know the benefits or difficulties of going to school overseas. I am a pakistani american, however do I do not speak the language fluently.

I pretty much would justl ike some insight from any medical students in pakistan or overseas in general. I want to know what are the chances of completing medical school overseas and getting placement into residency in the US, or how the US feels about foreign medical school graduates. Thank you all for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

you can get tons of information about FMG (foreign medical graduates) from the forum.

for starters, it does help that you are a US citizen when returning to the US. I think the decision to go abroad depends on what you would like to do as a medical doctor, i.e. your specialty of choice, and whether you would enjoy being a student in pakistan.
you will need to do reasonably well on the USLMEs and also gain clinical experience in the US to be a competitive candidate.
i don't think your GPA is that detrimental for schools in the Caribean.
You have many other options too, i.e. get a masters degree, do very well in school now and boost your grades and/or do very well on the MCAT.

sooner or later you will have to bite the bullet and study hard for tests in order to prove your worth to medical schools. being a US medical student will help you getting into residency in the US, but many a FMG have succeded in crossing back to the US.
if you think pakistan will be easier or if it is a guarantee "in", then it is up to you. many people who study abroad are doing it for the experience and because they really want to, inspite of the difficulties faced later on if one wishes to return to the US.

so, it is up to you. bottom line is, you do have chances of going away and returning to the US (at least I am so led to believe).

sumina
------------------------------------
starting medicine at Glasgow, Scotland, UK, 2007.