To and Fro
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2001
TX
Visit site
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Here is basically what has happened in a nutshell...

I graduated from school in May 2004 w/ about 3.5 GPA, 24 MCAT, of course had some to improve on...

Took one graduate course (4 hrs) and 2 more courses at a community college (8 hrs) during fall of 2004 to stay on my fathers medical insurance. Had a seizure and had to sit out the rest of the semester BUT stupidly did not drop the courses due to the fact that i needed the insurance. Ended up with three F's.

Now taking more classes at community college for credits and making up GPA (maybe). Have applied to med school twice and rejected twice PRIOR to these incidents.

Will a post-baccelaurette school accept me? I'm so confused and upset. please help!!

Crake

I drive a Dodge Stratus!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2004
RI
Status
Pre-Medical
Convince the school that you were so medically disabled that you weren't able to drop the course. This will be fairly easy if you were hospitalized for a long period of time. Otherwise, get a letter from a physician who treated you; I think if you explain the situation to your primary care giver, he or she will help you out. If all else fails, consult an attorney. If your medical condition disabled you, the school has no right to hold it against you. Afterall, they wouldn't hold it against you if you were in a coma. If your seizure disorder made it impossible to attend class, and/or you were hospitalized and unable to formally withdraw, you should assert yourself.

Blue Scrub

The Gift & The Curse
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Status
Crake said:
Convince the school that you were so medically disabled that you weren't able to drop the course. This will be fairly easy if you were hospitalized for a long period of time. Otherwise, get a letter from a physician who treated you; I think if you explain the situation to your primary care giver, he or she will help you out. If all else fails, consult an attorney. If your medical condition disabled you, the school has no right to hold it against you. Afterall, they wouldn't hold it against you if you were in a coma. If your seizure disorder made it impossible to attend class, and/or you were hospitalized and unable to formally withdraw, you should assert yourself.
Yeah I would def get some proof from your hospital and/or doctors that treated you, and perhaps you can convince the school to change those F's to W's...that's something easy to forget, and especially if you're being medically treated...in your case, a post-bacc may help, although those 3 F's are most likely seriously going to hinder your app if you apply to med school....try like hell to get those changed if possible

I drive a Dodge Stratus! :laugh: :laugh: funny one Crake

OP
S

Sparkles

To and Fro
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2001
TX
Visit site
Status
Of course I am going to try.... Has anyone ever done this??

OP
S

Sparkles

To and Fro
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2001
TX
Visit site
Status
I'm on the verge of tears.... For God's sake please help me!!!

I'm in deep S*** if this doesn't work!

Psycho Doctor

*** Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2004
Status
Medical Student
Sparkles said:

Calm down; i know it sounds like the end of the world, but really it's not.

i agree with what the other posters already said. I assume your hospitalization can be proven and that your MD will verify all you have said. Any reasonable dean of sudent affairs will intercept on your behalf. There's no reason that shouldn't be wiped off your record. The school wants your money for the courses so they have it, just get it wiped off your record.

Worse comes to worse, you need to explain it on your med school applications. Most have a place to explain any poor grades. A serious illness is perfectly understandable for a poor smester; make sure med schools realize why it happened. Best of luck.

CopperButterfly

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2004
Status
Sparkles,

I am sure that your school administration may allow you to change your F's. But you must act now. As stated previously you should have a physician document your illness and try to change your F's into incompletes or withdrawals. Try contacting your professors and explain the situation. If it cannot be resolved then you can always explain your situation to post bacc programs. Take a deep breath and realize that you are very lucky to have overcome your illness. I had two withdrawals and an incomplete on my transcript and was just accpeted to three med schools. It is possible , but you must be proactive.

CaliforniaBound

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2005
Status
Sparkles said:

You can still get into med school! Here's the deal....first off...get those off your record...someway or somehow those have to be gone. Second of all...your stats for g.p.a and mcat are lower but still can be doable. Have you done the mcat more than once? if not you might want to consider doing that. i'm living proof that someone with a low score on the mcat can get into med school...and when i say low i don't mean 30 :p i mean low! if possible show that you can turn bad situations into good ones. i would stay out a year...really beef up your extracurricular experience...redo the mcat and prove that you can handle the rigors of med school. i would get your doctor to write a letter stating you medical condition so that the adcoms can understand what happened. Start doing research on schools that are not "number whores" and ones who focus more on the whole person and extracurriculars. Research D.O. schools and maybe shadow a D.O. to discover if that might be an option for you. Comprise a list of objectives that you need to accomplish in order to beef up your application. You CAN do this...you just have to put you nose to the grindstone and prove it! Start with getting those F's off of your record and then start the upward climb from there! :)

OP
S

Sparkles

To and Fro
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2001
TX
Visit site
Status
Well the graduate class especially needs to go..... That is the class that it happened in.

It was the middle of September, I had a seizure right in the MIDDLE OF CLASS.... taken by ambulance to the ER. Was NOT hospitalized but was also told not to drive a car for 6 months (its been about 6 months now). I never returned to the school. I pretty much just let it go... At the time i thought the deadline to drop had passed and whatever... I don't know what I was thinking.

Any other help? :(

Psycho Doctor

*** Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2004
Status
Medical Student
Sparkles said:
more importantly... WHO do i talk to???
get a copy of all your medical records, including your MD's note that you can't drive. (however not being able to drive does not preclude you from taking a cab to school or from picking up the phone to drop the courses.)

talk to the prof in the class that you had the seizure and have him/her write a letter attesting to it.

go to the dean of academic affairs or your advisor, depending on how your school is set up. See if he/she will allow you to have "w"s instead of F's or better yet just to wipe away the semester.

If necessary talk to each of your professors individually to change your grades.

best of luck

xadmin

15+ Year Member
Oct 3, 2003
Visit site
Status
Sparkles said:
Here is basically what has happened in a nutshell...

I graduated from school in May 2004 w/ about 3.5 GPA, 24 MCAT, of course had some to improve on...

Took one graduate course (4 hrs) and 2 more courses at a community college (8 hrs) during fall of 2004 to stay on my fathers medical insurance. Had a seizure and had to sit out the rest of the semester BUT stupidly did not drop the courses due to the fact that i needed the insurance. Ended up with three F's.

Now taking more classes at community college for credits and making up GPA (maybe). Have applied to med school twice and rejected twice PRIOR to these incidents.

Will a post-baccelaurette school accept me? I'm so confused and upset. please help!!
Talk to the school. If they can't remove it, then don't worry about it. 3 Fs in 1 semester is nothing. Explain it to the med school you are applying to or a post bacc. Hell, my sister got 6 Fs and she still ended up at Stanford Medical School. You are blowing this out of porportion.

liverotcod

Lieutenant Crunch
15+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2003
Status
Attending Physician
Sparkles said:
Here Had a seizure and had to sit out the rest of the semester BUT stupidly did not drop the courses due to the fact that i needed the insurance.
You'll have to be careful about how you say this, because it smacks of fraud. I assume that because you had two previous unsuccessful application cycles, that you were intending additional post-bacc work anyway, and I don't see how this temporary setback will prevent you from doing that. I would suggest a special masters program, and then a broad application to MD and DO schools.

red dot

burning, burning
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
chicago
Status
Medical Student
xadmin said:
Talk to the school. If they can't remove it, then don't worry about it. 3 Fs in 1 semester is nothing. Explain it to the med school you are applying to or a post bacc. Hell, my sister got 6 Fs and she still ended up at Stanford Medical School. You are blowing this out of porportion.
How'd she pull that? I mean... that's awesome, considering I have an F on my transcript too.

Crete

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2005
Status
If you have a doctor's note, you'll be surprised at how accomodating a professor can be. E-mail to schedule an appointment to talk about your grade, and be honest. If that doesn't work, talking to the dean will probably work; they don't want to open themselves up to litigation (don't threaten this by the way). Do you have any research experience? If not a post-bac, you might want to buckle down and get a masters, it couldn't hurt. Also, post-bacs tend to accept people with troubled grades, right? There has to be one in the U.S. you wouldn't mind attending?

Blue Scrub

The Gift & The Curse
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Status
Crete brings up a good point, maybe you could try and get in touch with each of the profs where you got your F's, in addition to talking with the Dean...Im sure with the proof, the Dean will be on your side, and hopefully he can work out a solution with the profs or something....dont worry Sparkles, im sure it will work out...try anything you can and dont give up!!

papertools2003

10+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2005
Status
most schools have a post quarter (post semester) drop. it is rarely mentioned, nor is it a happy thing to process, but if indeed your medical situation (with hospital documentation) prevented attendence (even for administrative purposes) the dean will issue the drop. However, you will have a record on your transcript that is instead of the F you will receive W. i hope this helps