IM in CA with lackluster clinical grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

softball2344

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Take this with a grain of salt since I'm also applying this year but I think you will be fine as long as you aren't aiming for the top programs (UCLA, UCSF, Stanford , etc) . You might get IVs at UCSD, Davis , USC and I think you should be more than competitive for the mid/lower- tiers like UCI, Scripps, Harbor/ OV, Kaiser. There are so many IM programs in CA. Every one of my friends in the year above me who wanted to go back to CA did .
Just focus on doing as well as you can in your sub-I and definitely get a letter of rec from here (very important, especially for this year).

After going through your experience, do you have any advice for someone who also tends to keep quiet, not often the first one to volunteer to speak, and may sometimes lack confidence? I might be wrong but from what I've read, it seems like clinical grades really depend on how you present yourself. This is what makes me question whether I will do well in clerkships.

Thanks for the reassurance - can I ask if you are from a top school? I would be thrilled to end up somewhere like USC, UCI or Scripps Green. Do not expect/ care about any interviews from top tiers.

No i'm not! Maybe like T40 at most

Reactions: 1 user