SunflowerRae

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 1, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
I'm from CA, in Dental School in Michigan, and will probably move to northern California when done. I am trying to figure out what tests and loops we have to jump thru to actually be licensed to practice. No one has said what tests I need to take and being in Michigan I am not sure I am getting all the information I need to go back to California. Do I need to take the NBDE? What should I know about the WREB coming from a non-WREB dental school?

Could someone give me the step by step breakdown? Something like this...

1. Get into Dental School (done! YAY!)
2. Take NBDE part 1 .... RECOMMEND when to take it too please!
3. Take NBDE part 2 ... RECOMMEND when to take it too please!
4. Take WREB .. RECOMMEND when to take it too please!
5. ...other exams???
6. ... other stuff I have no idea ...
7. ... etc....

THANKS FOR ALL YOU HELP IN ADVANCE!

Rezdawg

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 29, 2003
Houston
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
Every school is different regarding when to take NBDE part I...some do it after 1st year, some during 2nd year, and some after 2nd year. Do it when everyone in your class does it.

Take NBDE part II some time during your 4th year. Usually up to you when you want to take it.

You also take the WREB during the spring of your 4th year.

SunflowerRae

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 1, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Thanks, Are there any recent DS grads who moved back to California who could shed some light?

Hysteria24

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2002
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I am a CA resident who seriously considered UMich last year so I had looked into this situation.

You would basically take NBDE pat I and II with the rest of your class (whenever they all take it). This is mandatory for all students. UMich students take part I at the end of their second year, and part II later on during school. The rest of your Michigan classmates will be taking the NERB (North East Regional Board) during the 4th year so they could practice in the North East. This is optional for you since it will not do anything to help you practice in CA.

In order to practice in CA you have a few options:

1. Take the WREB or CA board exam right after you graduate. The WREB is supposedly easier and will qualify you to work in more western states other than CA. The WREB can also can done back in CA or at any other location where they administer it. When I was looking, the closest I found was at Case in Cleveland.
http://www.wreb.org/

2. Do a 1 year AEGD or GPR after graduation. This can be done in any state, and after that 1 year you will be eligible to work in CA.
http://www.dbc.ca.gov/applicants/lic_by_residency.shtml

3. Work ~5 years as a dentist in any state and then you can use that to qualify to work in CA.
http://www.dbc.ca.gov/applicants/lic_by_cred.shtml

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.