I'm in my 4th year and still don't know what I want to do

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tejas

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's me. Anyone else out there in the same boat? I am not totally sure what all my options are at this point in the process. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome to my world. The best advice that I have received is to eliminate those specialities that you know that you don't want to do for the next 3-5 years.

Then look past residency and find what you found most palatable during rotations (looking at it through the eyes of your attendings) and go from there.

Members don't see this ad :)
What rotations have you enjoyed thus far? Start big and think about if you'd rather go the sugery route or medicine route?

Do you like mostly inpatient or outpatient settings? Shift work an interest for you?

You could always do the intern 1 year deal if you're still undecided in a month or so. Or internal medicine since it has so many fields to specialize in. A lot of docs I know did that and moved into a specialty when they decided that's what they liked. A few others I know went into radiology since they hated IM, lol (one after PGY1 and the other did it 3 years after being an internist).

I guess I have only very mildly enjoyed any one rotation at this point. I know more about what I don't like than what I do like really. Everytime I get fixed on one field I try it out and never really enjoy it as much as I had hoped I would. Maybe I am just expecting too much. I don't know. I was hoping there would be something I felt passionate about or one area that I at least really looked forward to going to in the morning.

I enjoy inpatient much more, but I can handle clinic from time to time. I don't really want to be in clinic all day every day. Shift work, I could go either way with although ultimatly, I want to make my own schedule. I know I am not gonna take the surgery route at this point.

My question is not really "what field do you think I should go into?" (I have already realized that its not gonna hit me like a ton of bricks) rather, what are my options in terms of applying for a spot in some field at this point? What pathways can I take to give me more time to discover what best fits me (without extending my time in training/education)? Your responses have been helpful.

Soooooooooooooooo. I'm still not sure what you're asking. You're not asking what speciality you should go into...just what speciality you should apply to?

Judging by the whole inpatient thing, no surgery, little bit of everything...sounds like maybe just apply internal med and see where it takes you. Short residency with lots of fellowship options.

IM is a good option.

Ever think about EM?

Do a rotating internship year?

i was like that last year. i think there's quite a few people who feel that way. not sure what to tell you. i did it the way most people do, rule out all the ones you don't like then out of the ones you thought were ok pickone that you thought you would enjoy for a long time or at least allow you some variability in choices once you finish residency

Yeah, that's me. Anyone else out there in the same boat? I am not totally sure what all my options are at this point in the process. Any thoughts or suggestions?

You could try to get into a Transitional Year PGY-1 (these can be pretty competitive) and do some elective rotations in things that you want to explore. Georgetown's Transitional Year is an awesome and very strong PGY-1 year with a PD that generally signs off on most electives. Do your electives early and be prepared to go back into the match the next year in what you decide to do.

If you have no idea, I agree with the others that a Transitional Year (if you have great stats) or medicine prelim (if you have ok stats) is probably your best bet. If you're lucky you may end up deciding on a field that the internship year will count for and won't have wasted any time.
Honestly, if you just don't like anything all that much, maybe the best thing you can do is to identify a lifestyle field that you are competitive for and can tolerate (less hours spent working in something you don't like that much) or something with a lot of flexibility so you have more options in trying to find a style of practice that you like.

Reading through your posts, I would suggest quitting medicine altogether. Most people like most things enough to do them, and that is why the decision is difficult.

You seem to dislike everything in medicine equally. It isn't going to to get any easier or sexier in the long-run.

Reading through your posts, I would suggest quitting medicine altogether. Most people like most things enough to do them, and that is why the decision is difficult.

Most people have >$200,000 in debt and can't afford to change careers.

I enjoy medicine in gerneral. In fact, I can't imagine myself in any other career. I actually feel like I am not too bad at it either and have done well through out these 3.5 years. Thanks for all the thoughts to this point.
I beleive I will apply to some transitional year spots.
Is it terrible to apply to some categorical IM spots knowing that I may very well apply to another program for PGY2? The only reason I would do this is because of the potential that I might decide to go into something like GI or Cardiology.
As far as the rest of my 4th year, would it would be best to rotate at some programs in various feilds?

Last edited: