I'm in, now what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fishnchips

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was accepted to Hershey today and they want me to confirm my acceptance within 2 weeks (although the deposit isn't due until May). While I do like the program I'm still holding out for other schools although I don't want to just throw my ticket to med school away. Is it really frowned upon to accept and then withdraw if something better comes along? Or is it a binding contract? Please help!

Members don't see this ad.

fishnchips said:
I was accepted to Hershey today and they want me to confirm my acceptance within 2 weeks (although the deposit isn't due until May). While I do like the program I'm still holding out for other schools although I don't want to just throw my ticket to med school away. Is it really frowned upon to accept and then withdraw if something better comes along? Or is it a binding contract? Please help!

No, no no.... It's just to hold your spot. Everyone knows down the line you might withdraw. You are SUPPOSED to hold the spot there. You can let it go when you get other acceptances, no penalty.

fishnchips said:

Congrats, Fishnchips! When did you interview?

Like the previous poster said, you can send it deposit for every school. I think most return your money when you withdraw.

Members don't see this ad :)
congrats!

:clap:

as I'm sure will be explained ad nauseum between now and then, you can hold multiple acceptances (with multiple depo$its) until May 15th ... then you have to pick one acceptance, but you can still be on waitlists.

u can accept as many acceptances as you want. then when may 15th hits (assuming nothing's changed), you have to drop down to one acceptance at any one time. u get a new one u want, then drop the old one.

I'm glad fishnchips posted this questions...b/c I too am unsure! I received my first (of, I hope, a few) acceptances. Maybe my pre-med advisors were very uninformed, but they have told me once you accept an offer (and pay the fee to hold your place), you won't receive any more acceptance letters.

You all seem to know the opposite is true. Could you direct me to some literature on this issue? I don't remember it being addressed in MSAR. And I don't want to screw this up...

gfunk said:
I'm glad fishnchips posted this questions...b/c I too am unsure! I received my first (of, I hope, a few) acceptances. Maybe my pre-med advisors were very uninformed, but they have told me once you accept an offer (and pay the fee to hold your place), you won't receive any more acceptance letters.

You all seem to know the opposite is true. Could you direct me to some literature on this issue? I don't remember it being addressed in MSAR. And I don't want to screw this up...

aamcor amcas site should have it somewhere.

gfunk said:

Well, many people will direct you to the correct places regarding this. In any case you can hold as many acceptances as you want, as everybody else said. I also have direct evidence: I paid my deposit to hold my slot at Jefferson and was accepted at Drexel a few weeks later :)

It's just after May 15 that you can't have more than one acceptance. But even then you can hold on to waitlist spots, and if you get in from a waitlist to a school you prefer to the one you're holding the acceptance to, you can go ahead and change. The whole process is really very flexible.

Now what? I suggest a party that would make Caligula stop, turn, look and say "What are you people doing? Don't you think you're taking it too far?"

put your deposit down...and relax...you're at least in somewhere...maybe you'll be one of the fortunate and have multiple acceptances to choose from.