IM in NYC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soma

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I'm starting to look into residency programs and would appreciate any feedback regarding IM programs in NYC. As of now, I'd most likely be interested in Columbia and Cornell. My main concerns are breadth of cases and learning experience, placement into fellowship programs, and atmosphere (camaradarie, life outside of residency). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

While interviewing in NYC, I was told by the people I met on the interview trail that Columbia-Presbyterian is considered the most prestigious program in NYC, followed by Cornell-Presybterian, Mount Sinai and NYU. Second-teir programs include Beth Israel, Jacobi and SUNY Downstate, but these are much more popular amongst IMGs.

Keep in mind this is second-hand information, though.

Soma, I am a 3rd year currently and am in the same boat as you. I am interested in IM and am only looking in NYC/NJ for positions. I have accumulated a lot of second hand info from friends and would love to compare notes with you. E-mail me privately and we can discuss. [email protected]

Ranking the NY Im programs taking into account prestige, competitiveness for fellowship, education and housestaff treatment is as follows:

1. NYU
2. Columbia
3. Cornell
4. Montefiore
5. Mount Sinai

If research is important to you- bump Columbia up to #1