IM in West Palm Beach

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sgpath

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any info about the new IM program in West Palm Beach, FL?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

No, I don't.
One thing you might want to consider if you are thinking of staying in Florida after residency is that malpractice insurance is very, very high in some areas. Miami-Dade county had a rate of $50,000/year for malpractice insurance for IM last year, as reported recently by the AMA in American Medical News, a newspaper they send out. The rate for OB/gyn in that same county was I think $240,000 or something like that...
not sure what it would be in the area/place you are thinking of doing residency.

that is an issue in fl, but i am sure i want to practice in the area. im more concerned about future fellowship prospects when coming from a new, unknown program such as this.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't go to a new, community-type program for IM if you want to do fellowship. That is playing with fire. If there is some affiliation with the U of Florida or some other hospital system that has fellowships, that probably would help, but I still wouldn't recommend going there. Of course, some people have family/geographic/other constraints and in that case there may be no choice.

Well I interviewed there and found it good. Though the impression is SERIOUSLY confounded by the location; you just can't beat it. Plus they provide heavy [ comparatively] salaries [ around 47k for 1st year] which might make your stay a bit cush. Though the PD told us that they are opening fellows [ all major fellows cards/GI/Pulmcc/etc. don't know abt others, but he assured me they are trying their best].

Technically this is a new uni program since they have Florida Atlantic University's medschool behind them and the Uni Miami Miller School of Medicine's affiliation to FAU. Since fellows are my primary concern, I raised the issue during my iv with the pd and he gave assurance that their fellowship accreditions are well in line with the projected opening dates [ circa 2010/11 ] and that by the time our batch graduates, they certainly would have them. In responce to my obvious next "What if that doesn't happen " query, he assured that they are personally dedicated to put their grads in good fellows since this would be necessary to establish a good reputation for the program.

Considering all these, I still am a bit weary to put it on the top of my considerably short list [ as I mentioned the location sometimes is too tempting], since I still have an established uni program, at a not so good location, on the top. As dragonfly has mentioned, fellowships chances might be a hit and miss coming from a new program, despite of all the sincere assurances from the program tops. Still, I'd not regret if I came down on my ROL and ended up in Palm beach!

Any other info from anyone would be enlightening.

thanks for the reply! my thoughts r exactly as urs. love the location. program seems fine, but fellowship prospects r totally up in there. how about the idea of going rads or optho or something down the line...

lemme rephrase that, what i meant was if u were competitive for rads coming out of med school, is it still a viable option for u after this im program, if u decide that is what u want?