I'm interested in becoming a radiologist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gooberjelly

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm currently finishing up my associates as a general rad tech, I know I need a bachelor degree to apply to med school. My long term goal is to go to med school and apply for residency in radiology. I'm wondering what bachelor degree would help increase my knowledge with medicine and healthcare that goes along with my current associates degree.

So far I've gathered that once I finish up my associates this summer I will need 2 more years for my bachelors, apply for med school, finish it(4 years), 1 year of internship and 4 years of radiology residency, 2 years of fellowship if I want to specialize. I turn 23 this summer which means I'll be 25 when If I get in med school as early as I can, be 29 if I finish on time, 36 or even older when I finish fellowship. won't I be too old by then?

Sorry for the wall of texts, basically I want to know what route is the most efficient and fastest. Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

You're doing a good job by thinking out your timeline in advance, but I think it's going to take you more than 2 more years to get into medical school. You do need to get a bachelors degree before applying to most school, but also important is that you finish the prerequisites. You need 1 year of general chemistry, 1 year of organic chemistry, 1 year of biology, and 1 year of physics. In addition to this some schools require a math class or statistics. After you take these classes you need to study for the MCAT. The MCAT is a very important test that will determine if medical schools will accept you. Ideally throughout all this you will keep a GPA > 3.6. Then you have to apply to medical school.

You are still very young and have enough time to do what you like. Go for it. Don't think about 2-3 years less or more. If you decide on doing something, respect your decision and give yourself enough time and chance.

Radiology is a great field, the best one in medicine, IMO. However, I personally recommend you to start medical school without any bias, explore different fields and find your true interest.

Good Luck.

Thank you guys for the quick responses. I will definitely explore my options in other medical fields since I have time before I worry about applying for med school.