varn1x

2+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2015
I’m a medical student, and I’m planning to apply for IM residency.
I have a passion for international traveling, and I have 2 questions.

1- Are there any IM (or any of its subspecialties) jobs out there that allow like 3 months off (preferably consecutive) each year? Of course I will be willing to take the pay cut.

2- If I ever decide to do locums, would a few months gap between jobs be a problem in my CV when I apply for another job?

Last edited:

jdh71

Grim Optimist.
10+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2006
Last House on the Block, USA
Status
Attending Physician
You can try to negotiate whatever work you want in a contract. But most places will probably not want a physician gone three months at a time. You might be able to work something out as a hospitalist.

Explained gaps don’t have to be a problem if they are explained. Yeah? Still long regular gaps in work will signal you won’t have great reflexes when you show up.

OP
V

varn1x

2+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2015
You can try to negotiate whatever work you want in a contract. But most places will probably not want a physician gone three months at a time. You might be able to work something out as a hospitalist.

Explained gaps don’t have to be a problem if they are explained. Yeah? Still long regular gaps in work will signal you won’t have great reflexes when you show up.
The 3 months don’t have to be consecutive, it was just a preference.
I understand most jobs don’t want a doctor taking that much time off. That’s why I was thinking of the locum route. Is it feasible to set up a locum schedule that allows me to take that much time off?

jdh71

Grim Optimist.
10+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2006
Last House on the Block, USA
Status
Attending Physician
I understand most jobs don’t want a doctor taking that much time off. That’s why I was thinking of the locum route. Is it feasible to set up a locum schedule that allows me to take that much time off?
Probably a month at a time locums? I think pretty easy.

Even a month off in a subspecialty gets dicey because you have out patients to see, follow, and manage.

You could probably arrange that much time off in monthlong blocks as a hospitalist or Intensivist

rokshana

15+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Yes...you don’t get paid, but you can do whatever you want in terms of where you work and when you work, etc.

rokshana

15+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Probably a month at a time locums? I think pretty easy.

Even a month off in a subspecialty gets dicey because you have out patients to see, follow, and manage.

You could probably arrange that much time off in monthlong blocks as a hospitalist or Intensivist
As locums you can just not take an assignment...do 3-4 months, then space out the next assignment to start 3-4 months later.

I took 2 months off to study for boards.

shemer77

5+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2013
Status
You can negotiate this into your contract. Someplaces wont accomdate but i think most would be willing to