Im looking for a med school biography-book search-

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

metalhead1023

High School Student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok guys I want to read a biography of how someone went through medical school. Preferably through their undergrad on through residency, do any of you guys know what book follows this criteria?

Members don't see this ad.

Intern: A Doctor's Initiation By Sandeep Jauhaur (Read)
Becoming A Doctor By Melvin Konner (Reading Now)
There's another written by a woman doctor about her years at Harvard Med which I've read but have forgotten the name. It was OK, she came off as pretty whiney though.
Gifted Hands By Ben Carson (Read)

I've only listed ones that I've read... there are a few more I have read that are escaping my mind... just go to amazon and type in "intern" and you'll find a list-load of books.

In my opinion, the best book your looking for is called:

"The Intern Blues"
(http://www.amazon.com/Intern-Blues-...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1214197848&sr=8-1)

Basically, a guy gave 3 interns (1st year residents), tape recorders to keep a audio diary of their 1st year of residency and then he made it into a book. Its a great read because it's all real, there are 3 of em', so you get different perspectives, based on their different situations and personalities. I thought the book was very entertaining. Let me know if you read it.

jeff

Members don't see this ad :)
There's another written by a woman doctor about her years at Harvard Med which I've read but have forgotten the name. It was OK, she came off as pretty whiney though.

I'm going to guess that you are thinking of

A Not Entirely Benign Procedure: Four Years As A Medical Student by Perri Klass.