I'm losing all hope

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

robg498

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm getting straight to the point. Here's the situation:

My Stats:

- 3.68 GPA
- I have 3 C's on transcript (Pre-calc, Spanish, Anatomy I)
- Haven't taken MCAT yet
* The main topic here * - I have 13 W's. 7 of them are medical, the other 6, well, I got behind almost 2 years in college because of health reasons, hence the first 7 W's, and lost motivation when I got back, so I made 6 terrible mistakes (3 one semester, 3 the next one) the next 1.5 years of college. I got back on track and I'm 3 semesters away from graduating if everything runs along nicely.

Do I have a chance getting in a US MD school? Should I switch paths? I was thinking that a good plan B would be getting into graduate school and go for a phD.

Members don't see this ad.

Like the above poster said it is hard to gauge without an MCAT score, but I wouldn't say all hope is lost. Adcoms know that people make mistakes, and it sounds like you got a little off track after your medical issues, but you came back from it. However, I think that if you want to go to medical school, you have to commit 100% to it, and having a PhD backup plan is "smart" but to me, it just seems like you are half-hearted about med school. Before you give up on the idea, exhaust all options. If you MCAT score isn't great, apply to DO schools as they are a little more understanding of past mistakes. A doctor is a doctor. Good luck!:thumbup: