I'm nervous

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lilnoelle

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I scheduled an appointment with a physician in charge of the integrated plastics residency department at my school in order to talk to him about shadowing, research and getting involved in the department.

I've actually been interested in Reconstructive Surgery for a while now but sort of discounted it when I realized how competitive it was and how much of what they do is vanity related verses medically necessary. (I personally prefer working with accident or burn victims over doing boob jobs)

Anyway, I decided I should go ahead and try to get involved and decide if I like it first hand rather than discount it based on what other people have told me.

But I'm nervous. I have very little experience in research and really very little to "brag" about as far as personal accomplishments. I'm not all that creative and don't have any research ideas. I don't really even know what is involved in medical research because I haven't done any yet.
I haven't shadowed any plastics surgeons yet (although I have seen some surgeries when shadowing a general surgeon).

I don't have any problem admitting that I'm wet behind the ears and can admit humbly that I am a newby to Plastics and research. Everyone has to start somewhere, right?

So what do you think? Am I gonna look ridiculous since I really have no idea what I'm doing? Or do you think this guy will realize that everyone has to start somewhere and once he realizes how little I know about research will guide me in the right direction.

Members don't see this ad.

I scheduled an appointment with a physician in charge of the integrated plastics residency department at my school in order to talk to him about shadowing, research and getting involved in the department.

I've actually been interested in Reconstructive Surgery for a while now but sort of discounted it when I realized how competitive it was and how much of what they do is vanity related verses medically necessary. (I personally prefer working with accident or burn victims over doing boob jobs)

Anyway, I decided I should go ahead and try to get involved and decide if I like it first hand rather than discount it based on what other people have told me.

But I'm nervous. I have very little experience in research and really very little to "brag" about as far as personal accomplishments. I'm not all that creative and don't have any research ideas. I don't really even know what is involved in medical research because I haven't done any yet.
I haven't shadowed any plastics surgeons yet (although I have seen some surgeries when shadowing a general surgeon).

I don't have any problem admitting that I'm wet behind the ears and can admit humbly that I am a newby to Plastics and research. Everyone has to start somewhere, right?

So what do you think? Am I gonna look ridiculous since I really have no idea what I'm doing? Or do you think this guy will realize that everyone has to start somewhere and once he realizes how little I know about research will guide me in the right direction.

My advice is to be very honest about the fact that you have little experience, but DON'T walk in without some ideas. Pick up a journal and read a few articles - see if anything in particular strikes your fancy or sounds interesting. Read a few things written by the guy you are meeting with as well.

I've found that most professors are more than willing to work with us noobs as long as we are willing to work hard and learn :).

Don't be so hard on yourself. If there were the expectation that you could come up with medically relevant research ideas without any experience, none of us would ever get a job in research. I've worked for my lab for 3 years, involved in every step of the process and been given independent projects, and still haven't come up with any exceptionally riveting research ideas. You generally need to know the ins and outs of the subject (as well as what has been done before) very well to come up with great research ideas.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd second the idea about being honest but also doing a little research beforehand. My take on talking to department chairs is that you can either impress them with your accomplishments or with your interest in their personal or departmental accomplishments (and a consequent desire to get involved), and admitting that you are wet behind the ears but showing that you know plastics is a competitive specialty and wish to get involved with it early on is a perfectly reasonable approach. Furthermore, doctors tend to get very talkative and supportive of you if you show interest in their specialty, and even moreso if you say you want to work for them for free to further their academic career (i.e. do research with them). So, get an idea of what your interviewer does, what the department focuses on in terms of research, and if there have been any major (i.e. newsworthy) research or clinical events in the department. And make sure to come with some questions to show that you have a genuine interest.
Also, are you interested in just facial reconstructive surgery or general reconstructive surgery? You might want to consider ENT with a plastics/reconstructive fellowship if you really just like facial reconstruction, as they get a lot less of the cosmetic stuff.

Most residency directors that I've met with really like teaching, and especially like teaching "newbies." I think it would be unfair for him to expect you to have an in-depth knowledge of the field. Plus, after all, you just want to shadow and maybe help out in some research - you're not asking to be listed as a principle author on a journal article right away!

Being honest with him about what interests you about plastics, but admitting that you don't know much about it (but are willing to work hard to learn more) is a great approach.

Good luck!

The face transplant guy from france was our surgical grand rounds speaker today. Interesting stuff, but very little on the ethical issues.

The face transplant guy from france was our surgical grand rounds speaker today. Interesting stuff, but very little on the ethical issues.

I think if that guy knew much about the ethical issues, he likely wouldn't have been speaking at any grand rounds anywhere :)

I have no experience with your particular situation, but here are my thoughts:

Can you talk to some of the profs that you do know and have them give you some pointers? I'm sure you can get up to speed on a few talking points very quickly.

My guess is that you also wouldn't want to put all my eggs in one basket. I would schedule some appointments with people in other areas you are interested in if at all possible; having options might put your mind at ease. You need to consider the possibility that this isn't an area you would like and that this isn't a good person / group to work with (think critically -- that might help with the nerves as well). :luck:

Yeah that's a serious issue regarding medical school. I have friends in Dentistry or even Biology for instance who constantly have to work with research. Medical School is usually a step behind these initiatives. Probably because of lack of time.
Well if you are studying in a University, instead of a simple School of medicine or college, I sugest you to make friends with someone who studies another scientific subject and often attend to meetings and forums of research method and stuff. They always provide that in Universities. That's what settles diferences between Universities and other instituitions. Universities produce knowledgement instead of simply reproducing.
Shadowing a surgeon isn't a bad idea too. You can learn more than what they think they're teaching you.

My guess is that you also wouldn't want to put all my eggs in one basket. I would schedule some appointments with people in other areas you are interested in if at all possible; having options might put your mind at ease. You need to consider the possibility that this isn't an area you would like and that this isn't a good person / group to work with (think critically -- that might help with the nerves as well). :luck:

Oh, I know, I'm shadowing a bunch of different physicians this summer. I'm gonna spend quite a bit of time with a group of Ophthalmologists that I know pretty well, I'm shadowing a surgeon, and hopefully will shadow a few Psychiatrists. Its just that I don't have tons of time for research, so I decided to go ahead and bite the bullet and pick research with my "favorite" choice.
There is a good chance I won't like Plastic Surgery. I have no way of knowing till I spend more time around it. Same with Psych. I like it in theory but don't know if I'll like it in practice. The Ophtho opportunities sort of fell into my lap because my husband works as a technician in a well know Ophtho practice (which also runs a local residency). I've known these physicians for quite a few years and they're really excited to help me out.

You know you're pretty set when Ophtho opportunities "fall in to your lap":p

Regardless, don't be nervous. You surgeon go getter types have a way of impressing people even when you're not trying. I would say all you need to do is pub-med his name, read all his abstracts for the past 3-10 years (depending on how publication heavy he is), find 2 or 3 articles that pique your interest and read them completely so that you have a basic understanding of the research that he does specifically. You're not expected to be at the stage of experimental design yet (and besides, he is probably already running projects for which he has a grant), but if you can convince him that you're interested in participating in his work specifically rather than just plastics in general, you stand a very solid chance of landing a job and some responsibility in the research.

Its just that I don't have tons of time for research, so I decided to go ahead and bite the bullet and pick research with my "favorite" choice.

And you made a really great choice. Maybe you won't like Plastics, but if you decide you really do, I'm sure you know by now that research is obligatory in order to have any chance of matching into it. The Integrated Plastics residencies are notoriously competitive, and no research basically means no spot. Strong work. Wish I had thought ahead as much as you are.