I'm new! A question to you all!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Son of Rooble

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greeting everyone, I attend a CC in Minnesota, this is mainly because I didn't do so hotly in HS, and also because of financial reasons. I consider getting a 2.8 a fail on my part. I'm far from dumb, but I did struggle with taking school "seriously" now I've gained a different perspective about school, that education is important, and that I would rather study full time than work at some minimum wage dump. I am willing to put in the hard work to achieve my goals and ambitions. I am an immigrant who has lived in this nation for ten years.
Questions for SDN members.
1. Is it wise attending CC, even if I am taking no science prerequisites? I am planning to take my General Credits.
2.Should I attend the University of Minnesota or a private college like Augsburg, Gustavus Adolphus College, Bethany Lutheran, Saint Benedict, St. Scholastica, Carleton, Saint Olaf, and Macalester. Or smaller Universities like Concordia, Bethel, Saint John's University, Hamline, Saint Thomas, etc..
My top Choices are, Carleton (Very competitive), Macalester (Dream transfer college), Hamline University, and Gustavus Adolphus College. I Personally despise the U of M, they are a research based school, thus the teaching suffers as result, I do not want to be taught by some inept grad student.
3. Should I do a Science major or a non-science major?
Personally, I'm an avid reader of the Classics, I would look forward to and enjoy a class teaching anything about Rome or Greece! A classics major would be a breeze for me but offers no future, in other words I have no backup plan. If I get rejected from dentistry school thus dashing my hopes and dreams to the dirty ground, I will most likely end up working a minimum wage job. :mad::mad::mad:
4. Do you think I will be in school for longer than four years?
I will save my science prerequisites for the four year, my other non-science prerequisites I will complete at the CC.
5. Will I have time to do more advance science classes if I am taking no prerequisites in the CC?
I want to be prepared for dentistry school, I focus on long term goals and not short term goals. There are a few upper level classes I want to try, such as Genetics, Molecular Biology, Cell Biology, Pathology, Histology, Virology, Human Anatomy, Immunology, Pharmacology, Microbiology, Human Physiology, and Biochemistry. How long will it take me to do those courses and when I can I take them? Make a list of what classes I can possibly take without being time consuming.
6. What math class do you recommend?
I don't mind taking Calculus, as long as I can apply it to dental school and life after dental school. I've heard Stats and Trig are very important, more so than Calculus.
Anyways sorry for wasting your time, if you could answer I would appreciate it. My CC counselors are worthless so I've helped myself, I know how to get to Dental School, what my GPA should be, etc... I've done my own research before coming here, I hope this at least will show you I am seriously dedicated!

Members don't see this ad.

Going to a community college is fine. Apparently a few schools don't accept there

credits ( I don't know which ones). I would personally do one year at a community

college if I could go back in time. Taking all your science classes in two years will be

a lot of work. Five years for a bachelors is pretty common so if takes more than four

years who cares. Just get your prereqs done in four years apply to d-school then finish

up your degree. I don't think you major or the school you attends matters to much as long as your grades and DAT are good.

The biggest thing is study and get good grades.

Edit: I think some schools do require calc check which schools you want to apply to. Oh and you will probably never use calc outside of math or physics

Last edited:
Thank you for the advice, should I transfer to a University or a private college? My biggest fear is that I will be taught by some inept grad student who is a mere child in my eyes. I want an actual teacher, not that I can't teach myself. I just don't want to be doing alot of self-teaching, if I wanted to do that I would have not even have plans to transfer. I want to get what I am paying for.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Is it wise attending CC, even if I am taking no science prerequisites? I am planning to take my General Credits.
1. As someone mentioned, some schools dont take CC classes.
2.Should I attend the University of Minnesota or a private college like Augsburg, Gustavus Adolphus College, Bethany Lutheran, Saint Benedict, St. Scholastica, Carleton, Saint Olaf, and Macalester. Or smaller Universities like Concordia, Bethel, Saint John's University, Hamline, Saint Thomas, etc..
My top Choices are, Carleton (Very competitive), Macalester (Dream transfer college), Hamline University, and Gustavus Adolphus College. I Personally despise the U of M, they are a research based school, thus the teaching suffers as result, I do not want to be taught by some inept grad student.
2. Go to school where is cheap, and its not so competitive, where you can get higher GPA.
Do a major in which you would enjoy. If dentistry is your dream job, don't think of a back up plan but just aim to become a dentist. If you want "back up" major, I would do a engineer, which starting salary is ok for even a bachelor holder ( don't know about job availability as of now) but it would b hard to get a good GPA. Or accounting major and if you fail to become a dentist, become an accountant.
I will save my science prerequisites for the four year, my other non-science prerequisites I will complete at the CC.
Yes and No. Depends how many classes you take per term. Average age entering dental student were 24 years old.
5. Will I have time to do more advance science classes if I am taking no prerequisites in the CC?
As I wrote, depends how many classes you can handle and do well per term. Also some schools have policy on how many units you can take before graduation or per term.
Up to precal would be good, since a good portion of QR is basic math.Some dental schools however requires calculus as part of prereq.

If you can cover the cost, go to a private school! Just not St. Thomas. And let's be real, you don't wanna go to Carleton, Macalester, or St. Olaf either. (snobs of course) Heck why would you wanna go to Augsburg or Hamline either? DO you wanna watch your football team eat dirt from your parking ramps (woops I meant your dorms) while SJU buries them? NO! No you don't! You wanna live behind the pine curtain, among our 6 on campus lakes, sippin Woodchuck at Bro Willies and gettin' tossed at Sal's. You don't just wanna go to school, you want to be part of a family that wears t-shirts bosting "Tommie girls: only hoovers suck more dirtballs." You want to go to CSB-SJU. Join us, my friend.

I work for admissions.

Greeting everyone, I attend a CC in Minnesota, this is mainly because I didn't do so hotly in HS, and also because of financial reasons. I consider getting a 2.8 a fail on my part. I'm far from dumb, but I did struggle with taking school "seriously" now I've gained a different perspective about school, that education is important, and that I would rather study full time than work at some minimum wage dump. I am willing to put in the hard work to achieve my goals and ambitions. I am an immigrant who has lived in this nation for ten years.
Personally, I'm an avid reader of the Classics, I would look forward to and enjoy a class teaching anything about Rome or Greece! A classics major would be a breeze for me but offers no future, in other words I have no backup plan. If I get rejected from dentistry school thus dashing my hopes and dreams to the dirty ground, I will most likely end up working a minimum wage job. :mad::mad::mad:
I want to be prepared for dentistry school, I focus on long term goals and not short term goals. There are a few upper level classes I want to try, such as Genetics, Molecular Biology, Cell Biology, Pathology, Histology, Virology, Human Anatomy, Immunology, Pharmacology, Microbiology, Human Physiology, and Biochemistry. How long will it take me to do those courses and when I can I take them? Make a list of what classes I can possibly take without being time consuming.
I don't mind taking Calculus, as long as I can apply it to dental school and life after dental school. I've heard Stats and Trig are very important, more so than Calculus.
Anyways sorry for wasting your time, if you could answer I would appreciate it. My CC counselors are worthless so I've helped myself, I know how to get to Dental School, what my GPA should be, etc... I've done my own research before coming here, I hope this at least will show you I am seriously dedicated!

1. It is ok to take a few lower division science classes at CC. However, there are some dental schools don't accept CC. These are a small amount.

2. I am curious how can you enroll a university with a 2.8 GPA in high school. More power to you if you can enroll top university with that GPA.

3. Do a science major to help you out with the DAT exam and dental school curriculums in the future. Furthermore, a science degree can open many doors to you so you don't have work minimum wage if you get rejected from dental school.

4. This will depend on you. Some people stay for five years and some graduate in 4 years. Honestly, I cannot tell at this point.

5. Advance science classes will definitely be a plus. You don't have to do all the upper division science classes. You can do a few plus the core classes. I recommend major in biology because you will have to take upper division science classes for the degree. The length to do the core classes for dental school is 1.5-2 years. So my advice is A's the core classes and do more upper division classes if you have time.

6. Take classes required by the dental schools that you want to apply plus the classes for your major. Go to the dental school websites and look for the required classes.

PS: Don't underestimate grad students who are teaching a class at college level. Some of these grad students are a lot better than the instructors with ph.D.

2. Go to school where is cheap, and its not so competitive, where you can get higher GPA.
Do a major in which you would enjoy. If dentistry is your dream job, don't think of a back up plan but just aim to become a dentist. If you want "back up" major, I would do a engineer, which starting salary is ok for even a bachelor holder ( don't know about job availability as of now) but it would b hard to get a good GPA. Or accounting major and if you fail to become a dentist, become an accountant.
Yes and No. Depends how many classes you take per term. Average age entering dental student were 24 years old.
As I wrote, depends how many classes you can handle and do well per term. Also some schools have policy on how many units you can take before graduation or per term.
Up to precal would be good, since a good portion of QR is basic math.Some dental schools however requires calculus as part of prereq.
Thank you, thank you! Very informative post! The Universities in this state are expensive, more so than the private schools. With private school, I have a chance to get alot of financial aid and scholarships. Besides I love the catlog descriptions of the competitive private college.
"240. Genetics A study of the transmission of genetic information between generations of organisms, and
of the mechanism of expression of information within an individual organism. The main emphasis will
be on the physical and chemical basis of heredity; mutational, transmissional and functional analysis of
the genetic material, and gene expression. Prerequisites: Biology 125 and 126 or permission of the
instructor. 6 credits, MS; NE, QRE, Winter, Spring—S. Singer, S. Zweifel"
Is it alot of hogwash? Will the courses be the same at a nearby University? It seems to me that there are alot to choose from in private colleges. I am paying for school, I want to be taught not a crummy lecture.

If you can cover the cost, go to a private school! Just not St. Thomas. And let's be real, you don't wanna go to Carleton, Macalester, or St. Olaf either. (snobs of course) Heck why would you wanna go to Augsburg or Hamline either? DO you wanna watch your football team eat dirt from your parking ramps (woops I meant your dorms) while SJU buries them? NO! No you don't! You wanna live behind the pine curtain, among our 6 on campus lakes, sippin Woodchuck at Bro Willies and gettin' tossed at Sal's. You don't just wanna go to school, you want to be part of a family that wears t-shirts bosting "Tommie girls: only hoovers suck more dirtballs." You want to go to CSB-SJU. Join us, my friend.
I work for admissions.
I will give that some taught. Do I hint a little biased views? :laugh:
Do you guys at Saint Benedict/Saint John's require me to summit ACT/SAT results?

1. It is ok to take a few lower division science classes at CC. However, there are some dental schools don't accept CC. These are a small amount.

2. I am curious how can you enroll a university with a 2.8 GPA in high school. More power to you if you can enroll top university with that GPA.

3. Do a science major to help you out with the DAT exam and dental school curriculums in the future. Furthermore, a science degree can open many doors to you so you don't have work minimum wage if you get rejected from dental school.

4. This will depend on you. Some people stay for five years and some graduate in 4 years. Honestly, I cannot tell at this point.

5. Advance science classes will definitely be a plus. You don't have to do all the upper division science classes. You can do a few plus the core classes. I recommend major in biology because you will have to take upper division science classes for the degree. The length to do the core classes for dental school is 1.5-2 years. So my advice is A's the core classes and do more upper division classes if you have time.

6. Take classes required by the dental schools that you want to apply plus the classes for your major. Go to the dental school websites and look for the required classes.

PS: Don't underestimate grad students who are teaching a class at college level. Some of these grad students are a lot better than the instructors with ph.D.
I am at a Community College, my 2.8 is what ruined my chances at starting a four university at the age of 18. I am willing to get a 4.0 in community college, easier said than done. :laugh::laugh::laugh:
Won't a degree in Biology hinder me? There are way too many Biology majors who are trying to get into Dental School. My Classics degree will make me seem exotic to the adcoms. A degree in Classics, my dental requirements taken, and a few advance science classes kicked out of the ballpark will be more than enough for me.

Thanks for the advice. I like your advice best among the advice I've gotten on here. How would I know which school isn't so competitive?

You can even take all of your prereqs at CC and still get in. You just can NOT apply to schools that don't accept them.

I am at a Community College, my 2.8 is what ruined my chances at starting a four university at the age of 18. I am willing to get a 4.0 in community college, easier said than done. :laugh::laugh::laugh:
Won't a degree in Biology hinder me? There are way too many Biology majors who are trying to get into Dental School. My Classics degree will make me seem exotic to the adcoms. A degree in Classics, my dental requirements taken, and a few advance science classes kicked out of the ballpark will be more than enough for me.

Sorry but a degree in "classics" (not even sure what that is) will not provide you an advantage. Predents give this myth way too much credit.

Go to a 4yr university where you can achieve the highest GPA, choose a science major that will prepare you in chem/bio so you can destroy the DAT, and study hard for the DAT. High stats are exotic to schools.

Greeting everyone, I attend a CC...
You're fine.

That's a long list. Go where you: 1) will be most likely to succeed (high GPA and will give you a good foundation to prepare for the DAT) and 2) be the happiest.
I transferred from cc to a top 20 university based on prestige and cost. My experience has been great but I sometimes think that I should have explored my options beyond the name brand and convenience. Check out all the schools that you get offers from and transfer to the one that you can see yourself at.
(also your undergrad school doesn't really matter as long as your GPA/DAT/Letters of Rec/ECs are good)

I think you should do a non-science major.

All other things equal like GPA and DAT, adcoms (admission committees) prefer prerequisites to be taken at a 4-year university. You are already at CC, which in itself is a disadvantage, if you took science classes there too you'd be further weakening your application.
Taking your since classes at a university (and doing well in them) will show dental schools that you can handle the same coursework that other applicants can.

Sorry to break it to you but...being a classics major is not going to help you get into dental schools. No one thinks they are exotic or well rounded. In fact you're going to have to convince adcoms to take you seriously because of it. I only say major in a non-science because prerequisites from cc seem like they would hurt your application more than your major.

Probably if you don't take multiple prereqs per semester after you transfer.
If you feel like you need to protect your GPA, space it out.

Okay I've got to run so I'll write this with all the rough edges...

You're not going to be able to take all of those. When the time comes when you can take upper div sciences, pick the ones that interest you the most and take them.
Non-science major + CC = time crunch

Take up till Calculus in CC, if you feel like you're good at Calc after 1 semester, take Calc 2. Ace every math class because it counts toward your science GPA (which is important).

You only need basic science for the DAT, nothing more complex than what you would have learned in high school.

Sorry but a degree in "classics" (not even sure what that is) will not provide you an advantage. Predents give this myth way too much credit.
Go to a 4yr university where you can achieve the highest GPA, choose a science major that will prepare you in chem/bio so you can destroy the DAT, and study hard for the DAT. High stats are exotic to schools.
Well thanks, the degree in Classical Studies or I was thinking of Anthropology, would that be useless? If it won't give me any advantage I would rather do a science major, would you recommond Microbiology? I am infatuated with microorganisms, those little critters bring me joy on boring days. I can breeze my way in a four year if I am studying something as easy for me as the Classics, I even read my first copy of the Iliad together with the Aeneid and the Odyssey at the mere age of 11. This is how obsessed I am with ALL things ANCIENT. Persian, Greek, ancient Indian, Roman, Vikings, etc... The history of ancient civilizations, the literature, myths, etc... It all makes me happy, science is my second love. I just scare away from the Calculus requirement that most degrees in the "sciences" require.

You're fine.

That's a long list. Go where you: 1) will be most likely to succeed (high GPA and will give you a good foundation to prepare for the DAT) and 2) be the happiest.
I transferred from cc to a top 20 university based on prestige and cost. My experience has been great but I sometimes think that I should have explored my options beyond the name brand and convenience. Check out all the schools that you get offers from and transfer to the one that you can see yourself at.
(also your undergrad school doesn't really matter as long as your GPA/DAT/Letters of Rec/ECs are good)

I think you should do a non-science major.

All other things equal like GPA and DAT, adcoms (admission committees) prefer prerequisites to be taken at a 4-year university. You are already at CC, which in itself is a disadvantage, if you took science classes there too you'd be further weakening your application.
Taking your since classes at a university (and doing well in them) will show dental schools that you can handle the same coursework that other applicants can.

Sorry to break it to you but...being a classics major is not going to help you get into dental schools. No one thinks they are exotic or well rounded. In fact you're going to have to convince adcoms to take you seriously because of it. I only say major in a non-science because prerequisites from cc seem like they would hurt your application more than your major.

Probably if you don't take multiple prereqs per semester after you transfer.
If you feel like you need to protect your GPA, space it out.

Okay I've got to run so I'll write this with all the rough edges...

You're not going to be able to take all of those. When the time comes when you can take upper div sciences, pick the ones that interest you the most and take them.
Non-science major + CC = time crunch

Take up till Calculus in CC, if you feel like you're good at Calc after 1 semester, take Calc 2. Ace every math class because it counts toward your science GPA (which is important).

You only need basic science for the DAT, nothing more complex than what you would have learned in high school.
Thank you sir or madam! You've answered all my questions. I am grateful!

I Personally despise the U of M, they are a research based school, thus the teaching suffers as result, I do not want to be taught by some inept grad student.
There are a few upper level classes I want to try, such as Genetics, Molecular Biology, Cell Biology, Pathology, Histology, Virology, Human Anatomy, Immunology, Pharmacology, Microbiology, Human Physiology, and Biochemistry. How long will it take me to do those courses and when I can I take them?

Chances are that the grad student that may end up teaching you is far from "inept", at least, if you are talking about sciences. The result of being thought by an "inept" grad student or an "inept" faculty (cc of university) will likely have similar outcomes. It is not exactly clear how you figure you will be able take your laundry list of courses in record time since it sounds like you will not begin your science adventure until after finishing 2 years at a cc. Taking calculus may or may be your choice.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=813958
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=527335
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=791511

Chances are that the grad student that may end up teaching you is far from "inept", at least, if you are talking about sciences. The result of being thought by an "inept" grad student or an "inept" faculty (cc of university) will likely have similar outcomes. It is not exactly clear how you figure you will be able take your laundry list of courses in record time since it sounds like you will not begin your science adventure until after finishing 2 years at a cc. Taking calculus may or may be your choice.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=813958
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=527335
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=791511
What are the most important advance courses I should take? I have heard that Pathology, Pharmacology, Histology, and Biochemistry are utterly brutal in Grad School. I have already decided to take Anatomy (Sophomore year), Physiology and Pharmacology. What others should I add to this list? Would Biochemistry be beneficial?

What are the most important advance courses I should take? I have heard that Pathology, Pharmacology, Histology, and Biochemistry are utterly brutal in Grad School. I have already decided to take Anatomy (Sophomore year), Physiology and Pharmacology. What others should I add to this list? Would Biochemistry be beneficial?

Sound like you lit the firecracker prematurely. You are jumping to biochemistry before taking organic. Unless you go to a bonafide university, you are not likely to find a worthwhile course to take from your list. It would help if you read the link to the requirements referenced earlier.

Sound like you lit the firecracker prematurely. You are jumping to biochemistry before taking organic. Unless you go to a bonafide university, you are not likely to find a worthwhile course to take from your list. It would help if you read the link to the requirements referenced earlier.
I made a mistake there, what I meant to say is that I would be taking my Anatomy course in my fourth year, second year of my science perquisites. My Biochemistry course would be in my fifth year at the Uni or private college.

....So according to you any school that conducts research is going to provide a sub-par education? Not to mention that the lectures themselves will not be taught by grad students, only the labs.

p.s. most of those "inept" grad students know their stuff more than you ever will with that attitude.

Son of Rooble you honestly need to calm down and go see an academic counselor. Spend time reading the FAQ of the thread before firing off a million questions.