SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

I'm new and have a question.

Discussion in 'Pre-Podiatry Students' started by Skiflit, Mar 27, 2007.

1. Skiflit

Skiflit New Member

May 16, 2006
    Is it too late to apply to Podiatry programs that start this fall? If not what schools would already be full and which are still accepting students? I just recently decided to go to Podiatry school and am not sure if I should apply now or just wait until next years application cycle. Any info would be much appreciated.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. justincredible

justincredible SCPM c/o 2011 2+ Year Member

Mar 15, 2007
    North Chicago, IL
    I think if you want to get in for this Fall you can, but you might be limited to only a few schools. By now, some schools may already be filled or close to filled. However, if you want to get for this Fall I would suggest getting the application in ASAP. The priorty deadline is April 1st I believe, but they still accept applications after this deadline, so depending on your stats and the strength of your application and when you get your application in, you do have a chance of getting in. Im not certain about the other schools, but I think Scholl is about 75% filled as of right now. Good luck ! :luck:

4. txlioness

txlioness Member 10+ Year Member

May 25, 2006
    I think it would depend on what you have already done so far.

Meaning, have you taken the MCAT, shadowed a DPM, got people to write your LORs (one from a DPM), completed most or all of your prereqs?

I think a few schools may be almost full. But most are still interviewing in April. If it is too much to scramble and get your application together, you may want to wait. But it's up to you! I started applying in early February 07, where as others have been accepted since Nov/Dec 06 timeframe or maybe even earlier.

If there are certain school you are interested in, you may want to give them a call and get some feedback on how the class is filling, guidance on if you should apply or not. :)

5. justincredible

justincredible SCPM c/o 2011 2+ Year Member

Mar 15, 2007
    North Chicago, IL
    :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

6. KHep

KHep Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Dec 6, 2003
    chicagoland
    DMU is full. Others are probably close to it or have enough interviewees lined up to fill up. I agree with calling the schools that you are interested in. The cost to apply is minimal, so if you have everything in order, and are sure that this is what you REALLY want to do, go ahead and apply. It can't hurt, but it could mean that you are done a year earlier!:)

7. 7385

7385 2+ Year Member

Nov 22, 2006
    I did not apply until Late march, was interviewed in April, and accepted that day. It is really dependent upon your MCAT and GPA, as well as experience and letters of ref. If podiatry is really what you want, and have thought long and hard about the commitment, just apply... what do you have to lose??

8. Dr_Feelgood

Dr_Feelgood Guest 10+ Year Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Iowa
    I completely disagree. I would suggest applying next year and getting your choice of schools not what is left over.

9. discusdan

discusdan Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Birmingham, MI

So...did the people in my class that got accepted in April, May and some even in the summer get what was left over or did they get their first choice? I agree with the idea that applying early is the best as there are more spots open. But, I know students that did apply late and got in to the school of their choice. You might have to go on a wait list but if this is what you want and you have a school in mind, why not apply and give it a shot?

10. Dr_Feelgood

Feb 16, 2006
    Iowa
    The people in your class that got in generally where on the waiting list unless they are lucky. Also, DMU has been seeing a major decrease in students that pay the deposit and do not matriculate.

Why not give it a shot?

-Maybe save $75-275.
    -If they wait until September they can have their choice of schools not rely on luck or settle.
    -They have not started the application process, even with the peddle to the medal it will take at least a week to get LOR, personal statement, application.

I don't know what this person's situation is, but my opinion is make some money working next year by applying in September and taking your time.

11. Feli

Feli ACFAS Member 5+ Year Member

Feb 1, 2007
    Clarkston, MI
    Some people don't wanna be 30 when they graduate.^
    Not to be mean, but you mentioned that you applied and intervied for medical doctor programs before pod schools, so what month were you accepted to DMU in?

I doubt any school except DMU is full. He could call and find out at the programs he's considering. Many students entering this fall are accepted to 2 or 3 pod schools but haven't put in a deposit or picked a school yet. This is the time of year when many MD/DO waitlisters are realizing they aren't gonna get in and begin looking for new options. Time is of the essence.

If OP has the stats and is ready to read and study hard, I'd recommend he apply. The only real downside to late application is that most good scholarships are spoken for by now. Also, you should complete your FAFSA immediately (you can always add/delete a school later).

12. diidy

diidy 5+ Year Member

Jan 20, 2007
    I agree. In theory its certainly not too late to apply. If you want it, go for it! Why not? But I agree that calling the schools you are most interested in before sending apps to all 8 schools is great advice, as some (like DMU) are filled. But hey, no guts no glory right? Good luck.

13. Dr. Gangrene

Dr. Gangrene AZPOD 2011 Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Aug 4, 2006
    Valley of the Sun

:thumbup:
    If podiatry is what you really want, there aren't many negatives too waiting (only one I think of is the waiting itself) and a lot of positives.

Adding to what feelgood listed, is the fact you are very late in the game w/ financial aid (especially if you are after a scholarship).
    If you are a strong canidate, better to make sure you get into a great school and not just get in.

14. Dr_Feelgood

Feb 16, 2006
    Iowa
    I'll be 27 (which I guess is closer to 30 then 25) when I graduate, thanks. The year I applied to pod schools, I only applied to pod schools. I had all of my interviews done by January and a seat deposit by February.

But you exemplified why I say wait ("This is the time of year when many MD/DO waitlisters are realizing they aren't gonna get in and begin looking for new options."). Podiatry is great but disgruntle MD/DO candidates may be disappointed with their choice if they rush into podiatry without doing his/her homework. I am speaking from my own unique experience (Year 1 MD-acceptance, Year 2 - MD wait-list, Year 3- podiatry) that rushing in is not the answer. If I would have found podiatry prior to the years of looking exclusively at MD, I would have saved money on applications. For other people, DO programs maybe better choice than DPM and b/c DO applications are closed; they are going from MD to DPM b/c of convenience. If anyone rushes into a $100K tuition debt they are a fool.

Remember what happened in Indiana Jones and Last Crusade, "Choose wisely."