I'm new, and was wondering...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MidnightSun32

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been checking out this site for the past week or so (and wow! I love it!) and have read a lot of good info. I am only a sophomore undergrad so I have a little while to go but was wondering if there were any classes I should take that aren't obvious with my majors. I'm double majoring in Biology and Chemisty with a forenic science & music minor (I play a few instruments and it's just fun; the forensic science minor was because those classes were interesting).

I am 24, and actually was an Operations Manager for a couple large companies but really felt like I wasn't fulfilling my dream so here I am in school again.... and hopefully, I'll make it to med school :)

Sorry if this question is kind of a repeat but I really just want to try and be prepared :) :)

Members don't see this ad.

Taking both chemistry and biology as a major will definitely aid in you not having to take any extra science classes. However, my advice would be to reduce the courseload and just major in biochemistry. You're going to get a lot more non-applicable classes doing a double major than you will as a single major.

2 majors + 2 minors? why?

I can't think of any advantages of doing that in getting into med school. But if you're doing it just for fun and you really love learning then I do it. But if you want to get into med school, just major in what you like and take the prereqs. It's better to get great grades than having 2 majors + 2 minors and just ok grades, you know? Besides, taking those majors and minors would just extend your stay in college.

Members don't see this ad :)
agree, dont pick multiple majors and minors just to impress schools. All that really matters is MCAT, gpa, and extracurriculars. Its important that you maximize these three factors.

Taking both chemistry and biology as a major will definitely aid in you not having to take any extra science classes. However, my advice would be to reduce the courseload and just major in biochemistry. You're going to get a lot more non-applicable classes doing a double major than you will as a single major.

Ditto with the Biochemistry. Assuming that your school has a good rigourous program.

Biology is so diverse (and will become even more so in the future) that a general bio degree is almost useless. I would do Biochem (which has a much better employment outlook in case you don't do medicine), and then take some additional Bio classes in subjects that interest you.

Also, recommend statistics (as offered by a math department).

Remember, major in something that you enjoy.

agree, dont pick multiple majors and minors just to impress schools. All that really matters is MCAT, gpa, and extracurriculars. Its important that you maximize these three factors.

Ditto to this one as well, if you overextend yourself and get poor grades because you're trying to do to much, having multiple majors won't help you one bit.

2 majors + 2 minors? why?

I can't think of any advantages of doing that in getting into med school. But if you're doing it just for fun and you really love learning then I do it. But if you want to get into med school, just major in what you like and take the prereqs. It's better to get great grades than having 2 majors + 2 minors and just ok grades, you know? Besides, taking those majors and minors would just extend your stay in college.

I picked a double major because I love those subjects. The minors are because that's what I had additional credits for (I am interested in forensics as an interest so I took enough classes to count), and well I still have a couple left more music but I just enjoy that part... I have a 4.0 so far. The double major was only 30 credits more, so I decided to go for it. :) I'd rather take classes I enjoy plus needed classes rather than just be bored through it all.

Also- overextending myself isn't a problem at all yet. I am used to working longgggggg hours (at least 70) a week so now that I don't work, I've had a lot of extra time.

Really if you're doing well I don't think you're overextended. Just do what you want!! I think the best thing is being able to walk into an interview and talk about an awesome class, major, music, etc. That's what you'll be remembered and accepted for...

You will get a lot of non-applicable classes with bio - I felt botany wasn't that great and some schools require a lot. But hey you get some extra knowledge and any major will have that. Do be sure to take some biochem and stats because some schools don't require it. AND job shadow, volunteer, try out some research, and hang with friends. Sound like you're in good shape!

Really if you're doing well I don't think you're overextended. Just do what you want!! I think the best thing is being able to walk into an interview and talk about an awesome class, major, music, etc. That's what you'll be remembered and accepted for...

You will get a lot of non-applicable classes with bio - I felt botany wasn't that great and some schools require a lot. But hey you get some extra knowledge and any major will have that. Do be sure to take some biochem and stats because some schools don't require it. AND job shadow, volunteer, try out some research, and hang with friends. Sound like you're in good shape!

Thanks!! It helps to hear that! Yeah, I had to take Botany and I really wasn't interested in plants but I had a great teacher who made it interesting. I've started volunteering at a hospital and then getting involved in a few clubs at school (one of which is for pre-meds so I can get some shadowing experience too). I've been inquiring about some research but haven't done anything with that yet. My advisor set me up with statistics and calc I & II also. Math isn't my favorite but it's never been very hard. I have to say- I'm really enjoying school and I wouldn't have felt that way if I didn't work right after HS lol. I also provide tutoring for students for free but I don't do it because I want it to help me with med school.

This site has been helping a lot with the ?s I've had about what I need, which is awesome. :)

well, i don't suggest going for all those degrees. feel free to take the courses you love, but u shouldn't pick up a major or minor just because you can. if you really want to, go ahead, but don't feel like you should because it may look good.

most of the suggested science classes you should take will be in the bio major (genetics, biochem, etc.). just make sure you get to take a lot of non science courses that interest you while you still can! a courseload with great depth and variety always looks good.

I picked a double major because I love those subjects. The minors are because that's what I had additional credits for (I am interested in forensics as an interest so I took enough classes to count), and well I still have a couple left more music but I just enjoy that part... I have a 4.0 so far. The double major was only 30 credits more, so I decided to go for it. :) I'd rather take classes I enjoy plus needed classes rather than just be bored through it all.

Also- overextending myself isn't a problem at all yet. I am used to working longgggggg hours (at least 70) a week so now that I don't work, I've had a lot of extra time.
I know what you mean. I took some time off school and just worked long hours too. When I quit and just focused on school, it felt as if I have all these time in the world, lol..

Well, good luck. It seems like you like what you're doing so you'll do great at it.

Philosophy! I recommend that you take a few philosophy classes. The difficult reading required will help you with the verbal reasoning section of the MCAT and probably help you with both Biological sciences and physical sciences sections as well (because they are passage based).

clueless- finally! someone who knows what i mean lol. it's funny because my professors and classmates are trying to figure out how i'm pulling off some of these test scores but i think it's just because i was always going, going and had tons of pressure at work but now i just study and go to class which has been easy... i have to admit though, i like school much better than balancing profit and loss statements and firing people lol.

cactus- i haven't gotten that suggestion yet! so thank you :) :)

I agree with the idea of philosophy classes. A logic class especially is the best. A computer programming class might be cool too.

As far as ECs

Shadowing is good, but is better for your information is the least regarded form of clinical experience. Volunteering at a hospital, nursing home, hospice clinic is much better. (My hospice volunteering was what everyone asked about in my interviews).

Research is good too, though not better than clinical exp. Research is really only impressive if you publish or at the least present. If you join a group, try to find one that will let you do an independent project.

OP - it doesn't sound like these posters are phasing you, and I'm on your side.

I did a double major and triple minor - and guess what- not one of them was biology or chemistry. My grades didn't suffer a bit, and Ill be in med school next fall.

Take classes in what you love. Good grades will be easier to achieve that way.

Thanks!! It helps to hear that! Yeah, I had to take Botany and I really wasn't interested in plants but I had a great teacher who made it interesting. I've started volunteering at a hospital and then getting involved in a few clubs at school (one of which is for pre-meds so I can get some shadowing experience too). I've been inquiring about some research but haven't done anything with that yet. My advisor set me up with statistics and calc I & II also. Math isn't my favorite but it's never been very hard. I have to say- I'm really enjoying school and I wouldn't have felt that way if I didn't work right after HS lol. I also provide tutoring for students for free but I don't do it because I want it to help me with med school.

This site has been helping a lot with the ?s I've had about what I need, which is awesome. :)

My dad always said "if your work is your hobby, then it's not really work"...it seems like that is the case with you. You are doing great GPA-wise so why drop majors?

Make sure you start doing some clinical/community service stuff, too, though...get involved in ECs, student government, volunteering...you want your whole application to shine...not just your degrees and grades.

Best of luck!

P.S.: I really enjoyed psychology classes...intro to and abnormal psych were fun, interesting, and not too demanding.

Thanks- it's great to see some encouragement too :) I definitely agree with your dad on "if your work is your hobby, then it's not really work." I feel that way for sure! I don't plan on dropping any minors or majors- I don't have a reason too.... maybe if I was even close to getting Bs I'd consider it. I've thought about some psych classes but I don't think I'll be able to cram any in lol. I am just getting started with a hospial in town for volunteer work and am starting to look around for a few more things. I have to do research at my school and present it I learned so at least that will help somewhat.

Thanks for your comments!