I'm new here, help me out!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

easy breathing

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, guys,

first time here.
I was reading through threads and got little confused.
why do people take NBDE?
don't you just need to take DAT?
by the way, my status is F-1 as well,
and currently a undergrate student at UCSD.

please, someone explains to me!
I feel totally lost here. XD

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, guys,

first time here.
why do people take NBDE?

ARE YOU A FOREIGN TRAINED DENTIST? iF NO, I AM SORRY YOU R IN THE WRONG THREAD.

Hi, guys,

first time here.
why do people take NBDE?

Most peole who use this- international dental forum are already dentists in a country outside the US and/or Canada. To practice in these countries one sits for the NBDE. If you want to dental education in the US or Canada, DAT is the way to go.(you said u are undergraduate).
Hope this helps

Hi, guys,

first time here.
why do people take NBDE?

Hi Easybreathing,
According to what I understand is that if you have done your preliminary education (high school etc) from the United States and wish to go for Dentistry as a profession you have to give DAT. DAT helps to get you in 4 or 3 year of regular DDS/DMD program. However, to get a license for practicing you have to meet the pre-requisites of the respective State Licensure Board and almost all of them require all the students of these DDS/DMD program to take a clinical exam and pass or clear the National Board Part 1 and Part 2(some states have Part 3 and Part 4 also).
In case of the students (--this forum) they are already dentists from their home country but want to practice in USA, so they have to meet the same requirements for licensure as above. By virtue of being a dentist already, they can give the NBDE 1 & 2 but to clear the clinical exam they have to be trained in an institute recognized by the American Dental Association and the Licensing authority so they have to enter the dental schools in US. And most of the schools I mean all of them accept the NBDE scores as a standard scale to choose few of these international dentists. Selected international dentists get trained in the final 2 years of the 4 year regular DDS/DMD program.

Hope this will throw some light. You can also call the ADA and ask the same questions.

Resource -- VARIOUS PEOPLE I met in last couple of years. If I am wrong, please be invited to correct it.

Last edited: